Living In High Heat?

Discussion in 'Places I Have Lived' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Oct 3, 2023.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Could you live somewhere where the summer temps can/do get to 114 degrees?

We knew it got hot here in Henderson, but guess a person has to feel it/live in it, to find out if they can tolerate it. We aren't totally sure we can. It's cool in the early morning, but once the 90 mark hits and it starts going up, we can't do anything outside. It does become intolerable!

2. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

@Cody Fousnaugh - yes we do, at times get that hot. We have always made sure we shopped or worked outside early and by noon or 1 pm we are in for rest of the day. Climate change alone has made it hard to find a place where the weather is we all at one time considered normal.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, in doing a little research, northern Nevada doesn't get 114, but does get into the low 90's, of which we can handle better. We are totally amazed at how many people live in both Henderson and Vegas. Have seen a LOT of California plates here. Actually we thought our last location was getting overrun by people, but nothing like here.

Just don't think that a 10-day rodeo will be able to hold us here, but have time to figure that out.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

@Cody Fousnaugh - I feel like you pick the wrong reasons to move Cody. After moving from Texas to Kansas, I thought I had researched everything. Concern yourself more with the laws of that state in regards to Wills, property , and taxes for sure. I had no idea how high the taxes would be in Kansas. Or that even your vehicle is taxed vs having state inspection.
    That our Wills we had done the year before may not be valid in Kansas. The food tax and non food tax here is high, and adds up quickly. Biggest thing of all is medical. My biggest fear was confirmed after moving here, medical is a nightmare here. I was glad to be dirt cheap rent in a small town, and the lifestyle here - but these other important things in our life ware becoming a problem. As long as you can afford( another high thing here) ac and heat, I would give not a flip much to the weather, which changes constantly.

Mary Stetler and Yvonne Smith like this.
  5. Hoot Crawford

Hoot Crawford Veteran Member
    Registered

I lived in Sun City West, AZ for a couple of years. 110 - 115 was not unusual, especially in July and August. Since I wasn't outside working in it, it was no big deal.

But of course, I visited AZ several times before I moved there, so I knew what it would be like.

Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.
  6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

We did and didn't make the wrong choices to move. We wanted to move someplace that had a lake that would take motorized boats, like ours, not just electric ones (like a trolling motor). We'd been to the National Finals Rodeo in Vegas a number of times and that 10-day rodeo was another major factor to our move. Getting away from a lot of "Old Man Winter" was another reason, but we have never lived in heat like it is here in the summer. Apparently, sooner or later, and it was 10 1/2 years later, that we knew we'd move back into "Old Man Winter" when we moved back to Colorado from northeastern Florida. During that 10 1/2 years, we kept all of our winter clothes we had from Colorado when we moved to Florida and we still have it all. So, don't know exactly what that means, but we continue to keep all of that winter clothing.

We had never been in Henderson, but had been in Vegas a number of times, but never during the summer heat. Our problem was that we weren't financially able, or had the time, to fly to Vegas/Henderson during the summer to find out about the heat.

In "thinking" about moving up to northern Nevada the middle of next year, if wife is still working, will take a week off, rent a car (if we haven't got a newer one by then) and drive up to Carson City, and maybe Reno, and check it out. The population in Henderson is growing, growing and growing. Don't know what the attraction is, but it sure is huge here in Henderson and Vegas.

7. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

When we check out Carson City, we will find out if what we are told is true......"you will always see people wearing a cowboy hat here". Either there are a lot of serious rodeo fans or cattle ranches in the area or both. We haven't seen any of that here, except in December when that major rodeo is here. Heck, we probably have the only home/apartment, in Henderson, that has a hat rack with two cowboy hats hanging from the top and all decor related to rodeo and the Old West.

8. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I live where temps and humidity get into the 90s...at the same time. There are places south of me where it's worse.

I bet you got a dry heat.

9. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

It might help to keep an eye on the weather information for the places you are considering, even if you do not get there enough to really evaluate a place in all four seasons of the year, @Cody Fousnaugh .
    Also, reading a local newspaper will give you a lot of good information, and there is likely a facebook page or group for the areas you are considering as well, so you can read what local residents are saying about the area.

Don Alaska likes this.
  10. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Having lived in high heat areas--both humid and dry--I prefer the dry to the humid. In the absence of A/C, in the dry areas, just step into the shade, and if there is any breeze at all, you are much more comfortable. In humid areas, the shade makes little difference, and, while a shower can cool the air, as the rain evaporates, the temp-humidity index gets even worse. You can, however, acclimatize yourself to either situation but it does takes some time and you may have to live in a location for a year or two to get used to the climate. Heat is not generally a real issue here, but on those rare occasions when it does get hot, everyone suffers, as there is little or no A/C in private homes. Getting used to the cold (and dark) is another issue altogether.

11. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Don't know if we will be able to endure the heat here, but we did endure it, along with the humidity, in Jacksonville, Florida. However, without really realizing it until 2018, we had given up on rodeo almost completely. All western clothing/hats stayed inside a closet for most of the time we lived there. Didn't realize just how much we missed rodeo, until we made a visit back to Colorado and went to Cheyenne Frontier Days in Cheyenne, Wyoming. That was when we realized how much we'd given up on rodeo. People at the JIA (Jacksonville International Airport) did take a second glance at us wearing cowboy hats, etc.. Definitely not a common sight in Jacksonville.

Don't know what we will do, but do know that it can/does get very hot here. Definitely not use to that! Perhaps after a year, but I certainly doubt it. That, along with the population explosion going on here, it's like "jumping from the frying pan into the fire" thing.

12. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Why don't you get on a rodeo forum, explain your life situation, and ask the folks there for a place with reasonable climate and rodeo events? There may be some local/regional events you might enjoy that you're not aware of in a place that's more suited to what you want.

13. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I can't imagine working in that heat. but if it were me, I would be up at 4am, get things done by 9:30, do things inside, take a nap, be out in the evening.
    Hope his condo is adobe.

14. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Yeah, I lived in the Rio Grande Valley for twenty years. Not 114 degrees, but frequently above 100. You can acclimate to it if you don't depend on air conditioning. In fact, I helped fight a brush fire in temperatures above 100 degrees (not counting the heat from the fire), in full fire gear. I was afraid I was going to pass out that time, though.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2023
    Bobby Cole and Don Alaska like this.
  15. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

An online rodeo forum was being set up by someone, but it was never finished. It cost to set up a forum and we haven't got the money for that.

John Brunner likes this.