La Palma Blew This Morning

Discussion in 'Science & Nature' started by Don Alaska, Sep 19, 2021.

1. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

For those of you near the East Coast, the La Palma Island volcano blew this morning. It a worst case scenario, it could generate a mega tsunami that would obliterate all the seaports on the North Atlantic. That won't happen, though, unless the is a dike intrusion that blows the side of the mountain off--an unlikely event.

Bobby Cole, Faye Fox and Yvonne Smith like this.
  2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I was seeing pictures of that on my Facebook page this morning. Not much other information except for a video of the eruption, so it does not look like any damage is expected except nearby, where they had to evacuate people.

3. Bibbi Wright

Bibbi Wright Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

So far some 5000 people living in the vicinty have been evacuated and about 100 homes have been affected. Spanish authorities have said that there is no need for further evacuations at the moment. The Spanish Air Authority have recommended that no flights land on La Palma but the airport is still open and it is up to the airlines to decide whether or not they want to land.

The Canary Islands of which La Palma is one is a popular vacation destination for Europeans and the eruption could have serious effects if the airport closed leaving thousands of tourists stranded. In such a situation the only way to reach or leave the island would be by ferry to one of the neighboring islands Teneriffe or La Gomera.

Don Alaska and Frank Sanoica like this.
  4. Yvonne Smith

I remember reading about this volcano , and how much disaster it would do to our East Coast if the volcano wall came off and went into the ocean, and that it would wipe out everything from Canada to Florida with tsunami waves over 100 feet high, totally obliterating all of Florida. Something similar to what was in that old Art Bell movie, The Day After Tomorrow.
    This time it has had over 4300 earthquakes in the last few days, but at the moment , it is seeming to settle down again, although that does not mean that there might not be more severe earthquakes still to happen.

This guy is kind of chatty, so you might want to zip through some of what he says, but he does have maps, charts, and information that is important to know; so it is worth a quick listen.

Don Alaska and Frank Sanoica like this.
  5. Yvonne Smith

It appears that we may possibly be getting closer to that unlikely event. The volcano is still erupting, burning up homes and even towns as it goes and is now sending the lava and ash down into the ocean at tremendously high temperature.
    Once it gets into the ocean, it cools and is now forming new ridges, which could weight down the side of the mountain and make it more apt to break off into the ocean.

At this point, it is very hard to say what will happen, but the volcano still continues to erupt and make everything on the island worse. We have another thread about an economy crash around the middle of October, and I am thinking that if the tsunami did happen, the destruction on our eastern coastline and on Florida especially, could drastically affect our economy.

Don Alaska likes this.
  6. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

I read there were cracks forming on the mountainside as well, @Yvonne Smith. I hope this doesn't bode ill for the East Coast of North America. and the West Coast of Europe. It would certainly affect the economy. I can't imagine the cities on the coasts could be evacuated in the few hours it would take for the tsunami to cross the Atlantic.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

I read there were cracks forming on the mountainside as well, @Yvonne Smith. I hope this doesn't bode ill for the East Coast of North America. and the West Coast of Europe. It would certainly affect the economy. I can't imagine the cities on the coasts could be evacuated in the few hours it would take for the tsunami to cross the Atlantic.

8. Yvonne Smith

That is what I am thinking , too, @Don Alaska . So far, the msm is denying that this could happen from the current eruptions (although they do say that a tsunami is possible under the right circumstances); so if it does happen, people will not be prepared at all.

Out on the West Coast, there is the possibility of Mt. Rainier erupting, or a bad earthquake, but they have regular drills in the towns that are in the areas where they would expect damage if the volcano did erupt.
    It might not happen for a hundred years (or more); but at least they are trying to prepare people for the possibility, so as many as possible could escape.
    My son in Idaho, who is a reserve for the SO there and also SAR, said that they were training for it, too; because all of the main roads in western Washington would be closed, and help would have to come from eastern Washington and Idaho.

Don Alaska likes this.
  9. Yvonne Smith

Teri Wade (I follow her on Facebook) just reported that the magma peninsula has already doubled in size, and it doesn’t look that that volcano is going to stop anytime soon.
    Here is what she said on Facebook today:
    "La Palma Disaster of Cosmic Proportions: Lava flows into Sea DOUBLING Magma Peninsula

Russian cosmonauts aboard the ISS took a nighttime photo of the lava spewing from the Cumbre Vieja volcano on Spain’s La Palma island, revealing the sheer scale of the event.

The lava began flowing into the ocean two days ago and has already expanded the island’s territory 20 hectares [50 acres].

Since the eruption began on September 19, thousands have been forced from to evacuate, while lava destroyed hundreds of houses, businesses and agricultural plantations."

1CA376AC-C735-4BAC-A264-E2B88FA26F97.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
    Don Alaska likes this.
  10. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

One of the big dangers from Rainier and Baker is mudslides from the snow caps and frozen soil along the volcano's flanks. Just the mud would bury many homes. It wouldn't even need an eruption, just an episode of heating similar to what Yellowstone is exhibiting. The governments are trying to calm fears, but that leads to lack of preparedness.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  11. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

John Nopales and Yvonne Smith like this.
  12. Bibbi Wright

Bibbi Wright Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

@Martin Alonzo Well it sounds as if you’re saying that some volcanic eruptions and earthquakes might be manmade. Anything to back that up?

13. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

14. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

This needs to be in the Conspiracies and Paranormal section.

15. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

Who discredit it I check earthquakes all the time because we have them all around us . Puerto Rico have clusters of earth quakes for years now and none when you zoom in are spaced out like these. Easy to say in is not true but show some fact.

John Nopales likes this.