Julian Assange Has Been Released With A Plea Deal

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by Yvonne Smith, Jun 25, 2024 at 9:34 AM.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Assange is leaving prison, and will be flying back into the United States shortly, due to some kind of a plea agreement that he will be appearing in court for.
    From what I am reading, he is flying first to Australia and will be there this weekend. The rumors are that Tucker Carlson is also in Australia and will be doing an interview with Assange while he is in Australia.

Tucker visited Assange in prison, but he was not allowed to interview him, or at least not to make one that he was allowed to air publicly. If he does a complete interview now, anything he has from the prison visit might be part of this new interview.

People are following this to see what happens, because what he has been promised, and what actually happens, might not turn out to be the same thing; but at lest he is out of prison and together with his family.

2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I read the deal was that he'll get off with time served (5 years.) I believe he still has concerns with setting his feet on American soil, but I don't know the details.

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I was disappointed when Trump didn't have the U.S. charges against him dropped. They never should have been brought.

4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

One of the requirements that the Biden administration gave Assange was that he had to remove all information about the DNC from Wikileaks. Most of that information has been there since before 2016, when Trump and Hillary were running for president; so many people have already read and copied this information; however, anyone who might look for it now, would no longer find that leak that Assange posted.

I also read that he is not coming back the the US proper, but instead has gone (or is going) to one of the islands that the United States controls, and will make the required court appearance from there.

Don Alaska and Jacob Petersheim like this.
  5. Jacob Petersheim

Jacob Petersheim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Wasn't a big piece of this an attempt to defuse Trump possibly promising to pardon Assange as part of his campaign?

Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.
  6. Johnny Forster

Registered

My bet is our gov't will work to break the deal with Assange, then continue to harass him and make his life miserable, if not just outright assassinate him.

John Nopales likes this.