It's Time To Start Planning The Garden

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Sheldon Scott, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

How long till they bear fruit? I have started many a pit but since I can't plant them outside...:(

Don Alaska likes this.
  2. Mary Stetler

Registered

We are setting up frames for our cabbage tents. To keep cabbage moths off the plants we have mesh fabric to put over them. I came across this lacto fermenting video that is a hoot on how not to die from fermented vegetables.

Don Alaska likes this.
  3. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Very good video @Mary Stetler. I agree with almost all of it. My major problem is with her saying "no air". That can lead to all kinds of problems. True, you don't want air bubbles in the ferment, but you don't want the jar sealed to prevent contact with air, and you have to release the CO2 produced by the fermentation to prevent possible explosions. I have seen a number of botulism cases among the Alaska Natives (not just Inuit/Inupiaq, but among the Yupik and other native groups as well), and every cases was from the non-Natives convincing the Natives that the old ways were dirty and they should be using clean plastic instead of dirty old animal hides. They are convinced to use zip-loc plastic bags and that can create an anaerobic environment in which Botulism can and does grow. Often the bag breaks, but since the stink heads and other ferments are buried to maintain a constant temperature. This is done in the traditional Korean kimchi as well. We have the fermenting kits and such, but with sauerkraut, we gave up the crock we used to use and now use jars. The lids are put on and the rings are only tight enough to keep the lids on. Tattler lids are good for that since they are plastic and don't corrode from salt exposure. The only ferment that really hasn't worked for us is large pickles. They came out so salty they were not edible, and we DID use a recipe.

I haven't heard of anyone getting sick from fermented vegetables, but I don't know anyone who ferments high-protein veggies, such as beans.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  4. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

It is a tree that will live many years so in about 5 years I should have lots

Mary Stetler and Don Alaska like this.
  5. Mary Stetler

Registered

I wonder if they would work as a bonzai tree.

Yvonne Smith likes this.