Millenium Wheel / London Eye

Discussion in 'Travel & Vacation' started by Reen Davis, Jan 14, 2023.

1. Reen Davis

Reen Davis Well-Known Member
    Registered

In response to @Dwight Ward's question in another topic, I found the following info :)

The massive wheel in London known as the ''The London Eye' was formerly known as
    the Millenium Wheel. It is a 'Cantilevered Observation Wheel' with 32 sealed and air conditioned
    'capsules' that the public can ride to the very top, where they can see out over London.
    Each capsule can hold 25 people who are able to 'move around' and seating is also provided.

It was formerly opened by Tony Blair on 31st December 1999, but not opened to the public
    until 9th March 2000 due to a capsule clutch issue.
    It is the UK's most popular paid tourist attraction and draws 3 million visitors annually.!

It was originally intended only as a temporary attraction with a 5 year lease, but in December 2001
    operators applied to Lambeth council for it to have 'permanent status' and this was granted.

One 'rotation' of the 'Eye' takes around 30 minutes and prices depend on how / when you buy.
    From what I can gather - there are 'standard' - 'on the day' and 'fast track' tickets with prices
    ranging from 'around' £30-£42 Adults and 'around' £27 for children. I am not 100% certain on
    these prices as I've seen various ones but I think I got it as close as I can.

Hope this answers your question Dwight :)

Don Alaska and Shirley Martin like this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

3. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

It answers my question about the 'Eye', yes, thanks, Reen. I look more favorably on the wheel now and it sounds like it would be a fun thing to do. Pounds to dollars - about 1 to 1 these days? So the tickets are a little pricey but I'd pay it.

Don Alaska and Shirley Martin like this.
  4. Reen Davis

Reen Davis Well-Known Member
    Registered

@Ken Anderson - Thank you Ken for adding that great photo :) - I haven't tried doing that yet but in any case
    finding good photos of any kind that can safely be used (copyright free) can take a while. I usually find
    that the 'good' ones can't be used.

@Dwight Ward - I've never actually seen it, too far away for me to travel. If you ever do get to visit London and
    go on the 'eye' - would be great to hear your feedback on the experience. :)

As for the 'Egg' you mentioned in your other post - believe it or not - I've never heard of it o_O
    I will have to look that up and give my opinion of it - it doesn't sound as good as the Eye.

5. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

Reen (love that name), any photo you can get into an image editing program can be saved to other formats, colors reduced and so on. This might bypass any copyright issues. Lately I've been converting pics I'm going to upload into .gif format - smaller file size and color depth without noticeable image quality reduction.

Generally, anyone who puts an image on the web knows it will be copied and used by others. I've never run into the copyright issues you mention. Can you send me an example link to an image you can't copy because of those reasons? I'll steal it for you.:p