Life After Death

Discussion in 'Faith & Religion' started by Richard Whiting, Jun 9, 2023.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Those Mormons don't want you reading their stuff. :p

John Brunner likes this.
  2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I'm not sure I want to know the support for Jesus having set foot in North America, or that being dark-skinned was a curse from God (a position the church disavowed 10 years ago.)

Marie Mallery likes this.
  3. Beth Gallagher

Registered

My mother and half my family are Mormons. I am not because my father wouldn't allow it. :D My niece and her husband who bought our RV are Mormon; we removed the Keurig out of there because they don't drink coffee. :gasp: I don't want to think about life without coffee.

4. John Brunner

Interesting. I imagine they are just regular people. I wonder if the farther from Salt Lake City you are, the looser the grip from the mother ship.

Krystal Shay likes this.
  5. Celia Jenkins

Celia Jenkins Well-Known Member
    Registered

People tend to forget that the Celtic church was established before the Catholic. Their teaching is much closer to the original teachings of Jesus, and it does include the concept of re-incarnation.

6. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

South America. Descended into 'hell' for three days before ascending. Not sure the natives thought of it as hell but....

John Brunner likes this.
  7. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Another Christian who believed in reincarnation was Edgar Cayce, known as The Sleeping Prophet. I believe that this is an interesting question, and I have looked at it both ways.
    I read what Cayce said, but didn’t think that it necessarily was correct, but I could see his interpretation. Have you read this, @Michelle Anderson , and if so, what was your thought about it ?
    An interesting thing is that we do read in the Bible about demons (evil spirits) entering both a human body and animals (pigs, as an example) and taking over the body.
    Jesus had to cast out demons, and he also told his apostles that they would be casting out demons.

So, if an evil spirit can dwell in a human body, maybe for the lifetime of that body, then it seems possible to me that a good spirit of a departed person might be able to “return” into another human body. The idea of coming back to lean to live a better life, or maybe to redeem a poorly lived one, makes sense to me, with the spirit achieving a higher spirituality over the lives.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2024
    Jenna Parnellson likes this.
  8. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Haha, yes, they are "regular people." :D:D Although honestly I find them kinder and gentler than most. When I was working I had a Mormon supervisor; he was such a kind, generous and supportive man.

9. John Brunner

I wonder if that might not imply they carried the Platonic concept of reincarnation with them, although he post-dated "ancient" Egypt.)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2024
  10. Caitlin D Burnside

Caitlin D Burnside Well-Known Member
    Registered

What is still festering is the same that has been around for a long time.

When you've had very important questions to which rightful answers would have made things so much easier in the latter years...

I've accomplished a lot in almost two years, so did my daughter. But trying to get answers to one thing, after so many tries and failing, I've given up. The way is forward, as I've enough of telling people that right now in that moment I want to talk...

Thanks but no thanks, I'm not wanting an appointment in a year's time... Geez Louise! You're told that every services is available, some 24/7, but only to leave a message and then wait for a callback that never comes... Sorry, off chest, feeling much better...

Mary Stetler likes this.
  11. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Not a question you can check with google?

Caitlin D Burnside likes this.
  12. Caitlin D Burnside

Caitlin D Burnside Well-Known Member
    Registered

Och no dear Mary!!! However, I've received nearly all the answers I'd been looking for just this morning BTW. In my YouTube video feeds, there was a reader whom hit it right in the nail. All pieces fell in place. The relief has been washing over me since...

I had to dash out, so that's why I'm a wee bit late to visiting here today haha...

13. Johnny Forster

Johnny Forster Active Member
    Registered

Life after death ..... those words imply that we are alive and then we will cease to be alive and then we will continue to be alive again. A matter of perception, or faith. If one believes that one is part of the universal self-aware consciousness that is the Universe, then living before death and living after death are one and the same. The "death" part is just a necessary transition from one plane of consciousness to another. The stuff of consciousness is a continuum. It pervades existence and all that is in existence. Consciousness is all there is, and all that is, is consciousness. So life after death is the same as life before life. Our 5 senses prevent us from perceiving reality for what it is.... a continuum of consciousness.

14. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Nothing that did not exist in the beginning has been added. Nothing that existed in the beginning has ceased to exist. It changes form but still exists. A seed falls to the ground, takes root and grows into a tree. The tree lives out its life, falls to the ground and becomes soil. Another seed falls to the soil and becomes another tree. So, the cycle continues.

We have a life force. I remember some years ago, scientists actually measured something like an electrical force emanating from a person. When we are no longer alive, where does the life force go? It doesn't cease to exist.