Items Not As Described

Discussion in 'Shopping & Sales' started by Kate Ellery, Jan 7, 2022.

1. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

I’ve recently ordered quite a few smallish items on eBay mainly relating to using / making masks for myself / hubby / family and friends .

I’ve had reason to question some of the items one being a pack of silicon nose supports for masks ,on receipt they are nothing short of rubber bands no way would they’re any good for the advertised use they are as flimsy as a rubber band .

I’ve just received a pack of sewing aids that are mainly used for quilting projects which I find helpful when making / adjusting a couple of pleats down each side of the masks I make ..they were advertised as a pack of 50 in pastel colours …I received 46 ( just opened them to take a photo to send to seller ) as I received mostly Black ( don’t like them ) .

2 items Im yet to receive that I ordered in NOV and advertised as in Australia have been refunded
    today …. after Pay Pal told me to find a more honest seller than I’d chosen to buy from.

I like to give sellers the benefit of doubt if they only have a few red negative spots against their business
    but it seems I’ve picked the wrong sellers to do business with.

15AA170A-9B58-425C-8EDB-242D7A944C2A.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 7, 2022
    Shirley Martin and John Brunner like this.
  2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That stinks. I don't believe I've ever received anything that was a major disappointment like that.

I once ordered a pole saw like this:

[​IMG]

It was a really good deal (a discontinued model) that was supposed to have a chain drive mechanism for the lopper, but showed up with the rope drive one. It would do what I needed but was not as advertised, so I sent the seller an email and told him if he refunded $10 back to my credit card, I would keep it and he would not have to hassle with the return. So I got a GREAT deal.

I hope you got a refund. Your threshold and cost for sending stuff back to a Chinese seller (when such cases arise) are likely to be way different from those of us who are stateside. That's our main exposure here.

Don Alaska likes this.
  3. Kate Ellery

Registered

This is the clips I ordered a pack of 50 this colour NO BLACK clips were shown on the page
    C423D6C5-6CB8-4F91-A402-2D7955CB8334.jpeg

4. Kate Ellery

Registered

What I mainly use them for …partly made mask which l make with 2 layers of quilting fabric + 2 layers of non woven waterproof fabric 4D9DD15A-BE41-4906-B7EA-687BA0043764.jpeg

5. John Brunner

That's not honest to shove all those black ones in there. Have you pursued a refund yet?

6. Kate Ellery

Registered

I’ve contacted them and got a reply
    saying it was stated that random colours would be sent ..however NO black ones are shown or mentioned
    black sewing needs are to hard to see at our ages so I’d never buy anything black
    @John Brunner that is a correct statement by them …….but if they came in black ….it should have stated / shown them in black :eek:
    :confused:

Last edited: Jan 7, 2022
    John Brunner likes this.
  7. John Brunner

Tell them that--according to science--black is not a colour.

It might not make a difference, but you don't have to buy a stamp to send an email. Perhaps you could look up some data on the web and write them a mini-treatise. They gotta pay a price.

Yvonne Smith and Kate Ellery like this.
  8. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Sometimes it can be hard to trust a picture of something for sale on a website. The item received can be, and sometimes definitely is, different than what is pictured on the website.

I don't know how Amazon does it, but along with refunding a person money, the person will be told to keep the item by the seller. This started happening more when Covid 19 hit. Some companies don't want to mess with return items. That is, depending on the cost.

I bought a radio antenna for our Durango from a company online. The antenna didn't fit, so I contacted them online. They told me "with this Covid 19 going, we'd rather just refund your credit card and you keep the antenna." It was like a $12 antenna, but they did refund the card and I'm giving the antenna to a auto mechanic I know.

John Brunner likes this.
  9. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

@Kate Ellery.. i use clothes pins for chip bags and a few other things. Can you not use those instead ? Much cheaper and you can get a big pack even at the grocery here.

10. John Brunner

That's a good idea. I keep a bag of these around for my projects:

[​IMG]

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  11. Kate Ellery

Registered

These are 1 inch long. :) @Hedi Mitchell

I do use clothes pegs for open packs in the freezer and pantry I’ve got a favourite brand I use called Hegs pegs they have a wide grip area

Yes we have pegs for hanging cloths in food stores :):) but our food stores ( in Australia ) don’t have sewing needs .We normally need to go to one of the the 2 major chain store sewing shops for sewing needs, no such thing as exclusive sewing needs shop now days .

Here is a photo of a A4 size paper with my favourite pegs for using on food bags in pantry or freezer
    ( BLUE peg)and another peg that’s a good quality peg

…..The quilting clip I’m taking about (light blue) I use then quite a bit when sewing it saves pricked fingers/ blood on items from sewing pins

449E5A82-95FC-493B-8497-1D01413843E9.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 8, 2022
    John Brunner and Hedi Mitchell like this.
  12. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I use the wooden ones

John Brunner likes this.
  13. John Brunner

I bought the plastic clothespins to use on the lashed-down tarp roofs of the firewood racks I built. I knew they would be outdoors all year round, so I shunned the wooden ones.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  14. John Brunner

We, too, have lost our dedicated fabric stores. Even though I've never sewed, I've frequented them for the various projects I've done over the years. I'm sure you remember when you would have your choice of such shops within driving (or even walking) distance of each other.

There was an independent one in my small town that helped me pick out material and padding for a cornice I built:

Cornice.jpg

Sadly, when the town decided to do one of those community facelifts, they tore up the old sidewalk and replaced it with old-style brick. In the process, access was limited/blocked for quite a while to all of the small businesses this was supposed to "help," and it ended up being the death knell for several of them, to include the fabric shop.

Kate Ellery and Hedi Mitchell like this.