Life In Our Assisted Living After Taking The Vaccine

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Lon Tanner, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

The staff here has been working extra hard. The Dining Room is closed until further notice and all meals are being brought to the residents apartment. Menu selection has been reduced and food orders are taken in the evening for the next days three meals. Most of the residents, including me, keep snacks and quick meals in their kitchenettes.

Lois Winters and Frank Sanoica like this.
  2. Ron Simpson

Ron Simpson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

3. Ron Simpson

Ron Simpson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Thanks for your post, Ron. I am happy to get your experiences, especially in a group living environment. I have been getting lots of laughs at the idiots stripping the stores, but do realize SOME caution is sensible. I am especially reminded of the situation with my ex-mother-in-law who was moved out of her group home in ND because of over-concern about losing electricity due to the POSSIBILITY of the local electrical power plant being flooded (it didn't happen). When the crisis was over they only brought back about 3/4s of the residents; the stress of the double move was fatal to too many that were forced to move.

I am concerned that some parts of our government are "manufacturing" the current situation, which is NOT the worst we have faced in this country, to extend government control of our lives. Sensible caution and help for others than ourselves is definitely commendable, but extending government control of our lives and freedom should be of great concern.

Von Jones likes this.
  4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

You've got it. That goes along with the Obama-era motto, "Never let a crisis go to waste." State and local governments are using the panic to enact laws and regulations that people wouldn't have stood for otherwise.

As to the OP, it makes sense for an assisted living facility to take those steps.

Frank Sanoica and Lois Winters like this.
  5. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

That is exactly what is going on here as well. No one is permitted in from the outside except staff. All who come through that front door must first wash hands, then have temps taken and answer some basic questions. Everyone is cooperating except our few ready for the Alzheimer's Unit. They are a handful for the staff.

Frank Sanoica and Yvonne Smith like this.
  6. Lon Tanner

Registered

Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner meals are chosen in the early evening of the day before serving the next day. The choices are limited. The Dining Room is closed and will be until further notice. Breakfast is brought to my section of apartments between 8:30 & 9:30 AM, Lunch between 1:00 to 2: PM, Dinner--5;30 to 7 PM. All meals are brought to our apartment on a large white plate & completely covered with Seran Wrap, making it suitable for heating or re-heating in our Microwave. Utensils are wrapped in a cloth napkin. Dirty plates and utensils are picked up from our kitchen counters one to two hours after eating. A variety of beverages are transported on large serving carts to the apartments. I am fascinated with the logistics required to feed us all and impressed with the results. I may be isolated, but I am certainly being well fed. Dinner will be coming shortly and I will take a pic and post later.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  7. Lon Tanner

Registered

And here we g0 with a delicious Salmon Dinner

Stay at Home Dinner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2020
  8. Lois Winters

Registered

They aren't even bother to get to my apartment half of the time. Run out of everything. This is unacceptable and the director here just gives one lip service when complaints are filed. She is totally harried, runs around acting like a Walmart greeter and that's it.

9. Lon Tanner

Registered

Care Takers are doing a good job of looking after the residents.

10. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

They have to, Lon. A number of the coronavirus "positives" have came from Care Homes. That's where ours came from. One lady died of it there.

One "positive" was from a Care Giver and the other three from residents. If we go to that end of town, we will go up there by way of the long way around, so we don't have to go by the Care/Rehab Center.

11. Lon Tanner

Registered

None of us expected the same gourmet food or service we enjoyed before the Virus but we are sure getting some strange meals now.

12. Lois Winters

Registered

Our spring menu is terrible and we aren't getting full food orders. No fruit to speak of. Awful. We should stop paying rent as there isn't a shortage of food.

13. Lon Tanner

Registered

Our Director is leaving the end of the month to get married and take a job in Los Angeles with another AL. There has been three directors in the three years that I have been here.

14. Lois Winters

Registered

We go through so many E.D.s, Lon, I lost count. This one is no more than a Walmart Greeter who simply gives lip service. Our Regional Dietician is absolutely off her rocker. I threw her out of my apartment recently.

15. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

Do I hear complaints? That ought not to be the case in view of the monthly payments you both make. Unbelievably high they are.

Lois Winters likes this.