Modern Television Commercials

Discussion in 'Movies & Entertainment' started by Diane Lane, Apr 10, 2015.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

Have you noticed a change in style and content of TV commercials? I find myself more bothered by ads these days than ever before. I can see that the ads are geared toward younger audiences, which is o.k., but I think the reason I (and also my friends and family) am bothered by them is they not only seem disrespectful toward middle-aged/elderly people, but also they seem to be very manipulative.

2. Lydia Williams

Lydia Williams Veteran Member
    Registered

I haven't noticed the disrespect towards older generations in my adverts, maybe it's because I live in a different country to you, but they do seem more...nonsensical than they used to be. They show a load of random things that are in no way relevant to the product? I don't get it... They're even more annoying than they used to be.

Diane Lane likes this.
  3. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

I have found the commericals to be disrepectful in the amount of sex and body exposed during the commerical. I feel that a product can be sold without all of the hints of sex. Violence is also seen more in the commericals than I care for. The commericals are also way to long it seems that we look at more commerical than show. On the BBC channel they have the commericals on for 15 minutes all at once then the show is on with no other commericals. I like that attitude.

Diane Lane likes this.
  4. Diane Lane

Registered

It could be that people in your country show more respect to the elderly. I've noticed there seems to be a disconnect here in the U.S., between youth and seniors, unless they have been around older persons, and have been taught to be respectful. I think it's a continuation of the promotion of outward physical beauty, versus what's inside, and many middle-aged dressing and acting younger, trying to hold onto their youth.

Yes, I've definitely noticed what you mentioned also, with the random things, and it is very irritating.

5. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

Well, you have to understand something here in the United States advertisers and the entertainment industry in general follow someting called the key demographic. This is usually aim at ages 18 to 49 because there are those who believe in advertising that this is the desired ages to aim for because they are the ones who are more easily swayed to change brands or try something new. Now whether this is true or not, this demographic has been around for years, and has effected not only commercials the quality of TV as well.

Diane Lane likes this.
  6. Diane Lane

Registered

Speaking of commercials, here's one that I think is very effective at showing what the product can do, but I find it irritating. http://www.ispot.tv/ad/71ot/at-and-t-digital-life-cabin I wouldn't be a fan of Big Brother in my house anyway, but what I find irritating is that the behavior shown in the commercial is prevalent in society, especially among a certain age group. I find it interesting that many of the same people who profess to care about the environment, and berate others for not recycling, or not overtly supporting environmental causes, are often the ones who waste water and electricity.

7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Al Gore, for one.

Diane Lane likes this.
  8. Mal Campbell

Mal Campbell Supreme Member
    Registered

Wow, that would be nice here in the States. Most shows aren't too bad, but we were watching something last night, and I swear, they had a commercial break every 5-7 minutes. It was so annoying. We had the show recorded on our DVR, but still had to fast forward through the ads. Very annoying.

I have to say I've gotten so spoiled with netflix - no commercials at all. It's funny because some shows have these definite points where the commercials would have gone when they were on TV, but no ad, the show just continues. Yea!!

Diane Lane likes this.
  9. Mal Campbell

Mal Campbell Supreme Member
    Registered

Ads don't really offend me - I haven't found them to be disrespectful to older people in particular, just disrespecfult in general. I don't like the inherent sexual innuendo in some, and the scantily dressed women in others. I also find the "male problem" (ED) ads insulting - with this sultry, sexy, beautiful woman talking about how she wants her man to be able to satisfy her. Every time that type of ad comes on, I want to hit my husband - and he's not like that at all. It just makes me want to throttle whatever male ad guy thought this ad is appropriate for prime time. Maybe at 3:00 am, but not when I'm watching "Once Upon a Time" or "Switched at Birth".

Other than that, I've found that the new style of ad has the entire commercial with something random, then in the last 3-4 seconds, they tell you the company it's for. What a waste of advertising money. It might be an interesting ad, but if you don't know what's being advertised ....

Diane Lane likes this.
  10. Diane Lane

Registered

Hahaha, I was referring to the younger generations, as portrayed in the ad, but yes, you definitely hit that nail on the head. I know we're all hypocrites about some things, but I'm glad my hypocrisy isn't on display for the entire world to see.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  11. Diane Lane

Registered

Yes, I often have no idea what the point of the commercial is. Sometimes I actually find the ad interesting or amusing, but don't know what the product is, and I don't understand why companies think that would be helpful in selling their products.

12. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I rarely watch network television since we only do streaming at home, but we're at a hotel in Arlington, Virginia now, and I have noticed that nearly every ad that comes on is for a pharmaceutical, either prescription or over-the-counter. There are a whole lot of ads, but rarely for anything else.