Ladies, When Did You Last Have Your Hair And Nails Done In A Salon?

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Lon Tanner, Feb 25, 2021.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

When I was a horney Teen Age Boy I always went to a female barber to get my Flat Top haircut. She would stand behind the chair and rest her rather large breasts on my shoulder and neck. I still prefer a female barber but have never had another one like good ole Kathy.

2. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Well, she was double-dipping taking the cost of a haircut from you as well as using your shoulders for support to save on purchasing a bra. Not only do you remember this traumatic event but you also remember her name. Perhaps this thread should be moved to the memory and dementia thread. One gold star for Lon's memory, hahaha!

John Brunner likes this.
  3. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I remember her name because I went to her all through high school.

4. Trevalius Guyus

Trevalius Guyus Veteran Member
    Registered

You could have gone back into her shop, some years later, and sang that old Bob Hope theme song, for her: "Thanks, For The Mammeries!"

5. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

For the longest time (as an adult) I went to a barber shop with female Vietnamese barbers. Mister Ho was the owner. I got hot towels and a neck/temple massage with every haircut...and this was your basic guy's barber shop with basic haircut prices that had been there for decades, not some fancy mall place. I followed my barber there (Frank, an Italian guy) from another shop across town when he bought the business in the 1970s, then he sold it to Tam (who also owned a chicken ranch), who later sold it to Mr. Ho and his 3 women. Only Mr. Ho's shop had towels and massages...and they used straight razors to get a real clean cut.

After I moved here, my job would drag me back to the area for meetings. I'd try to carve out time to get my haircut there when I was in town. Haven't been there since 2014. I have a female barber here who does a good job.

6. Boris Boddenov

Boris Boddenov Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Female barbers in the 1940s-50s??????

John Brunner likes this.
  7. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

They've come a long long long way since 3095 years ago. The 1940s was only what, 80 years now ?

(Delilah 1075B.C . https://biblehub.com/timeline/ )

They may still be .. um.. taking away men's strength (vs the warning: Kings, do not give(lose) your strength to a woman)

8. Boris Boddenov

Boris Boddenov Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Well, my teen years were 1957-63, and in my city the "barber shop" was the province of the male, rife with cigar smoke, farts, and locker room talk.

Jeff Elohim likes this.
  9. John Brunner

Funny, I almost asked the same question.

I was born in 1954 and I never recall seeing a female barber until Mr. Ho came to town, excepting maybe some of the Unisex places that came in to being in the 80s.

But I cannot imagine a woman working in a barber shop before then. I think "Kathy" was an "Identifies as..."

La la la la Lola♫​

10. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

It seems to me, the shop that Lon frequented was a real province of the male shop offering real boobs instead of ogling the fake boobs in Playboy magazine that the smoke-filled laced with horrid men's cologne, shops offered. When the neighbor boys became teens and refused to let their mama cut their hair and came out of these "manly" shops smelling worse than billy goat urine and bragging about it, I decided guys like Lon that went to women barbers, were more manly. Now that Lon has revealed his reasons, I am beginning to question the reputation of Lon's chosen establishment.

I was lucky one of my mothers' cousins and his wife ran a Christian barbershop and Bible store in Texas while I was going to broadcast engineering school. This was 1969. My hair was naturally curly and the humidity turned it into a real bushy mop. His wife kept it trimmed for me making it look like I had a perm. All I had to do was play some gospel music for their youth summer gathering. Being a blues player at that time, I learned the tunes of Sister Rosetta. While a bit too rocking for their taste, the teens loved it.

small.jpg

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
    Beth Gallagher likes this.
  11. John Brunner

Freudian slip? ;)

12. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

As a cancer patient, the title to this thread took me in a totally different direction. :D

Carry on.

Faye Fox and John Brunner like this.
  13. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Not sure how that statement is a Freudian slip. Can you elaborate? Sister Rosetta was a blues gossip singer.

14. John Brunner

Gospel?

15. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered