Mosquitoes

Discussion in 'Pets & Critters' started by Ed Wilson, Sep 16, 2021.

1. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

Summer is hanging on here with above normal temperatures and lots of rain. We had 1.5 in. yesterday and overnight and almost 6 in. several days before that. That's good weather for breeding mosquitoes. I tried sitting outside this evening and got bit once so I sat in the garage and they followed me in and got bitten once more. I'm hoping for some cool fall weather arrives soon. Heat and humidity is OK after a long hard winter, but cool and dry weather is welcome after summer heat and humidity. I'm actually looking forward to cold even.

2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

One trick is to get out a fan, point it at your seating area and put it on the lowest speed it's got so that it does not annoy the humans. You don't even need to feel the breeze in order for it to be sufficient to disrupt the mosquitos' ability to fly.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
  3. Sarah Hudson

Sarah Hudson Active Member
    Registered

I agree with John. I prefer "portable" fans and have the Ryobi fans from Home Depot, they run on the same batteries as my husband's Ryobi tools.

Faye Fox likes this.
  4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Hey, Sarah. Welcome to the forum!!!

First, congratulations on an awesome start by agreeing with me ;) Such a great first post.

Second, if you wish, you might introduce yourself by creating an Intro thread here. Folks will say "Hi" back and we can begin to get to know each other.

Sarah Hudson likes this.
  5. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

One nice thing about the drought we are having NO MOSQUITOS JUST FLIES

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  6. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

Our skeeters weren't bad this summer, but lately they seem to be increasing. Of course, we're talking FLORIDA mosquitos, which have been known to carry off small dogs and children....LOL.

7. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

They have been really bad here this year, but we have had a lot of rain, so they had lots of little puddles to raise their mosquito families in. The ones we have here are really tiny little things, so you often don’t even see them until they have attached somewhere and you feel the mosquito itch.
    Bobby has some of those mosquito coils and he also uses a fan and blows the smoke from the coil around on the front porch, which helps somewhat.
    I guess that might be one of the few things that I appreciate about colder weather is less bugs around.

John Brunner likes this.
  8. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

The best mosquito repellent I have found is a Thermacell device. It clears an area about 15 feet in diameter, so if you are stationary it works spectacularly well. I first used one on a canoe trip down the Upper Yukon River in Canada. We had a group, and everyone wanted to eat with us as we had the only mosquito-free area in camp. Mosquito Magnets work well also, but they are expensive things that require use over several seasons to clear mosquitoes well. I have dealt with mosquitos in many areas of the world, and the mosquitoes we have in the spring here are the largest I have ever seen. They are the ones that overwinter. The pests get smaller later in the year, are more numerous, and are much quicker.

John Brunner and Faye Fox like this.
  9. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

The largest mosquitos I have ever seen were in Alaska in June.

Don Alaska and Ed Wilson like this.
  10. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

The largest I've seen were in Greenland about the same time of year.

Don Alaska and Faye Fox like this.