It's Veterans Day

Discussion in 'Holidays & Traditions' started by Lon Tanner, Nov 10, 2020.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

Other than putting on and wearing my Korean Veteran hat I plan nothing special. Yosemite National Park which is 60 minutes from me is giving free Lifetime Passes to the Park Service however there is a big storm coming.

Attached Files:

2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

My wife already has a Lifetime Pass to all National Parks. If we go anywhere tomorrow, I'll wear my Navy Ship baseball cap and, perhaps, my so-called Navy coat. The coat has Navy patches on it.

Will also display both our American Flag and Navy Flag. Will stop at Golden Corral and pick up my Golden Corral Veteran's Day coupon for a free dinner sometime in the next 8 months.

3. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

One thing for sure, Lon, there isn't many Veterans, that we've seen, that celebrate the Day. We've seen very few-to-none American Flags flown. Just like Memorial Day or Flag Day.
    There are those that don't celebrate either Memorial Day or Veterans Day. With some, the military reminds them of people who kill, while others don't know anyone in the military and don't care about the military. Memorial Day, to many, is just a day off from work to play at the beach, mountains or lake.

4. Lon Tanner

Registered

As they say----TO EACH HIS OWN

5. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Wife and I have never/ever accepted that quote. To us, it's simply a "cop out" to what is suppose to be right in this country. Honoring falling Veterans on Memorial Day and honoring all Veterans on Veteran's Day is just the right thing to do, even though it's not (today) the most popular thing to do.

"To each their own" goes right along with "mind your own business" which is statement for those that don't like discussing things.

6. Lon Tanner

Registered

Sorry!! I didn't know that you and your Wife were the Ultimate Authority on what is right and what is wrong.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

You must have skipped over those threads where he proclaimed it.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Lon, you didn't know that??? You should by now! But, there is "right" and "wrong" in this world. Not honoring Veterans, many would most definitely say "is wrong".

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  9. Lon Tanner

Registered

SO SAY YOU

10. Maggie Mae

Maggie Mae Veteran Member
    Registered

I want to take a moment just to thank all of you Veterans here.

Without your selfless sacrifices, and those of your families, we would not be able to enjoy the freedoms we have today.

You are very much appreciated every day of the year .. but today it's all about you.

Thank you so very much and I hope your day is nothing but honor for what you have contributed to this country.

Happy Veteran's Day :)
    veterans-day-thank-you.jpg

11. Terry Coywin

Terry Coywin Veteran Member
    Registered

In some countries this is known as Reminiscence Day. In the U.S., it was once Armistice Day, and now is called Veteran's Day. On the 11th hour of the 11th day and 11th month the signing of the end of WWI took place in a RR car in France. The Germans were roundly defeated, but not after a wicked war had ensued. My uncle Charles was one of the enlisted persons permitted to fly since he already knew how. He was shot down and is buried in France. Hitler, who was a corporal in that war never forgot that defeat and was out for revenge. After becoming the leader of Germany in 1933, he set forth on a path to destroy everyone and everything in sight. He violated every treaty and pact ever signed to prevent war or to ally with another nation. He stabbed everyone in the back. We know the rest and WWII was his undoing. We thank all who served valiently in those wars and those that followed on this day. One minute of silence at 11am is a small sacrifice to remember all those lost and those who came home.
    150532_499067450127289_608071045_n.jpg

Bobby Cole likes this.
  12. Lon Tanner

Registered

13. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

If you only knew how much your post actually means..............

Maggie Mae likes this.
  14. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Yes, it's Veteran's Day, but due to the pandemic, it definitely won't be the same kind of day as in previous years. For any older Veterans, like myself, that don't want to eat inside a restaurant, it's more of a typical week day than a "special" one. All of us Veterans do appreciate the "honoring", but..........

Actually, I think we may be the only resident that is flying the American Flag. We will find out later, when we take a drive around the complex before going to Walmart for a food pick-up in the parking lot.

15. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered