Movie & Television Series Reviews

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Ken Anderson, Oct 10, 2021.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

If you have watched a movie or are watching television series that you really like, really hate, or just have something to say about it, please feel free to review it in this section. If you don't anticipate anyone else replying to your review, which might happen if you don't have much to say about it yourself, you can simply post your comments as a reply to this thread.

But if you would like your review to prompt replies and other comments, you should also feel free to start a new thread about the movie or TV series. Don't feel as if you should only review new movies or currently running series, however. Most of us stream movies and television stuff through Roku, Hulu, YouTube, or one or more of several other streaming channels, so we're not necessarily watching the new stuff. For example, I have reviewed Lassie and Maverick.

2. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

We like mostly bio's and true stories ,comedy's and some movies like ShawShank Redemption we really enjoyed and it was fiction of course.

Watched 'Something The Lord Made' about blue babies and it was a really good movie a true story.
    Life Stinks, a comedy about a rich man [ Mel Brooks] who joined the homeless,it was funny and good.

3. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

One of my favorite movied,about a bull surving the west, all great actors,

4. Jessica Morgan

Jessica Morgan Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

One of my fave films is Narrow Margin with Gene Hackman and Anne Archer. I love how they have to hide on the moving train by switching cabins, kept me in suspense and loved everything about it.

Another great film I love is Mask with Cher and Eric Stoltz, it's a true story reflecting on the life of Rocky Dennis, he has a disfigured face, I love his personality and good nature.

Marie Mallery and John Brunner like this.
  5. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I pretty much like anything with Gene Hackman in it.

Jessica Morgan likes this.
  6. Ralf Mannheim

Ralf Mannheim Well-Known Member
    Registered

For newer shows, I think some might like Cobra Kai, especially the first season or so. For older Star Trek fans, I don't think you'll like Discovery and Picard due to major changes in the backstory and incredibly odd characterization, like a propensity for drinking, drug use, and profanity. Previous shows emphasized the barbarism of human beings from earlier centuries.

7. Jessica Morgan

Registered

I've only ever seen him in Narrow Margin. Could you recommend another film of his and I'll try to get a copy.

8. Jessica Morgan

Registered

Is Cobra Kai a spin off from The Karate Kid films?

Marie Mallery likes this.
  9. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I guess all films have the flavor/culture of the nation-of-origin (for example, "Hoosiers" is a film about basketball in the mid-west), so I'll list a couple I think are good films where Hackman shines and not worry about how the story line may or may not resonate.

The French Connection (1971) is a classic. Based on the real-life story of two narcotics detectives pursing a French heroin smuggler. Music by Don Ellis (he played a 4 valve trumpet) is a bonus. Hackman won Best Actor Academy Award for it.

Mississippi Burning (1988) is a fictional story about the FBI taking on the Klan. Hackman was great in it, as was Willem Defoe.

It's interesting that as I look through his filmography picking out my favorites (and finding lots that I've never seen), the two on the top of my list are where Hackman is the most intense.

10. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

Screen Shot 2022-06-04 at 12.07.50 PM.png

11. Jessica Morgan

Registered

Thanks, I'll have a look around our local charity shops and see what I can find (•‿•)

12. Jessica Morgan

Registered

I've heard of Mississippi Burning, I'm sure my dad has it on dvd. I like films from the 70s, 80s and 90s, I don't tend to go the cinemas anymore to watch the latest releases, the new Top Gun film is on at the cinemas soon but I much prefer the original.

John Brunner likes this.
  13. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes
    Cobra Kai is version where the main karate kids are grown ups. Original stars play themselves.

14. Ralf Mannheim

Ralf Mannheim Well-Known Member
    Registered

Yes, and the changes are bewildering, with both Johnny and Daniel now seen as both heroes and villains, and multiple plot twists and surprising returns of other characters from the movies.

Trailer for the first season:

15. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

Time Traveler's Wife
    The new HBO series about Henry who has a genetic disorder that causes him to travel back or ahead in time. I enjoy Syfy and stories about time travel. I watched 3 episodes and decided that was enough I found it boring with a weak if any plot at all. Maybe it's my age I also found it confusing did not enjoy it, I give it a thumbs down.

Marie Mallery and Beth Gallagher like this.