Iphone Or Digital Camera

Discussion in 'Hobbies & Crafts' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Jun 9, 2021.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Was wondering how much financial loss the digital camera industry has gone thru since so many people use their iPhone for photography and even video. I see very few people today using a digital camera, buy many, many using their iPhones for pictures/video.

We take pictures with both, our iPhones and our descent Canon Digital Camera. For video, we use either of those two, but also have a Samsung Video Camera that records video on small DVD discs. We can actually take the disc out of the video camera and play on our Blu-Ray DVD Player.

For some coliseum/arena events, digital cameras aren't allowed unless a permit is attached to the camera that is got (free) from the Media Office of the event.

Now, what I'm wondering is, what's the difference between taking photos with a digital camera or an iPhone? Even if an Announcer comes over the arena speaker system and says "sorry, no photography or video is allowed", somebody is going to use their iPhone. I've seen this happen a number of times.

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I think that more and more people are using their iPhones to take photos with. You would have to have a pretty expensive camera to even compare with the quality of the newer iPhone cameras. They even use an iPhone when making movies nowadays, so you know the quality has to be excellent for Hollywood to do this.
    We never carried a camera around, so unless I knew that I was going to be taking pictures of something, my camera was put away at home. My phone usually goes wherever I go, so it is easy to take a picture if I see something that I want to photograph.
    Something that I just love about my iPhone camera is Live Photo’s , which take a 2-3 second video of whatever you are taking a picture of. So, if someone is waving and saying hello to you, then you can not only have the picture of them doing this, but a very short video with sound of the same thing.

As far as using phones to photograph an event, it is probably going to be almost impossible to stop people from doing this. However, the older cameras had flashbulbs that went off when someone was taking a picture in low lighting, which was annoying and disruptive, so the phone camera is not such a problem in that way either.

Here is a video that compares an iPhone 11 Pro to a $7500 camera, and you have to look hard to guess which one is which.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  3. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

I just looked on our local Best Buy website and it's shocking how many digital cameras are for sale on their site. Amazon is the same way, page after page of digitals.
    Don't know how good they are selling, but, with as many as are listed/showing, not everyone is into using their iPhone as a camera or they use both. However, from what I've seen, very few use a digital camera anymore. Except, of course, some amateur and all professional photographers.

4. D'Ellyn Dottir

D'Ellyn Dottir Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

There are even iPhone photography lessons given in a self-paced manner to learn the more intricate tips for great photos. Hard for digital camera industry to compete with iPhone for the average person who just wants selfies, and pics of their dog, boyfriend and lunch.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Originally, my wife was taking photos with her phone, and I bought a small digital camera for my use. As time went on, she still uses her phone for routine stuff and stuff she is going to post on social media, but she has also taken over my camera for photos of "special" stuff and things that require a zoom, such as some flowers and wildlife.

Marie Mallery and Ed Wilson like this.
  6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Yes, unlike a digital camera, zooming with an iPhone can be a pain-in-the butt. And, on newer digital cameras, there is no viewfinder, only the screen on the back of the camera. I had to buy a small folding/detachable sunscreen to clip onto the screen on the back of the digital to see better. It works very, very good.

Don Alaska and Ken Anderson like this.
  7. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

iPhone screens can be almost impossible to use for photography in full sunshine.

Don Alaska and Ken Anderson like this.
  8. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I much prefer a regular camera to my iPhone because I have never liked the quality of photos taken with my iPhone. However, I have taken more photos with my iPhone than with my camera because, although I don't religiously carry my iPhone with me everywhere, I do carry it more often than I do my camera.

John West and Don Alaska like this.
  9. Ken Anderson

I hate that. I much prefer a viewfinder.

Ed Wilson and Cody Fousnaugh like this.
  10. Yvonne Smith

Are you referring to pictures from your new iPhone 12 , Ken, or pictures from your old (old, old) iPhone 7 ? The new iPhone has 3-4 separate cameras, and does amazing things that the old iPhones could not do.

Both my son and my daughter that are photo-bugs have the newest iPhones, and often specifically buy them for the brand new camera features. They also have regular expensive cameras, and use each one, depending on what they want to shoot pictures of. Since the regular camera has a tripod stand and can be more stable than a hand-held one, this is what my son uses for things like wedding and birthday photos, but he uses the iPhone for outdoors-inspired photos, and it is easier for him to take on his motorcycle.

Part of the reason that there are so many cameras on sale might be because they can’t sell them like they used to, and need to clear them out, @Cody Fousnaugh .
    This same thing has happened with wristwatches, because so many people have changed over to a smart watch that is also an activity tracker. Unless it is a special name brand watch like a Rolex that people wear because of the name, people are refusing to spend the money for a plain watch when they could have a watch/phone/activity tracker, all for the same price.

11. Ken Anderson

Yeah, I see that it's supposed to be fancier. The actual photos are substandard, though, as iPhone photos always look photos that have been left out in the sun too long.

12. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I was thinking about that too. I guess the iPhone is like a handgun; it may not be as good as a rifle or shotgun, but you are much more likely to have it on you. I know lots of people here who were damaged or nearly so by wildlife because they had a rifle but it was back at the tent because they hadn't seen any bears or whatever for the entire trip to the point of the encounter.

13. Yvonne Smith

I just this minute went outside and took this picture of the first blooms on the Rose of Sharon (hibiscus) with my iPhone 11. You can see the tiny raindrops on the photo, and I totally can’t see why you would call it “left out in the sun too long”.
    Please do explain ?

3B4A028C-E1A9-4C90-B036-0EBED79AC8C9.jpeg

Ken Anderson likes this.
  14. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

On our last Panasonic digital camera, the screen on the back went out. Still had the viewfinder, but, without the back screen, couldn't adjust anything. I called Panasonic and they told that "the cost of fixing/replacing the back screen, you might as well buy a new camera." So, we gave that camera, and all accessories, to a place that does lessons in digital photography. They loved getting it.

Now, I'm like everyone else here, my iPhone is with me all of the time, whereas our Canon digital isn't.

15. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Excellent picture, Yvonne. But, for those that have used a digital camera for many years, they could like a digital camera picture better. One that is taken in "Micro" (very up close).

During, and after, the blizzard we had here in March, I used both my iPhone and digital camera to take photos. The good thing about using my iPhone, I could easy send the pictures and/or video thru Instant Messaging to someone in our family. Can't do that with a digital camera; at least the one we have.