It's Official - Roe V Wade Is Overturned

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by Hoot Crawford, Jun 24, 2022.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Our governor assures us that abortion will remain available and safe for both men and women in Maine. I'm relieved because, at my age, I shouldn't have to be concerned with giving birth. I hear that's awfully painful and I shouldn't have to go through that. Our governor must hate all the other genders, though.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2022
  2. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't have a horse in the race. At almost 80, I'm shooting blanks. :p

Bobby Cole, Faye Fox and Al Amoling like this.
  3. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

No, they weren't forcing anyone that I know of to have abortions, but they were helping to finance it, which in my opinion, they should not be! Anytime the government gets involved in peoples lives, it isn't going to be good.

4. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

States were being forced to finance abortions when most of the population was against it. Even hospitals and health care practitioners have been forced to offer abortions when they were totally against it. I guess the doctors didn't have "the right to choose" whether they would do abortions or not.

5. James Hintze

James Hintze Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Doesn't this court decision put the government more involved in people's lives than it was before?

Nancy Hart likes this.
  6. Ken Anderson

It puts it at the state level rather than the federal.

Al Amoling and Ed Wilson like this.
  7. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

True, the state government can still have restrictions, but the federal government cannot dictated to the states on this anymore, I would hope not anyway. I'm sure every state won't have the same laws or restrictions so there will be that. I think people will have more of a voice at a local level. I don't know. Time will tell.

Bobby Cole and Hoot Crawford like this.
  8. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Don’t want the thread to go off track but unless there’s something else involved, we men can conceivably produce live sperm our entire lives which means that yup, at 80 you can still become a daddy.

Don Alaska and Ed Wilson like this.
  9. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

As of now, 13 states have banned Abortion For Convenience, keeping abortion legal in cases of medical need. Most (all?) have exemptions in rape/incest scenarios, but the article I read did not specifically state this for all of the 13 states, nor did the article link back to legislation so I could find out. None of these states places penalties on the pregnant woman.
    • Arkansas
    • Idaho
    • Kentucky
    • Louisiana
    • Mississippi
    • Missouri
    • North Dakota
    • Oklahoma
    • South Dakota
    • Tennessee
    • Texas
    • Utah
    • Wyoming

These 3 states have taken steps to legalize abortion:
    • California is putting forth a ballot measure to include the right in their constitution
    • New Jersey passed a law in January affirming the right for non-residents to have abortions in the state, and is working towards a requirement that insurance companies pay for the procedure
    • New York passed a law affirming the right in 2019

This may or may not be a comprehensive list of those that so far have taken specific action on this issue.

link

Ed Wilson and Bobby Cole like this.
  10. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

My heart feels better this morning after reading of the Arizona legislators doing their job despite an attempted insurrection. Lucky for the rioters that the police tear-gassed them and got them dispersed before they breached the building. One lady legislator says she felt safe because she was sitting by other armed Senators. Now that is what I am talking about, taking back our country. Senators we can be proud of. My interest in moving to Arizona has been renewed.

Al Amoling and Ed Wilson like this.
  11. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

So, it’s no surprise that among the fray we have Maxine Waters pretty much saying that SCOTUS needs to be overthrown.
    I mean, it’s not like her words are anything new because during the Trump administration she told Democrats nation wide to attack conservative Congresspeople wherever they go.

Just wondering: How many times can she get away with incitement to riot?
    Oh yeah. Stupid question. She’s a Democrat and can say whatever she feels like with no repercussions from the law.

12. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

To be sure, there will be some riots and I expect some of them to be violent but I wish they understood that because of the newer lack of restrictions on abortion, those who approve of it actually Caused the downfall of Roe.

They went from the basic embryonic abortions that was performed for years and then all of the sudden they went up to permitting late and full term abortions complete with organ harvesting which goes way beyond what anyone could have expected.
    Basically speaking, the initial Roe versus Wade ruling gave the proverbial inch but what was taken manifested into much further than a mile.
    The question at hand is; because of the huge downward spiral from protecting women’s rights to downright murder, how could anyone in their right mind not know that Roe was going to fall?

13. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Before it was overturned, Roe gave us the most permissive abortion laws in any Western nation.

Bobby Cole and Al Amoling like this.
  14. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

not with a vasectomy in your history

Faye Fox and Bobby Cole like this.
  15. Ken Anderson

If we were to believe the mainstream media and other Democrats, we'd believe that the Supreme Court just made abortion illegal nationwide, banned contraceptives, banned same-sex marriage, banned interracial marriage, and eliminated the entire field of women's health care.