Living In Assisted Living

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Lon Tanner, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

Im constantly amazed at how many organizations that cater to seniors have no methods in place for hearing impaired seniors.

Faye Fox likes this.
  2. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I see several couples here at my Assisted Living with one spouse pushing their spouses wheel chair or providing other care and assistance in a dangerous stumbling and fumbling manner. It's just a matter of time before Oakmont care takers are taking care of both.

3. Jack Roberts

Jack Roberts Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

You see people helping people but doing so at great risk, or so it sounds like. The Oakmont caretakers sound like they view it as job security or expansion, as sad as that seems to be.

4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Isn't that the whole point of "assisted living??"

5. Lon Tanner

Registered

It's just a matter of one spouse being in better health when they move in, but only temporarily. Oakmont caretakers do a good job for one or both.

6. Lon Tanner

Registered

10:00 AM Garden Club Oakmont has a Movie Theater, Activity Room for these activities.

11:00 AM Chair Exercise I don't plan to attend any of them.
    2:00 PM Movie
    2: 00 PM Bible Study
    3;00 PM Dominoes Club
    6:00 PM Movie

7. Lon Tanner

Registered

I had my toe nails cu t and feet examined this morning as part of the care services provided by Oakmont. A Podiatrist visits every other month.

Faye Fox likes this.
  8. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Do they have a trained foot massage therapist visit? I haven't found such a therapist since I left Colorado. I am disappointed in most Podiatrists and have yet to find one that understands how to help high arched feet. Most told me not to wear any heel of height and had a bunch of cobbled up insoles they say was custom made for me. They never worked. I solved my aching arches by trying on heel shoes, boots, and sandals until I find one that has the right bend in the sole, thanks to the heel usually 2" to 21/2," and matches my arch and with the addition of an inexpensive Dr Scholls arch insole does the trick nicely. I get pedicures regularly and they do some massage, mainly on the legs, but an extensive and skilled foot massage isn't to be found around here.

If I ever find an affordable independent seniors community that has a resident foot masseuse, if I can afford it, I am moving.

9. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Glad you have the help Lon.

10. Lon Tanner

Registered

We have a Massage Room with a resident maseuse and Reflexology (foot massage) is one of her specialities. She charges $60 per hour. I'd love to have you as a neighbor.

Faye Fox likes this.
  11. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Wow, that sounds great but I don't think I could live in an apartment and am not sure I could live in California. I would gladly pay that for a medical quality foot massage. We might have someone here that does it with a whole-body massage, but I just want the foot one where they work on nerves in your feet that also affect other body functions. I never cared for whole-body massage, just feet, legs, and shoulders.

Another thing I want as long as I can is a small private back patio that I can walk out on in the morning and do my exercises unencumbered by garment restriction. I wouldn't do exercise rooms or gyms or any community things except the dining room and wine or music events. The trouble with most senior dining rooms is they serve dinner at 5 PM. I eat at 3 PM so that would force me into changing my ways. I guess you could join me at 3 PM for wine, cheese, and crackers in the courtyard, but Cranberry couldn't come because I am allergic to cats. I love cats but can't be around them.

So here is the thing Lon, I might be ready for senior assisted living at Oakmont in 15 years, so that gives you a reason to hang on until over 100 so I can move next door and post on SOC about my neighbor Alonzo at 102 and his 16-year-old cat, Cranberry. I think Crans will look classy with a bit of gray, but only time will tell.

12. Lon Tanner

Registered

13. Lon Tanner

Registered

I will attend primarily for the wine only Happy Hour but with my severe hearing loss I will not hear anything.

14. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Lon, can you feel the vibrations from the music?

15. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Lon, with your cochlear implant, don't you hear but it all sounds metallic? I am totally left in one ear and they wanted to put in a cochlear implant but I said no as my other ear is about 50 % good and I don't want the metallic sound interfering as I still have a fair range of frequencies in my good ear. Do you hear women's voices better than men's? I do as I have lost some low frequencies.

Also what kind of concert? All, they have at assisted living around here is old-time bluegrass. I love OT bluegrass but hearing The Great Speckled Bird sang with piano, fiddle, and guitar accompaniment week after week can become a bit much.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
    Marci Miller likes this.