Kindle Fire

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Ken Anderson, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I first noticed it with a book that I had been reading. I was about three-fourths of the way through it when, a couple of nights ago, it wouldn't open. I tried some other books that had previously been downloaded and they wouldn't open either. Then another one did.

2. Ken Anderson

I have a couple of paperwhites from before they came out with the Kindles and, if I am going to read them like a regular book, with a light on, they are easier on the eyes than the Fire, since they are more like reading a book printed on paper.

Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.
  3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I read last night that the Prime Day sale is June 21. Usually, the Amazon devices are on sale on Prime Day. I haven't checked to see the Memorial Day sale so there may be some deals right now.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Ken Anderson

They'll probably wait until they're on sale to ship mine but charge me full price. They still haven't even shipped it. I ordered one on the morning of the 26th.

Don Alaska likes this.
  5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I ordered my new Paperwhite on Wednesday, too, got the half price off, plus payments, and it is supposed to be out for delivery today; so I am looking forward to having a brand new device to play with !
    I have not decided if I will keep the Kindle Fire, or rehome it, yet; but I am thinking about just using it for subliminal music at night, since it does Amazon Music.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  6. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Since it's a brand new release, did it show a "release date?" For a while the new 10 could be purchased but would not ship until June if I remember correctly.

7. Beth Gallagher

Registered

When I wanted to share books with my sister, I loaded all my Amazon purchases onto my old Fire 8 and gave it to her. She can read, play games, etc., so that was a good way to rehome the device and share books. (I used to take her stacks of actual books before I became an e-reader. :D) Last August when I was there, I connected it to the internet and downloaded books I had purchased since I saw her last.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  8. Ken Anderson

The description says "latest model" but it also says "2020 release" and there was no indication that it wasn't available. Amazon began giving me crappy service when Dr. Fauci came out with his virus, and they've never gotten any better. Typically, it takes them four or five days, or more (often more) to even ship the product.

9. Beth Gallagher

Registered

If you're paying for Prime, raise a stink. They will probably refund part of your subscription $$ for crummy service.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  10. Yvonne Smith

My new Paperwhite arrived yesterday, and I got it all set up and used it for reading yesterday. It is SO much lighter weight than even my Kindle Fire, and I am amazed by the difference. Compared to my iPads, even the iPad Mini, the Kindle Fire is very small and lightweight, but the Paperwhite is much lighter than that even.
    I am still getting used to using it, but I think that I am going to really enjoy it for reading books (like novels, etc). Since it is only black/white, it would not be good for a book with any kind of illustrations, but I always use my iPad for that anyway, because it IS larger and easier to see the illustrations with the iPad.
    I got the Sage Green Paperwhite, and also ordered a lightweight case for it, but the case is not arriving for a week or two, so I will just be using it without the case for now.

11. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Enjoy your new e-reader, @Yvonne Smith. My favorite reader has always been a plain ole' Kindle, bottom of the line and excellent for it's purpose... reading. I have never had a case on my Kindles, because I like to keep them as lightweight as possible, though a case that folds into a stand would be handy. I bought one of these little stands years ago and my Kindle sits on the kitchen cabinet in it... https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IJ5A2UA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For some reason I do most of my reading in the kitchen, perched on a stool. I suppose I enjoy easy access to coffee and snacks. :D

I was eyeing the Kindle lineup after you mentioned buying your new Paperwhite. I see that the regular Kindle now has a light, so that's an upgrade many people will enjoy. I have not been much on reading in bed so I haven't missed that feature. I will keep my eye on the Prime Day sale next month and might pick up a new device. My favorite thing about the Kindles is that I have the app on my phone, iPads, etc. and no matter which device I'm holding, I can take up reading my book on the exact spot I left off, and all of my devices are in sync.

Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.
  12. Yvonne Smith

I love that part, too, Beth ! If we go somewhere and I am doing something like sitting in the truck waiting while Bobby goes into the hardware store, then I can read on my iPhone. If i am just relaxing in my chair with my feet up, then I can use the little Kindle, but if it is something where I need to be able to see pictures of some kind, then I can just use one of the iPads, and have it larger.
    It is great that the Kindle app works like that with any device that we are using, and I also use it if I want to “look back” and find some little clue that was in the first part of the book, and I am just now getting wise to it.
    Rather than move the kindle and then find my way back, I grab the ipad, open the book at the beginning and hunt through until I find the part that i am looking for, just like I do with a regular book.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  13. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Ken Anderson and Yvonne Smith like this.
  14. Beth Gallagher

Registered

My new Fire 10 HD and accessories are out for delivery today.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  15. Marci Miller

Marci Miller Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I had a Kindle Fire. Hated it. It's in a drawer somewhere. LOL

Beth Gallagher and Yvonne Smith like this.