Medical Problems

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Samual Yoder, Jan 5, 2022.

1. Samual Yoder

Samual Yoder Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I am diabetic, been type 2 for 22 years now. Blood glucluse not in control, never been in control.
    Had a stroke because one of my heart valves does not function right, flutters which can cause blood clots and probably caused my stroke.
    Had a brain tumor removed but surgeon left several pieces in becuase he could not remove without damaging my brain.
    Now they are trying to decide to give me blood thinners but I say no way.
    I have a sore on my leg that will not heal, is open and drains, it drains blood ever now and then, enough to run down my leg. Blood thinners with will cause it to be hard to stop bleeding. Plus I don't like the idea of taking rat poison which is what blood thinners basically is, even though doctor said they have meds that is not made from decon rat poison ingrediant any more, like I am going to believe them.
    So I say no but they do not like hearing no or a patient refusing to agree with them because they are trying to prevent another stroke, all well and good, so I do not get a stroke but bleed to death because I can't stop the bleeding from my open wound.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

So, just what are you going to do? Good question. Don't want to listen to your doctor. Don't want to do this or that.

As an example, of which I've seen before: A Senior that doesn't want to stop smoking, even though they require an oxygen tank/mask to breath. They will take the mask off, let it hang by the side of a wheelchair and light up a cigarette.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2022
    Beth Gallagher likes this.
  3. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

Sounds like damned if you do or damned if you don't. Doctors want to keep you alive as long as they can so they can bill you as long as they can, so maybe you should take his advice. You could always stop taking the blood thinner

Faye Fox and Beth Gallagher like this.
  4. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

Bleeding to death I'm quite sure is not on my bucket list....I'd be saying no no to Dr.

Faye Fox and Ed Wilson like this.
  5. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

If you aren't interested in the doctor's treatment, why are you going to the doctor? Changing your diet to help control your blood sugar would go a long way toward helping you be more healthy. Sometimes we just have to do things we don't want to do. Sorry you have so many health challenges.

6. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I put a “like” on your post not because I like what’s going on but you’ve allowed us to look at another aspect of Samual Yoder.

One thing I might suggest is to find a Type II diabetes group on say, FB or even a Type II diabetes forum.
    I didn’t go into the forum and take a look but here’s just one that you might join and get some ideas from.
    https://www.diabetesforums.com/forums/forum/4-type-2-diabetes/

7. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

@Samual Yoder - so sorry Sam, you are in a tough situation. My FIL took coumadin and he had many leg issues with sores and drainage. Perhaps a second doctor advice is in order.

Faye Fox, Yvonne Smith and Ed Wilson like this.
  8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Another question for him is, does he take a medication for being a Diabetic II? He can either change his diet or take the medication, but does he want to do either?

9. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The main blood thinner that has “rat poison” is Warfarin/Coumadin , which actually thins the blood, and you have to be tested every couple of weeks to make sure that your blood is not too thick or too thin.
    Plus, different foods can affect the thickness of the blood, so you have to be careful what you eat.

There are newer blood thinners that do not have all of these issues, and that is what it sounds like your doctor wants you to do, @Samual Yoder . I take Eliquis (apixiban) and it does not actually make your blood thinner, instead it makes the blood “slippery”, so that it does not clot together.
    There are several of these types of blood thinner, but my cardiologist recommended the Eliquis because it does less damage to the liver and kidneys. You do not have to go in for testing like you do with Coumadin, and you can eat foods without having to restrict some, because foods do not affect the new medications.

I totally agree with @Beth Gallagher , that diet plays a very important part in controlling diabetes. When you mostly eat foods that do not rapidly raise your blood sugar, then you do not get the spikes that make your body need more insulin. Some people have been able to get completely off of their diabetes medication, just by eating a Whole Foods, plant-based diet.
    There is a good possibility that the ulcerated leg would heal better with a change in diet as well , because then your body’s own healing and immune system would help it to heal faster.

Here is a short little video where doctor Neal Barnard explains the role of diet for treating and reversing diabetes,

10. Samual Yoder

Registered

My health problems are my own doing, I do not regret living the life style I've lived. I go to doctors because I don't have the expertize to remove my own gall bladder or my brain tumors plus it is against the law to make my own pain killers or to even buy them on the street. Why should I do something I don't want to? Whether I go to heaven or hell I am pretty sure there is not going to be cakes, pie ala mode, chocolate bars or donuts so why deprive myself of them now, we only go around this life once, might as well be happy as we wait for our dirt blanket. Whether I die of stroke or heart attack, brain tumor or what ever we all gonna die eventually, no one gets out alive....

Faye Fox and Don Alaska like this.
  11. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

How you live your life and take care of your health is a choice that we all have to make, and then we live with the results of those choices, @Samual Yoder .
    We all make choices and we live with the consequences, good or bad.

What I do not understand is , if you are content with how you are living your life, and not worrying what will happen to your health ; why are we even having this discussion ?
    My mom always told me (when I was grumbling about something) that it does no good to complain. She said to either try hard to fix the problem, or not complain if I was not going to at least try.
    It made me upset; but she was right.

12. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I agree with @Samual Yoder . It's his own fault that he is in that condition. Tough tittie. ;):)

Cody Fousnaugh and Faye Fox like this.
  13. Samual Yoder

Registered

Why the discussion? I got frustrated, mad at myself because I don't trust the medical profession they don't try and cure anything just treat the symptoms instead of treating what is causing the symptoms I don't listen plus I get frustrated because some things I eat I know I should not. I got myself into this mess and it looks like there is no easy fix to get out of it, I have to change and I don't like change. I was a fighter when younger and could endure a lot of physical pain but this mental struggle is worse than physical pain, your mom is right, getting things off your chest does not solve anything.

14. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, apparently, Samual, you didn't get frustrated and/or mad at yourself enough to change anything. And, you are right, many of us don't like change, but. It doesn't seem to bother you at all that you could die. But, live or die, is your choice.

Yes, being frustrated at something will make it a tendency to do a thread about it. I've done that before myself.

15. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Move a long folks....

Cody Fousnaugh and Faye Fox like this.