Lemon Curd Bars

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by John Brunner, Jan 9, 2021.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I got my regular email from AllRecipes on Thursday with links to a bunch of recipes, one of which was these Lemon Curd Bars. By Friday they were out of the oven and on the table. I decided to make homemade Lemon Curd, since I've never done it before and I don't really do custards.

Lemon Curd Bars With Coconut

1 cup unsalted butter
    (variations from comments include browning the butter or using 50% butter/50% coconut oil)
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    1/2 cup white sugar
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1 (10 ounce) jar lemon curd (≃ 15 TB ≃ 1 cup) or one recipe homemade (see below)
    2/3 cup flaked unsweetened coconut
    1/2 cup toasted and chopped almonds

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).

In a large mixing bowl cream the butter. Add the flour, sugar and baking powder. Mix until the mixture forms coarse crumbs.

Pat 2/3 of the mixture into the bottom of one 9x13 inch generously greased baking pan. Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 10 minutes until set. Remove and let cool slightly.

Spread the lemon curd over the baked layer. To the remaining 1/3 of crumb mixture add the coconut and the almonds. Sprinkle over the top of the lemon curd, press lightly into the curd.

Lower oven temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

Bake bars for 25 minutes or until lightly browned.

Lemon Curd

3/4 cup fresh lemon juice
    1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
    3/4 cup sugar
    3 eggs
    1/2 cup unsalted butter, cubed (some recipes only used 1/4 cup)

In a 2 quart saucepan, combine all ingredients.

Cook over low heat until thick enough to hold marks from whisk, and first bubble appears on surface, about 6 minutes. Make sure to temper the eggs to prevent them curdling.

These are very good. They freeze well.

You can vary the size of the baking dish (9x13 down to 8x8) so that a recipe of Lemon Curd is spread thinner/thicker. You can also layer less of the shortbread recipe on the bottom if you want a thinner bottom bar (the same goes for the amount of topping.) Just adjust the initial baking time. I used an 11 x 7 pan, and--using the "2/3 volume"--the bottom layer of shortbread was just a little thick for my tastes...but the amount of the curd was just right.

Nancy Hart and Susan Paynter like this.
  2. Susan Paynter

Susan Paynter Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

......Copied.....

3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I love lemon bars; my ex MIL used to make them. Just email me a couple, will ya??

John Brunner likes this.
  4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I wish I could. I live alone. I don't need all these being here. I cut them up and froze them yesterday, and defrosted one for after breakfast this morning...then I pulled another one out of the freezer and ate it cold. At least they don't freeze hard, so there was no waiting for that second helping.

I thought of you as I was searching on all the ways people use Lemon Curd...I came across a recipe for Cranberry Curd. I might try making it. I believe fruit curds freeze well, so I could portion it out in an ice cube tray. Looks like it would make a pretty good ice cream topping...

Jenna Parnellson likes this.
  5. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Let me know if you try the cranberry. My husband doesn't care for lemon so I don't make a lot of lemon stuff or I'd have to eat it all myself (and I would. :D) I have a couple of bags of cranberries in the freezer.

Jenna Parnellson likes this.