Is Soc Addictive?

Discussion in 'Comments on Forum' started by Faye Fox, Jan 28, 2023.

1. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Do you feel that SOC is addictive?

Do you view the forum planning not to log in but then you can't fight the urge?

Do you find yourself spending more time on the forum than you planned?

Are other aspects of your life going unaddressed because you spend too much time on SOC?

Note that these questions address only SOC, not other forums or social platforms.

Do you value getting a like over a response even if the response is a positive one?

Some days I find myself spending way too much time on here and letting other things slide until they must be addressed. Many times I just view the forum and have no intention of logging in or posting, but the urge to reply to a post overcomes my original plan and time allowance. Then I find other posts that I feel need my input and then I realize that the clock is ahead several hours from my original allocated time.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  2. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I say YES and amen to that!
    I have a wake etc to get to today and am working chores AND soc around it.

Marie Mallery and Faye Fox like this.
  3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't feel that it's addictive, but I do like to check in every day to see what everyone is up to.

Of course, I believe the internet in general is definitely addictive. When our cable goes out for a few hours I get freaked. :D:D

4. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I spend more of my time on a couple other forums. I like cars so one is a drag racing forum. I like marksmanship so another one is a Maryland specific shooting forum and I’m a geezer so I joined here. I touch base on a home theater forum because I like movies, music and series but that place is really too gear head for my tastes so I’m no on there that much. I have different screen names for each of the forums I choose.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  5. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I just like the trophies.
    When I received a trophy for my first post, I said to myself, “self, this is going to be trophy heaven” and here I have remained for the last 8 years.

Oh, it’s nice to meet new people, get likes and form internet relationships and converse about a myriad of subjects and all that but to me, there’s nothing so compelling to stay around than getting another trophy. I even got one trophy for coming back when I didn’t even leave!

Why, I just said to myself the other day, “self (I say that a lot) I think I have gotten just about every dang trophy there is” and then WHAM, right there in my alerts, I got another one!

Ya know, I think I will have a t-shirt made with all the SoC trophies I have gotten emblazoned on it and when my time comes, I want to be buried in it.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  6. John West

John West Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

SOC is enjoyable, but not addictive. Most of my online time is spent on a world-wide, adventure motorcycle site that emphasizes photography. The site is not addictive but I have a good number of followers and am closing in on a million views, which grabs and keeps my interest and attention. Also, they don't shut off your ability to edit posts, which means I can add to and improve my posts, however old.

7. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

upload_2023-1-28_17-46-28.png

Yvonne Smith and Bobby Cole like this.
  8. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Exactly, thats why we just bought 2 more cd's to listen to in case thats all we got. I need to buy some more movies. But guess if it gets that bad it won't matter.

9. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Not for me, too much to do. I can see how those who live alone, might let SOC become additive. or other forums.

10. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Hedi we have to rest sometimes. :p

11. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

You must be looking for the "Choice of Mates" thread.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  12. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

I already had that trophy long before SoC showed up.

Beth Gallagher and John Brunner like this.
  13. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

And you don't even have to dust them or make places for them on the mantle.:rolleyes:

14. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

A trophy addiction. Hmmm! Maybe it isn't the interaction with others of age, the sharing, the compassion, the banter, the dust-ups, but rather the trophies one gets that are the driving force for postings. Maybe this accounts for the practice of spamming. I was unaware I could become a Supreme member simply by storming off enough times. How do I request the trophies (well worth 100 points each) I was shorted :mad: for the two times I stormed off? :D:D:D

Last edited: Jan 29, 2023
    Bobby Cole likes this.
  15. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

The designation of “Supreme Member” isn’t all it’s cracked up to be and a little confusing. I thought it was kinda like a Mormon promise that I’d rule over some planet but
    it just says Supreme Member……Not Supreme Being.

Alas, the trophies are where it’s at. All the rest is just window dressing but to know that I’ve accomplished so much in such a short span of my life just sends tingles up and down my spine.
    Why,,,,,I probably have more trophies that Michael Jordan or Harold Swartz!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2023
    Mary Stetler and Faye Fox like this.