Making Your Own Jewelry

Discussion in 'Hobbies & Crafts' started by Silvia Benoit, Dec 25, 2020.

1. Silvia Benoit

Silvia Benoit Veteran Member
    Registered

I made this pair of earrings as a present for a friend; tomorrow is her birthday

Attached Files:

2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Very pretty, Silvia. I know your friend will appreciate those.

I have strung a few stretch-cord bracelets but that's about as far as my jewelry creating progressed.

Faye Fox and Silvia Benoit like this.
  3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Those are nice.

My ex used to make jewelry...necklaces, earrings, rings, etc.

4. Silvia Benoit

Registered

Well, at the beginning I did the same; only bracelets. I took a class for NYC Retired Teachers at the Teachers Learning Center.
    Is not difficult at all and I even sold several pieces.
    If you have questions don't hesitate to ask.
    Thanks for the compliments.

Faye Fox, Bill Boggs and Bobby Cole like this.
  5. Silvia Benoit

Registered

I also want to make the matching necklace but I am short of "pearls". Hopefully Michael' s has some.

Faye Fox likes this.
  6. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Hummm, my wife only wears ear stud earrings, but has a jewelry box with some jewelry in it. IOW, she's not much of a jewelry person and I love that.

We both use to know a lady, an old friend of mine, that loved jewelry.............and I do mean "loved" jewelry. Rings on almost every finger. My wife only wears her wedding set and that's it. My step-mom only wore her wedding band.

Guess there can be a difference between "city/big city" ladies and "small town/farm" ones.

7. Silvia Benoit

Registered

[QUOTEGuess there can be a difference between "city/big city" ladies and "small town/farm" ones.[/QUOTE]
    Trust me, ask around and you will realize there is no such difference....specially if the person makes her own jewelry.

Faye Fox likes this.
  8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Trust me, ask around and you will realize there is no such difference....specially if the person makes her own jewelry.[/QUOTE]

Ok, first, I was raised around, and on a farm. What about you? I still remember what the ladies wore on the farms around us. I seen them at church. I've been around ladies in rodeo and, like my wife, are fans of rodeo and they don't necessarily go that that "city look". Many like silver on their saddles, and an older World Champion Barrel Racer, Marlene Edelman, actually sells her own line of silver studded barrel saddles.

Anyway, to a point, you are right, but then again, not. Women who live in small towns and farm/ranch areas can like necklaces and charm bracelets decorated with farm/ranch livestock and farming equipment. That is very unlike women in cities/big cities.

As far as "making their own jewelry, when would they have time? Helping on a farm/ranch is pretty much a full-time job.

9. Silvia Benoit

Registered

Ok, first, I was raised around, and on a farm. What about you? I still remember what the ladies wore on the farms around us. I seen them at church. I've been around ladies in rodeo and, like my wife, are fans of rodeo and they don't necessarily go that that "city look". Many like silver on their saddles, and an older World Champion Barrel Racer, Marlene Edelman, actually sells her own line of silver studded barrel saddles.

Anyway, to a point, you are right, but then again, not. Women who live in small towns and farm/ranch areas can like necklaces and charm bracelets decorated with farm/ranch livestock and farming equipment. That is very unlike women in cities/big cities.

As far as "making their own jewelry, when would they have time? Helping on a farm/ranch is pretty much a full-time job.[/QUOTE]

I was raised in a big city and, also, in a big ranch...with sheep, horses, chickens, gauchos, roanas (ponchos), cowboy hats and a lot of grass...Yes, in the Patagonian region of Argentina and with The Andes mountains as background....so.
    The fact the ladies you know like jewelry with "farm decorations" doesn't mean those are the only ones they like....I have sent pieces to ladies in remote towns of NY and NJ; the Internet makes a difference.
    See, to like jewelry -diamonds or custom made- is not a sin nor a waste.

NOTE: My avatar is real; it was taken four years ago. I am the lady in the car with a roana, a real Stetson hat...and in my way to visit tje ranch I mentioned before.

10. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Ok, but just how much do you know about ranching? Also, I'm not going to argue with you about farm/ranch women and wearing jewelry. The farm I lived on, I helped my step-dad work. I know what I've seen, being around and involved in professional rodeo. The only ladies I seen, that wore any jewelry, except for pierced ear rings, were what rodeo cowboys call.........."Buckle Bunnies". Those that knew more about country dancing than anything about horses or any rodeo events. There are even farm and/or ranch ladies that don't even believe in wearing dresses, that is, unless it would be to Sunday church..........if even then. Wrangler jeans are mostly their choice of wear.

Silvia, I have even owned two horses (Quarter Horses), was a Horseback Trail Guide and numerous years in rodeo. Believe me, I know what I'm talking about. And, there very well could be small towns in NY and NJ that have no farms/ranches. Another thing, NY and NJ sure isn't Colorado, Wyoming, Montana or any states like them.

But, you believe what you want to, but I live in the northern part of a western, livestock, crop and rodeo area. I don't see ladies here wearing that much, let alone any, jewelry. I have seen Wrangler jeans, Roper boots and Resistol hats............just like my wife has and wears.

11. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

12. Silvia Benoit

Registered

No, I don't know much about ranching....only that my family owned one and I enjoyed spending all my vacations there.
    What I know is the ladies who lived in said ranch used jewelry as much as the city girls.

It sounds you are campaigning against ten bucks jewelry and in favor of the husbands' pockets. :)

Faye Fox likes this.
  13. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Actually, Yvonne, you should get involved since you were around rodeo and such. You, yourself, should know there is a major difference between what ladies in Los Angeles, Chicago, NYC and other big cities wear, compared to farm/ranch ladies.

14. Silvia Benoit

Registered

My friend loved the earrings. The other two ladies in the group suggested they would love similar presents. LOL
    Gee, older people are a lot more jealous than the kids. LOL

Faye Fox likes this.
  15. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Farm/ranch ladies simply don't have the same interests or "in common" things that big city ladies do. What they wear or what they do.

Now, what I have seen, which can be/is hilarious to many ladies who live/work on a farm/ranch, is seeing models advertising for Boot Barn, Sheplers or other big retail outlet. There are working ranch cowboys that may see the advertising and laugh their butts off also.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2020