Interesting Science Stuff

Discussion in 'Science & Nature' started by Thomas Windom, Mar 6, 2023.

1. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

John Houlihan and Marie Mallery like this.
  2. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I may tune in from time to time, as long as it is not all about health and our deteriorating minds and bodies;)

Thomas Windom likes this.
  3. Thomas Windom

Registered

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Thomas Windom

Registered

Interesting observations about the trouble with bees.

5. Thomas Windom

Registered

It appears that Mother Nature doesn’t want us to live in space.
    https://www.sciencealert.com/new-st...effect-on-astronaut-bones-from-being-in-space

It seems though that it would not be such a problem to design a craft that had a 1 g spin. Maybe I’m missing something.
    edit: after reading a bit more, I’m missing a number of things. This was one of the more interesting of them.

”A structure with a radius of 224m rotating at 2 rotations per minute will generate 1g of force on the inside (spincalc). It will generate that force on the feet, but as you travel up the body the amount of force applied reduces.”

Variable “gravity” along our bodies? I’d probably be continuously nauseous, probably screw with all kinds of things.

https://space.stackexchange.com/que...-a-station-need-to-be-to-produce-1g-gravity-f

Mary Stetler and Marie Mallery like this.
  6. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Did you hear about the Great Pyramid's circumference? It is almost exactly like the earths Pi aka 3.14. And the windows point to the two constellation's Orion and Pleades spoken of in the Bible. A lot of science and mystery in Egypt.
    I used to like to study things like this.

Celia Jenkins and Mary Stetler like this.
  7. Thomas Windom

Registered

I have been following this company for over a year. Tomorrow is supposed to be the day but they have had several delays since I’ve been watching them. This is almost worthy of being called a revolution. Relativity Space has the technology to turn rocket manufacturing completely on its head. They own the largest 3D metal printers in the world. They can print an entire rocket, INCLUDING the engines.

What does this mean? Incredibly short production cycles, like about 60 days to build a complete rocket. Much simpler product with drastic reduction in parts, 100 times fewer parts. Minimal supply chain issues, they don’t need to wait for parts, they just print them. Anyway, Launch Monkey has them still on schedule for their first launch tomorrow at 1:00 PM. Fingers crossed; as I said, they’ve had a number of delays. 22+ hours and counting.

https://www.spacelaunchschedule.com/launch/terran-1-good-luck-have-fun-maiden-flight/

Last edited: Mar 7, 2023
    Bobby Cole and Mary Stetler like this.
  8. Thomas Windom

Registered

Bobby Cole likes this.
  9. Thomas Windom

Registered

Livestream of launch in less than 30 minutes.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  10. Thomas Windom

Registered

11. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

12. Thomas Windom

Registered

Actually, nuclear fusion research has been continuously chugging along and there have been some really interesting advances. South Korea has achieved some record temperatures, a new American design is showing some promise and one of the most interesting developments addresses one of the most vexing problems.

The containment of the plasma by magnetic fields has been a huge problem, trying to continually adjust the complex fields to contain this imprisoned plasma. Coming into contact with anything in the chamber contaminates the plasma and things stop. Someone developed a self-learning AI that’s one mission in life is to learn to control the magnetic fields to successfully contain the plasma. I’m slightly optimistic that, before I check out for good, I might get to see success. We don’t very often get to witness technological revolutions. I think that would qualify and I’d love to live to see it.

Some recent news…
    https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/nuclear-fusion-reaction-us-announcement-12-13-22/index.html

Bobby Cole and Mary Stetler like this.
  13. Thomas Windom

Registered

Don Alaska likes this.
  14. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes, I was told that all men who live long enough will get prostate cancer but chances are they would not die of it. I think it was told to them to calm their fears about possibly getting it.
    Is it working?

15. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

My doctor told me that if I were twenty years older when I was diagnosed, they wouldn't have recommended radiation or surgery, and that this was an option even at fifty.

Don Alaska likes this.