Life After Death

Discussion in 'Faith & Religion' started by Richard Whiting, Jun 9, 2023.

1. Richard Whiting

Richard Whiting Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

This post is more a matter of curiosity than of anything else.

As I read books and watch films, I'm struck with the fact that so many of the characters fear death. We see characters who plead for their lives when they are about to be killed. True, some "heroes" laugh in the face of death, but quite often we see , for example, soldiers on the battle field cry out for their mothers when they are dying.

The majority of the worlds great religions have a belief in an "after life". Both the Christian Bible and the Koran write rather extensively about an "after life". Even long before Christianity, most cultures believed in an after life. The Romans, and ancient Greeks for example, believed in what they called elysium. There is no way to know for certain what the authors of these books were thinking , but I have often wondered if it was because of the universal, human fear of death. Surely it it must be true that believing in an "after life" is comforting as people approach death.

So, what do you believe ? An "after life" or just merely the end of life ?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2023
    John Houlihan likes this.
  2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Personally I don't believe in life after death. For one thing, I can't fathom living forever or why anyone would want to. So in my mind, it will be as it was before I existed.

As for fear of death, that's just another fear of the unknown. With few exceptions, no one really wants to die.

3. Richard Whiting

Registered

I wouldn't be so sure that NO ONE really wants to die. I for one, because of poor health reasons, am quite ready to die. The only fear I have is a lingering painful death. I just hope that it is quick.

Thomas Windom likes this.
  4. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I have to admit that I have had about enough life. I do not want to abandon my wife or our kitties but other than that, I’ve seen about enough.

I also believe when I die, that’s it, the tape is erased, the flame is extinguished, the spark has had its moment. Time to return to the elements.

5. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

That's why I said, "WITH FEW EXCEPTIONS." Also, there is a distinction between wanting to die and being ready to die.

6. Richard Whiting

Registered

Oops. sorry I missed that part.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Whatever your beliefs in an afterlife, it's instinctual for people to fear death. While I won't argue that this can be overcome, or that some people have managed to do so, it's pretty normal to fear death. Even consciously, while we may believe in an after-life, we probably don't know just what that is going to be like, and it's also natural to fear the unknown.

8. Tony Nathanson

Tony Nathanson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I don't really believe in life after death, but I was reminded of two funny signs I've seen:

"Is there life after death? Trespass here & find out."

(At a workplace:) "Those who don't believe in life after death should come here at quitting time."

9. Richard Whiting

Registered

Love it.

10. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

No need to fear something that is inevitable. Dying is the second part of living. Now if you want to die a painless death it's Wild Turkey with Fast Women, absolutely painless. :D On a good note someone said "until your name is no longer spoken you aren't dead".

11. Thomas Windom

Registered

LOL, I saw one the other day that made me laugh. “You are no longer a trespasser, you are now a target.”

12. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Do not give Life afterward much thought. When you dead you be dead. Life after death in the Biblical sense, is not like life here on earth is my thought. I have asked this question before- why do we struggle so hard to stay alive when all with the world has gone so bad?
    Yet look at us all, still kicking and moving on like tomorrow will never end :)

13. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

The first and most primary instinct is personal survival and the second is the survival of the species.
    Even Jesus didn’t Want to die and most certainly not if He had any inkling of the Way He was going to die.

The thing about the afterlife is a simple thing: If one believes in God and an afterlife then one should leave behind the evidence of one’s beliefs.
    Personnaly, even if my beliefs are incorrect, I still wish to leave behind a legacy that speaks of good character and good moral standards.

Richard Whiting likes this.
  14. Thomas Windom

Registered

It’s an odd thing. I used to be very concerned about “leaving my mark”, somehow. Now, for some reason, I just want to completely disappear. I don’t need a funeral, I don’t need a marker, in a few generations, my existence won’t matter one whit and I am completely fine with that. In fact, I would be fine with a complete “poof” when I die.

15. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Not to be too cliche’ but our existence is all about making choices including in some ways, how we are going to die but in all ways, how we will be remembered.

If you don’t care either way, that’s a choice.
    Personally, I care and that’s my choice.