Learning To Navigate Some Websites Can Be Frustrating. Do You Agree?

Discussion in 'Education & Learning' started by Lon Tanner, May 20, 2021.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

The VA website can give you a real mental work out as can some health portals. I have spent several hours just trying to register with a couple new sites.

2. D'Ellyn Dottir

D'Ellyn Dottir Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Completely agree @Lon Tanner. Too many websites were designed 10 years ago or more and are badly designed, and are terrible or impossible to navigate or read on a phone. Some were designed last week especially for viewing by phone, forgetting that many people still browse by desktop or laptop, and by someone who didn't have a firm grasp on who the user would be, and neither did the site owner. Many still aren't full accessible. Too many designers have no esthetic sense and only care about search engine optimization, and don't argue their clients out of bad ideas.

I spent some time designing sites mostly for psychotherapists and knew when to refuse a client because I knew nothing about their business. :rolleyes:

Bobby Cole likes this.
  3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

User Interface is the bane of most programmers.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  4. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I haven’t been on the VA site in maybe 2 or 3 years.
    The problem I faced is that there are / were 3 sites which were connected but not. If I wanted to go to the prescription page I could go to that page / site from the health page but I still needed a different password to seal the deal.
    When I gave permission for my civilian doctor to view my VA records I then had to go down to the clinic and sign off on it but even then, I’ve had 3 civilian doctors tell me that they can’t access my records. I dotted every i and crossed every t the VA site told me to do but alas, no amount of crossing nor dotting will make things happen the way they are supposed to.

Then, every few months I couldn’t go to the main site because they wanted me to change my password then of course the other 2 sites connected with the main site needed new and different passwords to get access and the wheels of the bus go round and round.

When folks told me all the troubles they were having accessing the Obama Care site and how much money the government paid for said site, I just knew that whomever built the VA site did so with the intention of making billions of dollars whilst at the same time making those with a high degree of PTSD shoot themselves out of frustration.

John Brunner likes this.
  5. John Brunner

Needs more gummint.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  6. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I have no problem with the VA My HealtheVet site. Been using it for years. Trying to navigate a website on an iPhone is very, very hard, that's why I only do it on our desktop. Just too hard to see the website on a iPhone.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  7. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

In my experience the govt websites whether local, state or federal are the worst websites. Since I used to do IT for real I'd say they're designed by idiots.

John Brunner and Bobby Cole like this.
  8. John Brunner

Idiots who are well-connected to politicians.
    Half the quality/twice the price.