Join In - How You Doing?

Discussion in 'Family & Relationships' started by Joy Martin, Nov 13, 2022.

1. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

I've noticed that when someone asks me "How You Doing"...my usual response is OK or I'm OK. Perhaps it's always been this way, but I notice it more in retirement idle time.

When a solicitor asks me this, I usually or ignore or gently hang up.

My response has been embellished in the last couple yrs as so much change I more anger comes out but I'm watching that now.

2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Haha. I usually just say, "fine." Just conditioned to that response I suppose. Nothing's more boring than when you ask someone how they're doing and you get their entire health history for the past 8 years.

3. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Depends on who is asking and whether you think they really care about how you are doing. If we ask @Beth Gallagher how she is doing, it is because we know her history and really care about how she is doing.

4. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

One member on another group, who goes on in all directions on posts, went on to say no one really cares blah blah blah and he never even answered -- I callled him on his so called reply, which there was none. For me OK has always been my reply and some people do care and a lot don't.

5. John West

John West Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Unless I know the person asking, I don't respond to the question.

John Brunner likes this.
  6. Beth Gallagher

Registered

What a nice thing to say, Don.

I guess this is the correct thread to ask, "how's your wife?" I hope she is continuing to improve.

7. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

What ^^he^^ said. A couple of folks are aware of my life details--as I am of theirs--so for us the question has a context and is not merely a salutation substitute. Of course, the canned response to the casual inquiry is "OK" or "Fine."

Last edited: Nov 13, 2022
    John West, Bobby Cole and Don Alaska like this.
  8. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Yep, she is almost back to normal after a short course of prednisone. Thanks for asking. I think most of us care about the others here. Are you recovering or are the lymphatic issues still plaguing you?

9. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Glad to hear your wife is better. I'm doing OK, thanks for asking. I still worry about the lymphedema but so far it is mild and not bothersome. If I get some swelling in my arm/hand, it usually resolves itself overnight.

I heard that the House is voting on the Lymphedema Treatment Act this week so I will be calling my representatives again tomorrow. This important legislation adds Medicare coverage for medically necessary compression garments for people suffering with LE. I don't understand how this has not been covered before, considering the number of older Americans suffering with this affliction. (Regular insurance usually covers the compression garments but Medicare does NOT.... and they are expensive.)

If anyone here is so inclined, PLEASE contact your representatives in Congress and urge them to support this important legislation. There is information on this website that will tell you how to contact them, and even provides a template for what to say. The website is LymphedemaTreatmentAct.org.

The legislation is Lymphedema Treatment Act, bill number S.1315 in the Senate and H.R.3630 in the House.

10. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

It does definitely depend on whom is asking.
    Unless I’m feeling otherwise, my normal response is, “I’m doing well, thank you. And you”?
    Note: The almost compulsory follow up of “and you” is often omitted at the gym and at a doctor’s office depending on whom I am talking to.

Note 2: There’s a very loquacious fellow who comes in at the gym and going beyond a “howdy” will elicit an in depth response dealing with his brain surgery, his forgetfulness and the fact that his wife drops him off at 0900 and probably won’t pick him up until around 2 PM etc. The one ended conversation could go well into a 5 minute oration so I avoid anything that might give him the idea that I wish to converse.
    However, if said fellow does ask me how I am doing I respond with, I’m doing well R……….and thank you for asking.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2022
  11. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

i regard "how you doing" as just a general comment like hello...good morning...or similar

12. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Pretty much , I regard it as just a friendly greeting or salutation, and neither give or expect anything in return except a short answer. Except for my family, there is no reason that anyone else I meet is going to really want to know how I am doing anyway, and I just respond that I am fine.
    In the same way, when I am saying goodbye to someone, I will usually say something like “goodbye and God Bless”, or just “be safe”.

13. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

If they are wearing an expensive suit with a bulge outlining a gun and asked, "How u doin," with a heavy Jersey accent, I say smiling without hesitation, "I am doin great and thanks for askin kind sir." Then I move along at a hurried pace. :eek:

Al Amoling, Don Alaska and Bobby Cole like this.
  14. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Faye Fox and Bobby Cole like this.
  15. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

We just hang up,if we answer at all.

John West likes this.