Low Carb: What Are We Eating?

Discussion in 'Diets & Dieting' started by Steve North, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Joe Smith

Joe Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I'd say.

2. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

I keep on trying to eat a balanced meal but if I have to gain weight and load up on calories, it isn't easy to eat a balanced meal..
    I am still trying to consume volume in my eating but I am still not there.. I get full very quickly when eating as my stomach has shrunk..

At last count, my weight is 174 pounds which is too low for me.. I would like to be just under the 200 mark around the 195 pounds.. I will gain the weight but very slowly because if I go too fast, it will be hard to stop and it won't be good for my body..

Yvonne Smith and Don Alaska like this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Probably, you have lost a lot of muscle when you were so sick, @Steve North , and what you need to gain back is that lost muscle. Muscle weighs about four times as much as the same size chunk of fat, and muscle is what you need to be strong again.
    I have a friend in Idaho who has digestive issues and is trying to gain weight; but she can’t seem to understand that eating cookies and cakes are not going to help her gain helpful weight or make her any stronger.
    When I suggested trying food like cottage cheese and fruit, she says she doesn’t like cottage cheese and won’t even try to eat healthy foods that don’t taste sweet.

Don Alaska likes this.
  4. Steve North

Registered

I GAINED 4 POUNDS......... From 174 to 178...
    I weighed myself today and since I am no longer on the nighttime feed, I gained 4 pounds by eating high calorie foods..
    When I started getting ill in June, I weighed around the 210 pounds mark and I went down to 171 and now I am gaining slowly and I am up to 178 pounds as of this morning..
    My goal is to be just under 200, around the 195 mark.....
    No rush... actually I would rather gain slowly instead of fast...

I walk every day that the weather permits for about a good 25 to 30 minutes with my walker..
    Doing exercises will come later when I can handle it, but for now, I won't try anything strenuous....
    building up strength is definitely a must..

Yvonne Smith and Don Alaska like this.
  5. Steve North

Registered

Today I had a 6 inch sub at Subway.. It was the chicken breast one and I didn't take any hot peppers..
    I ate the whole thing and I was full after it.. Before my problem, I would of had a 12 incher, but now, 6 inches is filling to me..
    I am still trying to load myself up with calories to gain back some weight..
    I realize this isn't low carb, but I must put on some weight before I go back to my low carb way of living...

6. Steve North

Registered

I weighed myself today and I gained a few more pounds..
    I am now up to 181 pounds...
    I know I am gaining way too fast, but from now on, I am watching my calories.. I don't want to shoot up too fast as it will be difficult to stop or control..

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. Steve North

Registered

Not much more to say other than I am eating and gaining weight slowly..
    The last thing I want to do is gain weight very fast which is not good..

Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.
  8. Joe Smith

Joe Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Not much more for me to say other than I am eating and gaining weight swiftly..
    The last thing I want to do is gain weight very fast which is not good..but it happens!

9. Steve North

Registered

I am back after having computer problems..
    I had a teleconferencing meeting on Wednesday with my doctor that operated on my stomach..
    I am eating almost everything except cabbage and the cabbage family like broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts as thay cause lots of gas in my stomach.. Other than that, I can eat anything.. I MUST avoid forever.... carbonated drinks, citrus, alcohol drinks, peppermint, spiced foods, and nuts.. Hey, that means NO BEER !!!
    I am gaining weight slowly.. I am feeling a bit stronger, but I am still very weak..
    With time, I will get back to almost a normal way of eating except those few foods..

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  10. Steve North

Registered

I cooked supper tonight...
    Salmon fillets on the stove top in butter and oil..
    Steamed carrots & potatoes mashed with lots of butter and chives..
    Jello with heavy cream..

Marie Mallery likes this.
  11. Steve North

Registered

I weighed myself yesterday and I now weigh 178 pounds..
    Now, that is an improvement from the low I was, but not still where I would like to be..
    My doctor would like me to stay around my present weight, but another 10 pounds would make me feel better..
    Gaining weight isn't as easy as one thinks because I eat healthy meals that are balanced in nutrition and not very high in calories or carbs..
    With the holidays coming, perhaps I will gain a few pounds...
    Meanwhile, I am continuing to eat the way I do...

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  12. Samual Yoder

Samual Yoder Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Too much rigor ma row, if it looks good, smells good just eat it. We are an over weight nation there is always liposuction as a last resort.

13. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

Hill's bacon, thick slices, made in Oregon my home-State, with range free large eggs, Mozarella Cheese, Rumiano's made here where I live, Organic spinach, Chicory Root/regular leaded coffee I mix up myself.

Forgot my Alexander's Half and Half, cinnamon and cacao, and a little stevia for my coffee.

I also sprinkle Nutritional Yeast and Flaxseed on my eggs/omelette.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2021
  14. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm sorry I didn't read more posts, only the OP Steve ;( I didn't know about you having to drop the low-carb and gain some weight back.

15. Steve North

Registered

Yes, I had two operations .. I had open stomach surgery.. I was on a feed for about 6 weeks as well as liquid only.. I ended up losing 45 pounds.. I am a bit too low for my liking, but I will slowly put back on about 10 more pounds and then hold at that which will be around the 190 pounds mark..

Denise Evans likes this.