Medical Sabbatical

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Ron Beforee, Apr 23, 2022.

1. Ron Beforee

Ron Beforee Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Has anyone here/how many here, have taken a [sabbatical] so-to-speak from the medications prescribed by your doc ? If you have ? was it forever ? or for how long a period of time ? Did you notice any change in your general health / feeling ? Any improvement regarding any condition / side-effect from the meds ?

There are so damn many disclaimers / warnings surrounding so many meds that, I am just about ready to dump them all ...... roll the dice .

Then after a period of time perhaps replace them [if i feel I need to] with supplements said to combat the same conditions.

My situation started 22 years ago after 3 stent placements , a B/P med & a statin. This led to a 'need' for additional meds to combat [mostly] the statin, etc.

IMO these various meds led to the on-set of arthritis , or at the very least a more severe dose of it , along with a breakdown of tendons, ligaments, diabetes , overall inflammation , sinus problems,tinnitus again, etc.

Just thinking out-loud, seeking opinions.......Thank You.

Hedi Mitchell and Don Alaska like this.
  2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I have not, Ron. I know that some medications require "weening"; getting off slowly and progressively. So be sure to do some research before going cold turkey. Good luck with it.

In January my PCP prescribed a statin for me and I got a bottle with a 90-day supply. I have not yet convinced myself to take one and I probably won't.

Don Alaska likes this.
  3. Lulu Moppet

Lulu Moppet Veteran Member
    Registered

I take many medications, but unfortunately I need them. I cut my statin pills in half. I have naturally good cholesteral so after over a year it has made no difference in blood work results. I am on blood thinners, but bad things have happened when I wasn't, so I stick with them.

4. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

@Ron Beforee I don't think I would stop all meds at once. As has been said above, bad things can happen and all meds are not equal. You may have read my opinions on stains previously, and stopping them will not cause immediate damage. They are supposedly for long-term wellness, so they can be reduced like @Lulu Moppet has done without harm. If possible, and if you are concerned about cholesterol or triglycerides, have your lipids checked a few months after reduction of the statin dosage and see what, if anything, happens. If you are on blood thinners, you should be very cautious. Unlike statins, there is strong evidence of a correlation between "blood thinners" (they come in many guises) and short-term mortality. In short, long-term "wellness" drugs, like cholesterol reduction or even blood pressure meds can be reduced without harm, especially if you monitor results such as taking your own blood pressure daily. If your BP spikes or rises significantly, by all means start taking the BP meds again. Strokes and kidney damage are not things to play with.

5. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

have made changes in my meds a few times. It was necessary and told my doctor and he agreed with me.
    I have been taking my meds five years, and I am healthy enough that I only see heart doctor and lung doctor once a year. Very blessed with that, so i continue to take them. I do not know that any of my meds have caused me any additional problems. I do take a baby aspirin and Lipitor at doctors insistence. I have major blockage in different parts of body so that is why they insist I take certain things.
    if it isn't broke- don't try to fix it. ;)

Attached Files:

Don Alaska likes this.