Ladies, As a Teenager, When You Went Out on a Date, Was Your Date's Car an Important Factor?

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Susan Long, Apr 18, 2015.

1. Susan Long

Susan Long Veteran Member
    Registered

Were you impressed if he drove a Mustang or a Camaro?

2. Allie Seay

Allie Seay Veteran Member
    Registered

Mostly the guys I knew who drove a Mustang or a Camaro were too impressed with themselves to impress me. Not always, though. Really I didn't think much about cars one way or the other except as ways of getting from one place to another. And if a guy showed up in a junker of any kind but he was happy to have it then the junker in no way diminished the fun that we had going out.

Fixed up VW Beetles were popular. What was it they called them? Baja buggies?

Susan Long likes this.
  3. Mal Campbell

Mal Campbell Supreme Member
    Registered

Not really. I loved fast cars, and drove a Firebird myself. But the guy's car didn't impress me. It was the guy himself I was interested in. In my experience, the one's with the hot cars where the most obnoxious.

With one exception. When I started dating my husband, he drove a kind of crappy car the first couple of dates. Things went really well, and we hit if off. Then he picked me up in 1965 Corvette! This was in 1984. Boy, was it really cool. Beautiful, fast, sleek and sexy. He even let me drive it. Come to find out, he had dealt with quite a few girls that wanted to date him because he owned a Corvette, so he was "testing" me to see if I would go out with him if he had a crappy car. I guess I passed the test, because we got married a couple years later.

And have been together for 28 years - three more Corvettes, a Jaguar XJS, a TR-6, Maserati, 1970 'Cuda 440 6-pack, Lotus Esprit (Investor's Edition), Triumph Spitfire, several drag cars and others I can't think of right now.

Susan Long likes this.
  4. Susan Long

Registered

What a story Mal! You guys have really had some great cars! I have always thought a Jaguar would be fun to drive. I will live that dream through you! ;)

5. Susan Long

Registered

During my dating days, I knew a guy was really interested in me if his car was ultra clean when he picked me up. It was common to see not one speck of dirt on the floor mats. So, it fun to think about these days how they worked so hard to make it nice for me! I really was more interested in the restaurant and the food we would enjoy, which was always priority number one on all of my dates!

Daniel B Cooper likes this.
  6. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Most of my dates as a teenager were with guys who drove rattletraps or borrowed the family truckster to take a girl out. :D I remember my first love drove an old 2-door Ford that used the push-it-and-pop-the-clutch method of starting. I spent many dates pushing that car. Fun times.

7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

When I was a teenager, most of my cars were rattletraps. In fact, I paid $30 each for my first three cars. I thought that was the going rate for a car.

8. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes, I preferred pickups, and most of my dates were in pickups. The make wasn't important. I loved the older ones and a hot rod was a bonus if the guy had built it himself. They were great because if we went to the teen burger hangout, kids in cars always wanted to come over and sit on the open tailgate. I preferred pickups as cars seemed confined. Pickups were great at the drive-in theater when backed in. Great for star gazing. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2022
  9. Daniel B Cooper

Daniel B Cooper Well-Known Member
    Registered

I was a senior in HS when I drove my '79 jeep CJ5 renegade with the Levi package off the show room floor.

I don't have a pic of the jeep, but here's the gurl I caught. 1C79B56A-DB66-498A-BAA9-21ACBE3AAF69.jpeg

10. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I was just glad if they had a car! :D