Members Who Keep Their Ages Confidential

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Hal Pollner, Sep 20, 2018.

1. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

I've noticed that very few Members of this Forum care to post their ages, feeling that it's personal and nobody's business.

I can agree with them and respect them, even though I take the opposite viewpoint!

Whenever I'm in a public place among regular people, I always try to find an excuse to tell my age!

I do not do this in an abrupt announcement, but rather, I work around it until the subject is casually stated in conversation by the person I've met in the Supermarket, the Target store, or the Home Depot.

If I'm in a Restaurant and a Birthday celebration is underway at a neighboring table, I'll come over and offer my congratulations, but never failing to let them know how old I am!

Cheers,
    Hal, age LXXXII

Lois Winters and Frank Sanoica like this.
  2. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Hal Pollner
    I greatly envy you for having reached such a feisty age! And being proud of it! I feel the same way, and see folks snickering behind my back, suggestive of questioning the alacrity of such an old fart's views.
    Frank

3. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

I've noticed that it's basically two age groups who readily reveal their age: teens / twens as one group and retirees, especially if they are over 70, as another one. For young people, age is important information when it comes to finding a partner. Being three or five years older or younger can make a tremendous difference to them in terms of outlook, world view, experience, etc. So they tend to offer that information quite quickly.
    For midlifers, age doesn't seem to be that crucial because an age difference of a few years is hardly noticeable as far as skills, appearance, experience and outlook are concerned.
    The other interesting phase is when you are above 70 and are still mentally and physically fit. That can make a difference and that's why some people at that age proudly state how old they are. Perhaps with the exception of women if we were to agree with Oscar Wilde who said: 'One should never trust a woman who tells one her real age. A woman who would tell one that would tell one anything.' ;)

4. Beatrice Taylor

Beatrice Taylor Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm 64!

IMO getting old is not much of an achievement it just happens to some of us like getting fat or going bald.

I agree with Thomas about the importance of age to young folks who are excited about being 9 and a half, how many old folks go around announcing that they are 90 and a half.

5. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

But they do Beatrice... when asked, they'll say..I'm gonna be 91 ( and that's usually right after they've turned 90 )...

6. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I’ll soon be 69 and there isn’t a week that goes by that someone doesn’t ask about my age.
    My genetic makeup plus a heckova lot of research and hard work has allowed my bodybuilding journey a higher amount of fruition in a shorter period of time.
    It’s natural that some folks at the gym to ask but I have been stopped by people at places like Walmart, Harbor Freight, the hospital and the doctor’s office and all asking how old I am.
    In a way, it’s kind of a pain because the question doesn’t always stop with revealing my age but a mandatory class on how to do it.

Now as to the question of who and why some folks hide their age? Dunno....I’m not one of them but I do absolutely like @Thomas Stearn‘s answer.

7. Holly Saunders

Registered

I never hide my age, if people ask I always tell. I think because in my younger days I was always mistaken for much younger and it used to annoy the heck out of me..not being admitted into nightclubs and bars etc ( pre ID days).. so I just got in the habit of telling people how old I really was... maybe it's time to stop :D

8. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

I was lurking and came across this thread..
    Age is basically how you feel when you reach the golden years..
    Sometimes I feel about 135 years old while other times I am still very young..
    In actuality, I am 78 years young, and pushing 80 is what I mostly say when asked..
    When the kids ask how old I am, I answer...... old enough to know better....

9. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm 67 and have never cared how old or young somebody is.

Terry Page and Bobby Cole like this.
  10. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Yeah, we all have those Jupiter and Mercury days.
    To round things off, I’d be a crotchety 270 on Mercury whereas I’d be around 2 to 3 years old on Jupiter.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  11. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I am not sure, but I think that what Hal was referring to was showing our age on our forum profile. When you click on a person’s name, there are several things that can happen, one of which is that the person has made their whole profile here inaccessible, and you just get an error message when you try to look.
    Another option is that you can see the profile, but they have asked not to show their age, and the next one would be that the profile does show the age , but doesn’t say anything in the area for information.
    The final one would be that someone has not only allowed their age to show, but has also filled out some profile information, so that others on the forum can tell where they are from, and maybe what their hobbies are.
    I really like it when I find filled-out profile information, and wish that every one would do that.

Terry Page and Holly Saunders like this.
  12. Holly Saunders

Registered

I have no intention of putting either my age or Date of Birth on my profile ... if I did that I couldn't stay 50 forever now could I ? :eek::D

13. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

When I post my Profile on various Forums, (would the plural be "fora"?), I always tend to overdo it, and find it difficult to limit my profile to a manageable few sentences, not paragraphs, as I usually do!

But this is the kinds of Thread I like to write...one that gets numerous and prompt responses!

Thanks, Boys and Girls! (Golden Retrievers, anyone?)
    Hal
    013.JPG

14. Holly Saunders

Registered

Yep I'll have all of those Golden retrievers Hal... thank ye kindly... :D

15. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I still have to count on my fingers sometimes.