Mothers Of Military Troop's Stories

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Marie Mallery, Aug 31, 2022.

1. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

We were talking about my sons Navy experiance this morning so thought I'd put up this thread.
    I remember the first conversation I had with my son when he said he was joining the service.
    " You can't do this to me,your mt only son and those _*(&)&^% are due for another war soon." Which he said," I'm not asking for your permission just your blessing" I hung on him after telling he wasn't getting my blessing' I visited too many vets in VA after Nam war. One especially hurt me who had no arms, legs, just a body strapped in that chair with a very sad look in his eyes a look I'll never forget. Plenty of really `injured young men in that ward alone, plus I was taking friends back and forth to VA for the terrible meds they had them on, one which killed himself after 2 tours which both he got shot.
    Now my son was to join for a college education.:eek:

Lots of stories about his time in the Navy, he received all kinds of awards, had a giant picture of him hanging over the captain's quarters for ' Sailor of the Year'. Almost went into Navy Hall of Fame lacking one medal.
    My calling the Fleet Commander who jumped all over the ships captain who of course jumped all over my son. How in the hell did your mother get a hold of the Fleet commander I can't even talk to him. I told the commander they better not give my son that Amtrax shot because he had skin rashes from exzema.:D Commander just decided to take his own call that morning I GUESS,:cool:

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

My step-mother really cared less about me joining the Navy. My step-dad, basically, felt the same way. There was no money for me to go to college, so the "college deferment" was out. As far as going to Canada, I didn't even know where Canada was. But, one thing I did know, if I wouldn't have joined the Navy, the Army Draft was going to be right there to take me. I actually got my Draft Notice when I was in Basic Training (NTC) in Great Lakes, Illinois.

I didn't see any real combat, but, most likely, sure would've if the Draft had gotten me.

I have: National Service Defense Ribbon/Medal, Vietnam Campaign Ribbon/Medal, Vietnam Service Ribbon/Medal (2 bronze stars) and a Commendation Ribbon/Medal that everyone on my first ship got. As well as my Honorable Discharge Pin. All in a display case sitting next to my NTC Graduation picture.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  3. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

My cousin joined the Navy too for the same reason which I don't blame him. It was a trying time for all. I joined this site below to send packages to them up till about 5 years ago. Son joined in 1998 one year before he was too old to join to get college 3education also.

Anysoldier.com