Living In Assisted Living

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Lon Tanner, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I am hoping this is best place to ask this question. Do any of you come up with facial skin breakouts ? I have had maybe 5 bumps on my face in a life time. I am very fair skinned, but just never had issues growing up like many others. A few months ago I would get one or two, but them they would go away. Last few days I have many across my face. I thought it might be one or two things but now not so sure. Just start out as tiny little bump, but a few are bigger. I have put two different types of medicines on them but nothing helps. Yes, I will probably have to go to doctor ,and i will just as soon as I see the eye doctor, the dentist coming up soon.
    These bumps do not itch or hurt, but i am looking like a 15 year old with possible acne:(

Faye Fox likes this.
  2. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I do from time to time. So many causes and one to ask your dermatologist and PCP about. As we age our skin gets dryer so sort of the opposite of being a teen, but still is a condition that sores and growths seem to thrive. I wouldn't speculate what it might be, just get it checked. Any rough spots can be pre-cancer so well worth a yearly dermotologist visit so it can be addressed in the early stages.

3. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Being in the south and a paleface I've dealt with skin cancers since I was 26 when I had the first one sliced off my nose.I refuse to have radiation treatments for skin cancers.15 years ago they siad I needed radiation under my eye and it could cause me to lose site in both eyes.I ask other option they said surgery so they did small biopsy and that took care of it.
    90% of mine have been froze off other 10% sugically removred.
    I don't trust doctorrs to ' first do no harm'. I trust them on a trust but verify attitude.
    Maybe I have just been lucky but I refuse radiaation unless its absolutely nessasary.
    That may be from caring for my mother who had lung cancer and we went to radiologist 5 days a week .Doctor said not to save her but to make her death more comforfortable.She passed in our front room never spent a day in hospital. I took total care except for radiologist till Hospice came and helped me last week of her life. I think radiation did help to shrink tumor blocking airway.But not for basic skin imo.Is the cure worse than the illness is what I ask myself.
    People put too much faith in doctors,imo. I go to doctors but always ask questions and stay involved in my care.

4. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

I went through an MRI a couple months ago. I don't know what the reason was for, but it was in interesting ride...

5. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

@Marie Mallery In my opinion, doctors advise and we decide. It used to be that doctors loved an engaged patent. Now it feels as though we're just in the way. (I don't care, I'm not a farm animal.)

@Gloria Mitchell I've been to a dermatologist 3 times, all in the past few years. Twice was to have my body inspected for skin cancer, because my GP said I have a lot of moles and should get a baseline inspection...so I did (everything's fine.) The other time was for a huge blood blister under my thumbnail that was progressing up the nail bed towards the tip.

In these days of skin cancer concern, you should go to get a baseline checkup anyway. A few weeks ago I woke up with what looked like a mass of small water blisters on the back of my right thigh. They itched like crazy. I popped a couple of Benadryl and they were gone by the next morning. I have no idea what they were, but they never came back.

6. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

You agreed to an MRI but don't know what for?

Hedi Mitchell and John Brunner like this.
  7. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

11:30 AM==Food Talk with the Chef 3 PM Ice Cream & Sundaes

8. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Interesting thread, very interesting!:):cool:

9. Lon Tanner

Registered

I went to the Food Talk by our Executive Chef and left because my hearing is so bad I could not hear him. Food Talk.jpg

Shirley Martin likes this.
  10. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I know totally what you mean, Lon. Even with my nice hearing aids on, the hearing out of my left ear is darn near nothing. Next month, I go get my hearing checked, and diagnosed, at local VA Clinic. Have no idea what is wrong with my left ear, but almost zero hearing from it.

11. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

You would think if someone were going to make a presentation to an audience of seniors, they would have been prepared for that possibility. Should have had slides or something.

Shirley Martin likes this.
  12. Lon Tanner

Registered

I thought when I moved here that all the residents were like me and would be here until they died. I have met several new residents that are here recovering from a hospital surgery or procedure and will be leaving to go to their homes after recovery. Makes good sense from a management point of view to use previously empty apartments for the cash flow. There will be some of course that do not recover and will become permanent residents.

13. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

In my county, there is a hospice facility that also houses folks who need short-term assistance recuperating from illness and surgery. I would never have thought that retirement facilities/assisted living (like where you live, Lon) would also take in folks transitioning from illness back into being independent. I don't know why such a thing would not be more commonplace, other than a capacity issue. Perhaps Medicare reimbursement limits are a factor (Medicare covers such transitioning costs, and regs might prevent facilities from turning away Medicare patients.) I wonder if your place can step into this business temporarily and then extricate itself once the "permanent residency" market picks back up.

14. Lon Tanner

Registered

As long as they can keep the apartments occupied I don't think management cares. Other Assisted Living facilities in this area do the same thing. All of the temporary residents are on Medicare with supplemental insurance.

15. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Never heard of that in assisted living ,only in nursing homes.

Yvonne Smith and John Brunner like this.