Kindle Paperwhite

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Ken Anderson, Jul 23, 2022.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Although I haven't noted any particular problem reading books on my Kindle Fires, a couple of them are no longer holding a charge very long. Although I use a Kindle for only an hour or two each night, they have been requiring charging every couple of days and that's annoying. So, rather than ordering another Kindle Fire, I thought I'd try a Kindle Paperwhite. I don't know if that will prove to be easier on the eyes, since I don't find the Fire to be hard on the eyes, but I'm often open to something different. I ordered it with the bundle that included a leather case and charging dock because, what the heck, if I'm spending money, I may as well spend money. I also opted for the 32 GB edition, although I've never come close to filling the 8 GB in the regular ones.

paperwhite.jpg

2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I haven't yet had the urge to spend the money. I still have my original kindle reader that I use occasionally when the Fire is charging or not available.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  3. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I had an older version Kindle Paperwhite, and I had it several years and I really liked it! I use to be able to get a lot of digital books from my local library system to read on my Kindle. All of a sudden they stop supporting the Kindle Paperwhite and I wasn't able to get library books any longer. I had to have a Kindle Fire or and iPad to get library books. I could still buy digital books from Amazon to read on my Kindle. It just didn't work with the library system. Now, I use an iPad if I want books from the library.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I use the regular old original Kindle, though I have the same complaint that it won't hold a charge more than a couple of days. I should have replaced it during Prime Day when they were half price. Guess I'll keep an eye out for a deal, though.

I have a Fire 8 and a Fire 10 tablets, but I find them heavy for reading.

Don Alaska and Ken Anderson like this.
  5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I have a Fire 7” that i use for reading, and then they had the Paperwhite on a special sale and I bought one a year or so ago. I like that it is so much lighter weight than the Fire, and since it is just the e-reader; it is a lot less distracting, and the battery lasts for weeks, even with regular use.
    However, it operates different than the Fire does, and I still need to read the manual and figure out how to close the book and get a different one; so I just stopped using it instead of taking the time to learn how the pesky thing actually works.
    I don’t know why they didn’t make both Kindles work the same way.

I actually do more reading now with my iPad Mini, which weighs more than the little Kindles; but if I get an iMessage or an email, I can check it and respond from the iPad.
    Overall, I think that you will like the Paperwhite , @Ken Anderson as long as you are reading books with no illustrations, since there is no color and any pictures will be black and white. Mine does not have the wireless charging, but I did also get a case for it to protect the screen.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  6. Ken Anderson

My Kindle 10 will hold a charge for a long time. I don't know how long because it's never died on me. Unlike the other Kindles I have, the 10 doesn't seem to lose power while it's turned off. Since I don't use it as often as the others, I've charged it up and let it sit for weeks, and it will still have 100% charge when I turn it on. My Kindle Paperwhite won't arrive until August 3, so I won't know anything about it until then.

7. Ken Anderson

When I ordered my Kindle Paperwhite on July 22, I was a bit taken aback to find that it wouldn't be delivered until August 5, but that was the delivery date that I was given from the start. Amazon has been much better with my deliveries lately, and it seemed odd that something made by or for Amazon would take so long to be shipped.

However, it is still scheduled to arrive on August 5, but I have received a full refund.

screen-paperwhite.png screen-refund.png

Don Alaska likes this.
  8. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I recall when Paperwhite monitors came out in the early 90s or thereabouts. I tried one for a while but did not like it. Now that you raise the issue, I have some polarized clip-on sunglasses I should try using when I'm on the computer. I wonder if they would make a difference. I've tried different colored backgrounds off & on, but could never find a Background/Font color combo I liked.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  9. Ken Anderson

Now that I've had it more than a month, I suppose I should report. It took me a couple of weeks to figure out how to close the first book I had completed so that I could open another one, and I'm still not sure how it's done. If I move my fingers around enough near the bottom of the screen, eventually a box will open up that allows me to do that, but I would much prefer a button. I still haven't figured out how to shut the Paperwhite off. The best I can do is to shut off the screen. Still, it holds a charge for quite a while, and nothing about the screen would make it difficult to read. It's very lightweight, and maybe I'll read the instructions one day.

10. Beth Gallagher

Registered

If it's like a regular Kindle, it doesn't shut down fully but "goes to sleep." It's like any other tablet for the most part in that it stays on in low power mode unless you use the power button to turn it off or restart.

I should have bought a new Kindle during Prime Day; my old one is getting weird. It reboots itself randomly and I have done all the troubleshooting I care to. Hopefully it will hang on until Black Friday sales.

11. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

So how do you like the screen contrast?

12. Ken Anderson

I don't really notice a difference.

13. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I found a good Paperwhite tutorial on youtube and it explained how everything works on the e-reader; so now I am using that to read novels instead of the heavier Kindle Fire. I think that, overall, I still prefer reading with the iPad Mini; so I am going to be saving up for a new one of those eventually, or a newer one, not brand new.
    New iPads should come out in October, along with the iPadOS 16, so some of the older models should get cheaper, and I would like to get one of the Mini 6th generation ones.

I was just reading that Amazon is having a second Prime Day in October, @Beth Gallagher . It is October 11/12th; so you have time to shop around and watch for a good deal on a new Kindle.
    It looks like what Amazon is doing, is actually getting a jump on the upcoming Black Friday deals, which will usually start in October/November.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbes-personal-shopper/2022/09/26/amazon-prime-day-2022/

Ken Anderson and Beth Gallagher like this.
  14. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Thanks, Yvonne. I actually just saw this on the news; apparently several stores are getting the jump on black Friday. Target was mentioned but I don't remember the others besides Amazon.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  15. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

It might also be to get a jump on possible sanctions by China over Taiwan. Electronics will be hard to come by if China stops selling them to us.

Yvonne Smith likes this.