Mammograms At... Walmart?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Beth Gallagher, Feb 24, 2024.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Yep.

"RadNet was featured on cnn.com this week for its pioneering collaboration with Walmart to deliver screening mammography to a wider population. The breast screening service, called MammogramNow, launched on December 8, 2023, in the Walmart Supercenter in Milford, Del., and is expected to expand to other Walmart locations this year.

Women are advised to begin routine breast cancer screening starting at age 40. Early detection is paramount, as it allows for the most optimal treatment options and outcomes. The survival rate for cancers caught in stage 1 is 99%.

Access to potentially life-saving preventive exams can be challenging, and the RadNet-Walmart partnership aims to make it as convenient as possible for women to start and continue routine breast care screening. Ninety percent of all Americans live within 10 miles of a Walmart. Walmart shopper Dierdre Bell asked, “You come here to get clothes, food, medicine. Why not a mammogram?”

Appointments are available but not required for women visiting MammogramNow. A physician’s referral is also not required. All women who visit the center receive tomosynthesis, a type of mammography that uses 3-D images to improve cancer detection. Women also have the option to add artificial intelligence to their screening, which adds no time to the appointment but leverages the most cutting-edge detection technology."

Von Jones, Ed Wilson and Don Alaska like this.
  2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

My wife has used an imaging center for quite a number of years. They give her Chocolate Boob candy as a reward. Normally she doesn't eat milk chocolate, but she does eat those:)

3. Jacob Petersheim

Jacob Petersheim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Not sure I want a Walbot booth that accepts quarters and asks me to turn my head and cough.

Bobby Cole and Ed Wilson like this.
  4. Tony Nathanson

Tony Nathanson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Well, whatever increases revenue for business............

5. Beth Gallagher

Registered

This certainly makes access to health care more accessible. That article states that out of all the screenings in their first month in that store, one woman's cancer was found.

We have already seen optometrists and glasses available in several stores, as well as walk-in clinics.

Bobby Cole, Von Jones and Ed Wilson like this.
  6. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I thought there was debate between the "regular screenings" doctors and the "we're overdoing it" doctors. What an odd way to deploy this stuff. I wonder if this will expand to other services, like urine and blood collection & analyses?

Bobby Cole likes this.
  7. John Brunner

That's what you get for returning stuff without a receipt.

8. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Apparently with this setup, a person doesn't even need a doctor's order for the scan. Seems that this will be a boon to women in rural areas that would have to travel 50 miles to a doctor but have a Walmart across town. And the walk-in clinics probably already offer some lab services but I don't know for certain.

9. John Brunner

I wonder if part of the cost includes a physician to do the analysis and convey the results/make recommendations.

Von Jones likes this.
  10. Beth Gallagher

Registered

You're not likely to have to worry about that in a mammography clinic. But those moobs could be an issue.

11. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

It should make the screenings more of a routine thing not to be apprehensive about over what they might find as opposed to dreading a doctor's appointment.

12. Beth Gallagher

Registered

The images are sent to a radiologist to read them. I'm sure if something concerning is found, the woman is advised to see a doctor ASAP.

13. John Brunner

Yeh, I was tempted to "drag" this off into the trans-o-sphere. Although men DO get breast cancer.

14. John Brunner

One interesting thing on this is that Lab Corp. has stopped taking blood for self-directed stuff. When I had my micronutrient blood work done, I needed to have blood drawn and sent to the place to do the analyses. The company used to use Lab Corp, but had to switch to another lab called Quest. (I used a roving phlebotomist.)

I believe Lab Corp still sends stuff to 3rd parties because when I had a 24 hour urine collection done, I also had blood drawn at Lab Corp, and the kit that had been mailed to me include the shipping box and a mailing label. They just put it in with their other outbound Fed Ex packages.

It's interesting to see access expanding beyond "Requires Doctor's Orders." I can see this benefiting people who would like to conveniently (and routinely) monitor their A1C or GFR or cholesterol etc etc etc.

Jenna Parnellson and Don Alaska like this.
  15. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I wonder about the technicians and radiologists that work with Mammograms at Walmart? I can't see professionals like a radiologist wanting to work at a discount store.:confused: I could be wrong though.

John Brunner likes this.