I'm Closing My Amazon Account

Discussion in 'Shopping & Sales' started by Denise Evans, May 13, 2024.

1. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

I've finally had enough of Amazon's screw-ups, and since I'm moving to a good "shopping" area I want to delete my Amazon account.

They have constantly sent my refunds to a Gift Card, without notice, and also, charged to my Amazon Credit Card through synchrony bank, when my Original Payment Method is clearly set to my Debit Card.

I used to think what a great deal it was to shop online, and actually most of it was good but I'm not going to spend my time going through everything on Amazon trying to find out what they hell is going on. I know how to navigate their crazy site, and definitely did not select Amazon Credit Card to be OPM. I never have selected it to be my OPM!!

No wonder Bezos and now, his new CEO are so filthy rich. How they can have such a convoluted website with all their money I'll never know. Plus Customer service is 99% foreigners trying to speak English. Gee I can't wait til all the illegals have jobs in America and we no longer have English speaking workers at all!

Last edited: May 13, 2024
  2. Jacob Petersheim

Jacob Petersheim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Sorry you had so much trouble. I don't do a lot of returns and I didn't bite on the Amazon Credit Card so maybe that's part of why our experiences differ.

I've had far more trouble with other online shopping, but that's just my experience.

3. Denise Evans

Registered

I think if I just delete the Amazon Credit Card (at synchrony bank) I won't be getting any charges to it ;) I'd like to keep the account (prime) for backup, but I'm thinking for now, shopping in person will be better, especially with clothing and shoes ;) I'm glad you're not having the same trouble Jacob ;) Denise

4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That's always the best option, but there are no stores around me (or perhaps there are darned few) that carry clothes. And I don't see how any clothing store can stay in business if most people go there to try stuff on, then go home and buy it off the web.

5. Denise Evans

Registered

I've had to return so many things that were not the comfy (material-wise, cheap polyester from china), or just didn't fit me right. I have shopped heavily online since Covid, but basically since 2016 when I moved into this town. I was going to start sewing again, clothing, but found that material was non-existent in this town as well. Online it was so expensive, I just wrote that off as an idea :(

6. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Amazon has been wonderful for us, but we never got the Amazon credit card from that fear, plus I don't need any more credit cards. I don't return much, but I almost never order clothing online except simple T-shirts. I never trust the photos and descriptions. I do sometimes buy for my wife online--not Amazon though--and it is hit or miss whether it is a good thing. It used to be my fall-back gift for her--clothing. I used to buy a lot of dresses for her, but it is not possible to buy them anywhere any more, so my fall-back gift now is a spa treatment gift card. That hasn't failed yet!

7. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Amazon has worked really well for me, and I have not had any problems with returns. I actually prefer the credit back to a gift card rather than to my amazon credit card, because it credits back SO much faster.
    I hardly ever buy clothes, and when I do it is usually from the thrift shop here, and they last forever; so that is not an issue with Amazon for me, either.
    Mostly, it has been something like a coffee pot or yogurt maker that was missing parts, and I just return it and order another one or amazon replaces it, so it always has worked out okay for me.

You should be able to choose how you want to pay for an item. My account shows my amazon card and my bank card, although I just use the amazon card to pay, or gift cards when I have that. I do online surveys that pay gift cards for rewards, and i use that when I have gift cards.
    Hopefully, this takes care of your amazon issues, and you are happy just going somewhere to shop in a store again, Denise.

8. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Same here. I've been an Amazon customer since 1996 when it was just a bookstore. I have an Amazon Visa as the default payment which gives generous cash back rewards that more than pay for our Prime membership. I don't care whether a refund goes back to the credit card or to a gift card because I'm sure I will spend it ASAP. :D:D

I don't buy clothing for me from Amazon because I know the department store brands that fit me so I buy clothing from Macy's, Dillard's or Kohl's. I do order stuff for my husband since Amazon carries Levis and good quality t-shirts. I have noticed the "Try Before You Buy" program at Amazon which apparently allows you to order a few things to try on before you get charged for them. You have the option of keeping or returning before the charge ever hits your card.

Sorry you're having a problem, Denise.

9. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I used to buy all of my clothes from JC Penney. After the stores closed I order t-shirts online that were the equivalent of the ones I liked so much. They were thinner than cheesecloth. I hate the online clothes experience.

Jacob Petersheim and Don Alaska like this.
  10. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I have never used the try before you buy option, either, but I had a friend who used that and she liked it a whole lot.
    She LOVED buying clothes (she has since passed away is why I am referring to her in past tense), and she was always telling me about all of the clothing and shoes that she would buy from Amazon, and then just return what she didn’t like or didn’t fit her like she thought it would.
    Since she didn’t have to pay for anything she didn’t keep, she never had to worry about getting money returned from Amazon.

11. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Stitch Fix is also a type of online shopping store. Well, I guess it's more like a personal shopper or stylist. They pick clothes that they think you would like. I think it was 5 different things in an order.? You keep what you like and send the rest back, or keep it all. My niece used to use it all the time. She liked it.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  12. Denise Evans

Registered

Well it was so comforting to know that you all have such good luck with shopping online good for you

13. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

My wife uses Stitch Fit and likes it well enough to keep using it. I tried it, but they still couldn't get the sizes right after three tries, so I canceled. Most of my clothes are Cardhartt, but a Tractor Supply Store here in town stocks them. I've tried buying Carhartt via Amazon, but I received shirts that were much thinner than the ones I bought at the Tractor Supply Store. I don't know if Carhartt makes a cheaper product for Amazon or if these were knock-offs that used the Carhartt brand. I can still get the better ones at the Tractor Store. I do most of my shopping on Amazon.

Don Alaska and Krystal Shay like this.