Knob Creek: Owning Things Frightening To Some

Discussion in 'Guns & Weapons' started by Frank Sanoica, Jun 19, 2016.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

The "shootings" thread is rather "shot", and anyway, I think my topic will be worthy of both "pro" and "anti" comment. Often, it's asked, what if........what if ordinary folks were allowed to own cannons, mortars, bombs, even tanks and such.......what if they were?

Some may not know, some may be shocked, some may try to deny the possibility.........fact is, they do! By the thousands, actually. For example, no one really knows how many NFA (National Firearms Act) machineguns and other similar weapons, are legally owned and records kept by the Treasury Department. Likely tens of thousands, IMO.

Cannon? Lots of folks own cannon, believe it or not. Legally. In America. Tanks? Yes, some, but those are particularly difficult to transport to shooting "meets". Small anti-aircraft guns are especially liked. As well as the dynamite used to signal "hits". Ya don't want to be downrange of these gun fanatics!

One of the favorite such events is held here: (Impetuous impatience: even their "STOP" sign has bullet holes)
    [​IMG]

"Knob Creek Gun Range (also referred to as Knob Creek Range or simply Knob Creek) is an outdoor shooting range located in Bullitt County, Kentucky, United States, near the community of West Point, Kentucky.[1] The range is a former military-munitions test range. As well as being open all year around, the gun range also hosts a biannual gun show in April and October, which is billed as the "World's Largest Machine Gun Shoot and Military Gun Show".[2] The range also hosts a number of shotgun, handgun, rifle and machine gun competitions in April.[3] The range is a family-owned business, with three generations of the founding Sumner family working there as of April 2013.[4] Both the range and the Sumner family are featured on Guntucky, a reality TV series that debuted on the CMT cable channel on April 21, 2013."
    More: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knob_Creek_Gun_Range

[​IMG]
    A machine gun being fired at night during the Machine Gun Shoot event.

[​IMG]
    Cannons and various non-firearm weapons are featured during the Gun Show

I have never attended, but have read extensive articles about Knob Creek. For those not still in shock, who might read more of the link, it explains if a "lane" is desired to be rented to shoot one's whatever, the waiting list is several YEARS long. Frank

Ike Willis likes this.
  2. Gary Ridenour

Gary Ridenour Veteran Member
    Registered

[​IMG]

don't know anything about tanks but give me a crew for this and ill blow the the livin' hell out of whatever you want

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
  3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

You left out a third option, Frank. The "don't care" option and that's where I stand and it's working well for me. This is a serious reply and I'm not being flippant. After all my adult years of caring about things, I see no point in it. It just causes stress.

Nobody has the right answers and nobody knows the right answers, everybody pushes their own agenda. Chances of anything that's happening affecting my life are slim. I really am isolated, I doubt I'll ever be where there is a terrorist attack unless it's on my flight on 9-11. Chances of my getting shot are also slim. My death will be by Illness or a car accident

I didn't read your link but what I saw in the pics didn't shock me at all.

Maybe I've just gotten to a position in my life where none of this matters to me anymore. I have no cause to fight for because either way things turn out, it won't affect me. Maybe I'm selfish but I've been unselfish my whole life and this is where I am now and it's less stressful. I haven't let go of everything but I'm working on it.

This is the new me, the old one got me nowhere.

4. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

It isn't frightening to me either. I don't own a gun.

These shootings are going to continue. I doubt most gun enthusiasts are going to shoot up the grocery store. It's the nuts too easily flying under the radar we need to worry about.

5. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Gary Ridenour

Would love to see your offering, Gary. My computer shows only "IMG". Resend? Frank

6. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't lose any sleep about the shootings, because even though they are terrible and I feel bad for the victims and their friends. I am not going to worry about it. If something happens to me it happens....as long as I am here in no man's land,,,I don't think any bad guy is gonna show up here...They'd have to find it first..:p Besides, other than run, duck and cover...little I could do. My son, working in DC, I am a bit more concerned about..but he isn't even in a conventional government agency...so no real worries there, although if he moves he will have to catch a metro train at the Pentagon station.

7. Frank Sanoica

Registered

But, but......my OP was only about guys who have fun shooting in competition and the like. Nothing inferred about criminal shootings.

Frank

8. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Well you know posts about guns always go off track.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  9. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

There was probably a thousand gun there and no one was shot. I guess that puts to rest the idea that guns kill

Yvonne Smith and Frank Sanoica like this.
  10. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Since last month, the daily news reports would not be complete without a report of an arrest or raid connected to illegal drugs.They say that those daily arrests is in preparation of the incoming president's term on July 1. Rody Duterte, the new president, abhors illegal drugs and he won on the platform of finishing all the drug lords and putting a halt to the drug trade.

Those raids recently always yielded a cache of firearms. One drug den was found to have a pile of high powered guns that can be used in war. Now the public believes the great power of drug lords because they are prepared to fight it out with the cops. Unfortunately, no big fish is caught, only minnows and probably worms. The so called drug lords remain safe wherever they are. But back to the guns, it's surprising to know that those pile of guns are licensed, huh. So many hIgh powered guns licensed to one person is out of logic. And they are thinking of imposing a gun ban? Come on, quit pulling our legs.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  11. Chrissy Cross

Registered

image.jpg

If I bought a gun, this would be it. :)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  12. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

I always wanted to go to one of those shoots. Too late now though. When I was still in high school, I went with my dad to look at a motorcycle one of his friends had. Talk got around to guns and the guy drug a PPSH out of a 'hidey hole'. It wasn't deactivated either. Ever since I saw that one, I've longed to own one. Always wondered what happened to it.

th (3).jpeg

Frank Sanoica and Martin Alonzo like this.
  13. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

When I was younger you could buy war surplus Sten guns but they came with the barrels plugged. You could also buy parts for all the weapons even an unplugged barrel for a Sten gun. I did not have the money at that time and settled for a 303 that we used for deer hunting

Ike Willis likes this.
  14. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Corie Henson "Come on, quit pulling our legs."

And they are pulling both at once!

Corie Henson likes this.
  15. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Ike Willis Well, Ike, ya got me this time. PPSH does not ring a bell. Wooden stock? Must have been pretty old. Military? Another real rare one was the Colt Monitor. Fired from an open bolt. So did the Thompson, but it had a movable firing pin which was activated by a little lever which drove it forward when the bolt bottomed "home". MAC 10 used a fixed pin, actually just a little bump, sticking out of the bolt face. That made it prone to firing before the round chambered, as in the case of the previous round stuck in the chamber. Big surprise when the loose round burst out through the "window"!
    Frank

Ike Willis likes this.