Lunar Lunacy

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Faye Fox, Mar 31, 2022.

1. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Anything happened to you recently that was "Over the moon crazy?"

Here is what happened to me just minutes ago. I hadn't shaved my legs (other than slightly above the ankle for ankle jeans) since spring 2019 since I decided no more public shorts-wearing and leggings with skirts. as a concrete rule. It isn't that I am changing my mind, just that I was embrassed pulling my jeans up above my knees for a pedicure and leg massage. My friend pointed out I had a few extra long McGuinness book-worthy hairs that caused her to suffer personal embarrassment on my behalf.

Ok here is what happened. I completed my leg shave using my electric razor. It is getting dull and new blades cost about as much as a new unit. I thought that after my completion of the previously said task, I would check Amazon for replacement blades or perhaps a razor. When I opened my computer to first check the weather, I was bombarded with ladies' electric razor ads, one with a video playing and a smooth-legged young lady bragging about how it was the best razor ever.

What is bizarre and over the moon crazy is I hadn't even mentioned to anyone, verbalized aloud to myself, searched, or in any way indicated I needed a new razor. My computer, I pad, and cell were in another room and I was in my bathroom with the door closed. How did the internet know I needed a razor? I understand the bombardment of USA-made SAS shoes since I had put sandals and walking shoes in my cart this very morning, but how did the freaking weather channel ads know I needed a razor? Coincidence or is my computer bugged to read my mind?

In any case, I was shocked and still in disbelief.

Ed Wilson and Yvonne Smith like this.
  2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

My bad.

You know I have no discretion.

Faye Fox and Mary Stetler like this.
  3. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Welllll, spring is coming and sometimes some women need to deal with this issue as the weather warms but I have been warning my neighbor about her alexa.
    I HATE ads that follow me from WHATEVER source. So it was definitely John.

Faye Fox and John Brunner like this.
  4. John Brunner

Some people really believe that Alexa is "asleep" until her name is spoken. There have been corporate admissions of recorded conversations to "help refine your future requests." Sure. And I was just making sure your windows were streak-free...at 10PM.

Mary Stetler and Faye Fox like this.
  5. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

"There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area we call the Twilight Zone."
    [​IMG]

6. John Brunner

Or in the case of unshaven legs, It is an area we call the Commune.

Ed Wilson and Faye Fox like this.
  7. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Alexa sees all, knows all. There is no escape. Bwahahahaha!

8. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't know about that.
    I don't have any idea of when I last shaved my legs (and I have NICE legs like my mom's) But I am old (too old for a commune). So, I don't have any hair left on my legs. If I did, it would be white. Not sure if my wearing jeans ALL the time did not wear it all off. but it is gone. My kids are hairier than I ever was but they don't bother with shaving either wearing jeans all the time.
    I wore a dress somewhere in the past and my next door neighbor claimed he didn't even know I HAD legs.

John Brunner, Faye Fox and Ed Wilson like this.
  9. John Brunner

It is an interesting weird cultural thing. It's as though women are always supposed to look like kids.

From what I've read, it seems that the tradition of women shaving their armpits in this country started in the 20s with Flappers and their sleeveless dresses. Those selling such garments referred to it as "unnecessary hair." Shaving legs here apparently began in the 40s when nylon stockings were mass-produced. (Or so claims the web.) So like everything else, personal hygiene at a universal cultural level in our culture is dictated by advertising and the media. (We went from "A little dab will do ya" to "The wet head is dead" at record speed, and not by our own choice.)

But this shaving stuff all started with the Egyptians. I don't know how/when it made its way (or not) to other cultures. I guess it's a weird sign of societal advancement when survival needs are so universally met that this kind of stuff makes its way into daily life.