Is There Anything That You Would Like To Know About Assisted Living? Just Ask Me

Discussion in 'Retirement & Leisure' started by Lon Tanner, Sep 6, 2021.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

Care givers will make beds, wash clothes, clean apartments. transport residents, deliver meals, help with dressing and undressing. accompany on resident medical appointments.The Med Techs will take resident vitals, administer prescription drugs and insulin, change dressings, adminster first aid.

2. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Are all these services included in your monthly rent or do you have to pay separately for the level of care you desire? Also, do you ever tip any of the workers?

3. Lon Tanner

Registered

My monthly rent is All Inclusive and Tipping Care givers,Med techs, drivers,dining room servers is not allowed.

Don Alaska and Faye Fox like this.
  4. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

marvelous.

Faye Fox likes this.
  5. Lon Tanner

Registered

Having lived in AL for the past four years I feel I have become an expert and can offer a better picture of what you will get than with a Google Search. It also gives me something to do.

6. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes, yes, I do.

1. Can women go braless to the dining room and social functions?
    2. Can you get seconds at mealtimes?
    3. Is there a coffee bar for lattes and such and if so do you pay extra?
    4. Is there rules against removing dentures in the dining room?
    5. Is cursing allowed?
    6. Is Tai Chi offered?
    7. Can women wear sports leggings and sports bras as daily dress?
    8. Is there any hot therapy pools?
    9. Are there lounge chairs in the courtyard for relaxing?
    10. Do you ever have live music and dancing?
    11. Are the doors open always so one could go out for a walk in the early morning?
    12. Is there a noise code for such things as drums or electric guitars?
    13. Are the apartments soundproofed?
    14. Is the air and heat central or individual units?
    15. What temperature do they keep the halls, theater, dining room, etc.?
    16. Is smoking allowed anywhere? I can't stand the smell of tobacco smoke.
    17. Do they have any apts with balconies?
    18. Is there only one way in and out of your apt?
    19. Are there any ground floor apts with a door to the courtyard or a patio?
    20. Are the apts all furnished? Can you have a worktable in your apt and your own bed?

Cody Fousnaugh and Bobby Cole like this.
  7. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Those questions are actually pretty pertinent since not all assisted living establishments are the same.
    We’ve already had a few years of an overview of where Lon lives and I guess there’s more than what he’s already advertised but whatever amenities are offered in his residence aren’t going to apply to a couple we have around here.

One establishment here offers a private screened in porch whilst another has a 9 hole golf course and a swimming pool. One is for patients who have a fairly well known date for meeting their maker and the other is more like a senior living complex with assistance offered.
    One has a buffet and another has a full blown menu.
    One concentrates on the physical and mental needs from a full team of doctors, nurses and spiritual advisers and the other has a cocktail lounge.

Google is a wonderful tool and whatever assisted living I might need in the long range future might be quite different from what Lon’s living arrangements are so the research is well worth the time.

Cody Fousnaugh and Faye Fox like this.
  8. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes, they all vary and the ones around here all offer different amenities and activities. While getting specifics from Lon will only apply to his living establishment, it may answer questions or help to know what questions to ask should the necessity for assisted living arise. Personally, I hope to avoid assisted living and apartments, but maybe find a senior independent living community with small individual houses that could be purchased like a condo. The more I know about assisted living the more I think avoiding it is a good idea. I agree that intensive research and in-person visit is necessary before committing to such a living arrangement.

Besides Lon needs something to do and the keyboard exercises answering my questions should get his fingers limbered up. :)

9. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

If I were by myself I think I would eventually find a cabin with electricity and running water next to a lake and that’s where they’ll find me when my time comes to meet the Lord. I’ll probably be on the porch with a cup of cold coffee.
    No worries, no people to contend with, no noise other than nature. Now THAT’s assisted living.

10. Lon Tanner

Registered

Yes 1 2 3 6 7 9 10 11 12 13 14 18 19 No 4 & 5 8 16 17 Temp always at 72 degrees everywhere---Doors are always open Apartments not furnished

Faye Fox likes this.
  11. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

That is my dream also and it hasn't been removed from my list yet. My only variance would be a stream instead of a lake and spring water and solar electricity. I would do it now but my doctors and friends call it unassisted suicide which is illegal in Oregon. Should I become terminal, then I could sign up for hospice, and then it would be legal under the assisted suicide law.

Seriously, I am considering a senior community and a smaller independent newly built house where a homeowners fee would cover the community center and social functions. I found a place up in Washington, but they only rent by the month and they are expensive for what they offer. Then becoming a Wa resident would be a mess with my retirement based on money earned in Oregon. I would also have sales tax so I am probably stuck as an Oregon resident until I depart this old orbiting rock. I have also thought about getting a semi RV and hiring a driver to move it a few times a year. Maybe have 3 lots in different states where I could hook it up but keep Oregon as the main place.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  12. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Are the ground floor apts that open out onto the courtyard or a patio more expensive? Are all the apts the same size? What is the penalty should one curse? Do you get evicted? Also is there no dress code at all? Could one go around in a swimsuit? Can guys go shirtless?

Also on #14 is it yes to central air or yes to individual?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
  13. Lon Tanner

Registered

Ground floor is same price. 2 bedroom apartments are larger. No Dress Code. Individual air and heat.
    Proper Dress and Behavior for occasion.

Faye Fox likes this.