Kefir

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Terry Page, Oct 25, 2015.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, not that I care... but the Greek Gods Greek "Style" that I like actually does have active cultures. I hadn't paid any attention to that. :D

upload_2023-1-22_0-3-43.png

Marie Mallery and Faye Fox like this.
  2. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I like the whole milk version of Greek style yogurts. I usually eat Fage, Siggi, and Stoneyfield brand of yogurts. All plain versions. There is enough sugar in the yogurt from the whole milk to add sweetness for me. I usually use one of those for my starters, when I make my own yogurt too.:)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I have made both yogurt and kefir with both goat and cow milk fresh from the teat. While kefir is easier to digest which is a plus for me, yogurt has more intestinal-friendly bacteria which is also another plus.

Since we have great top-quality locally made yogurt that comes in flavors, plain, or plain with a touch of local honey, it is easier to buy and is as good as any homemade. I always get whole milk yogurt since I think removing fat content makes milk less digestible and also adds to blandness.

For those that don't know, kefir uses yeast and bacteria, while yogurt uses just bacteria. I also love buttermilk but the only available around here is expensive and poor quality.

Beth Gallagher and Krystal Shay like this.
  4. Beth Gallagher

Registered

The kefir turned out really good! It was so easy to make and has a nice consistency; slightly thick and very creamy. I gave it a good shake and transferred it to a quart-size glass milk jug to refrigerate.

I read in the Amazon reviews that a couple of spoons of the end product can be used to start new batches, and can even be frozen to use later. I might give that a try with some of it.

5. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Taste?

6. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Tastes really good; like a quality buttermilk. (I love buttermilk.) It's creamier than the store-bought kefir that I have had, which is Lifeway brand. When I first opened the fermenting jar, it appeared to have a thick layer of yogurt on the top, so I closed the jar and shook it before refrigerating.

Yvonne Smith and John Brunner like this.
  7. John Brunner

Interesting.

I've never been tempted to try kefir because (a) I don't like milk and (b) I don't like the acrid taste of plain yogurt.

8. Beth Gallagher

Registered

It's weird that I like buttermilk, sour cream, kefir, etc. but I don't like plain yogurt. I need to go back through this thread because I believe @Kate Ellery mentioned a "second ferment" where she adds fresh fruit to the kefir.

John Brunner likes this.
  9. John Brunner

I think she mentions it here. This and yogurt making are one area of cooking I've not ventured into.

10. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes your are spot on @John Brunner and I’m still doing the same system with kefir and that post was in 2018 :):)
    If you have any questions I can answer I’m very happy to assist
    @Beth Gallagher

11. Beth Gallagher

Registered

So I drank a small glass of kefir this morning, probably about 4 oz. The kefir is very thick and creamy, almost hard to "drink" but tasty. About 10 minutes later, I had a bout of nausea, which has finally settled down. A quick google found this on WebMD...

"When taken by mouth: Kefir is POSSIBLY SAFE for most adults when taken for up to 12 weeks. Kefir can cause side effects like bloating, nausea, intestinal cramping, and constipation, especially when first started. These side effects usually stop with continued use."

OK... "when taken by mouth???" :D:D Not going to consider where else it might be "taken." :eek: I never had this nausea from store-bought kefir which is much thinner consistency than the homemade. Has anyone else experienced tummy issues from their homemade kefir?

Faye Fox and John Brunner like this.
  12. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Never! Just the opposite. I made it from goat milk. My guess is the starter you used wasn't all friendly probiotics. Kefir starter contains yeast and bacteria. If the yeast overpowered the bacteria, that might lead to digestive problems.

Maybe try adding homemade kefir grains to malted barley. Kefir beer is great for all digestive problems including ulcers. Fermenting the barley malt, with kefir grains, while having some alcohol content, really increases the probiotic's anti-inflammatory abilities.

I have no knowledge of intravenous, snorted, or rectal taken kefir. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2023
  13. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I don't believe there's anything wrong with the starter. It does not have any off-taste and my husband has had 2 glasses with no tummy problem. A google shows that many people have a reaction at first so I guess I'm one of them. :D

Marie Mallery and Faye Fox like this.
  14. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

I plan to try it soon as I feel like making it .

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  15. Beth Gallagher

Registered

It's really simple to do, Marie. Even I could do it!!

Yvonne Smith and Marie Mallery like this.