Is Profane Language Allowed Here?

Discussion in 'Help Requests' started by Jo White, Dec 1, 2021.

1. Jo White

Jo White Well-Known Member
    Registered

Would like to clarify what language is acceptable and what is not on this board, because it happens, who can say why, that I curse like a sailor in real life.

My favourite curse word - and believe me it gets used a lot - is 'clusterfuckery' because it perfectly describes the world today and everything happening in it. A day does not pass without invoking that word.

Thing is, the world is not just a 'gosh awful mess', it is a clusterfuckery of the highest order.
    Where is the line drawn, please and thank you in advance.
    To be clear, I limit such language to describe situations, not people. Although they do get used quite often to describe politicians. . . .

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2021
    Beth Gallagher likes this.
  2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I serious doubt, either Yovonne or Ken will allow that kind of language on here. And, we do have Christians that are members on here. I know, for myself, I definitely wouldn't want to see it. And, if it was allowed, for whatever reasons, I might seriously consider leaving the forum.

Only my opinion, but, without a doubt, I'm sure, very sure, that there are other members on here that would feel the same way!

3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Ken has one basic rule for this forum, and it is one that we all do our best to follow (even though we sometimes miss the mark occasionally).
    The basic rule is to try not be offensive, and try to not be too easily offended.

Language definitely fits under this heading. Even though we have all probably been exposed to filthy language and “four-letter-words” in our life, many of us do not like to hear those words used in a general discussion.
    Most of us here have enough education and consideration that we can express ourselves without resorting to offensive language.

Hope this explains things for you @Jo White . Ken is traveling right now, but you can always send him a PM if you have more questions about what is offensive, and he can explain things further.

4. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

I have never resorted to using what I personally class as offence language in my life and I still cringe when I hear 4 letter words in movies on TV that hubs may be watching .

Ive been told in the past “it’s my problem” that I find it offensive and I accept that.

I’ve never seen any offensive language used on this forum and I must be a “senior member” by now :):):)
    cause I’ve been hanging around here since about 2015 :)

5. Hugh Manely

Hugh Manely Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Thanks for that post Yvonne, that's the way all forums should be. I've left three forums so far, when bad language was directed at me, personally, and its no fun at all.

The last time, believe it or not, the person was banned for only about two weeks, the post was deleted, and the staff let them back in, much to my disappointment. I immediately left the forum. I am easy to get along with, but I could not be associated with anyone who could say such things and get away with it.

6. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

I think profanity is just a lazy man's way to make a point instead of putting forth a little effort to be more eloquent. It doesn't have to be fancy.

7. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I have no problem with an occasional "bomb." :D Sometimes it just gets the job done. :p

8. Joe Smith

Joe Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

'Nuff said.

9. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Gee, I think I've used the slang for "poop" here. Oops.

But I would not drop the "F" bomb.

10. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I do not think it necessary to resort to actual foul words. I am guilty of subbing letters - S&^%. I think people get the message without having to resort to spelling it - or they can sub it for their own word. If allowed to use certain bad language it will just escalate, and be abused like everything else in our lives.
    @Jo White - constant cursing without cause shows lack of confidence, and creativity.

Joe Smith and Don Alaska like this.
  11. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I think most of you would not want to ride with me driving. :p

12. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

My husband said he swore like a trooper while at work however I’ve never heard him use foul language

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  13. Bruce Andrew

Bruce Andrew Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I don’t need to hear it here.

14. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

saying dirty words in private or with someone who knows you well is not same thing;)

15. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Concerning words of color or colorful language

It always tickles me that saying the "F bomb" is somehow less offensive than using uck prefaced by an f. Most here say they prefer short posts so a single "word of color" can sometimes replace several words.

Example:
    OVERKILL: He is a belligerent inconsiderate rude self-centered jerk.
    TO THE POINT: He is an ass.

Sometimes just being a donkey isn't accurate enough and being a rectum is a better description, thus the addition of the word hole added on to ass. Thus saying he is a donkey's rectum in one word is a time and space saver and says it all:D

Last edited: Dec 2, 2021
    Mary Robi and John West like this.