Movies You Can Watch Repeatedly

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Ken Anderson, Mar 5, 2017.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

There are a lot of good movies that I can watch once, enjoy, but have no interest in watching again. There are others that are okay, but so unremarkable that I can watch most of the same movie again twenty years later before I remember that I had already seen it. Then there are those that I have seen so many times that I can practically recite the lines, but still enjoy watching again.

Since I'm watching it again now, I'll mention Stand by Me as being one of them. Produced in 1986, it stars Wil Wheaton, River Phoenix, Corey Feldman, and Jerry O'Connell, when they were kids, while Kiefer Sutherland plays a lesser part, as the chief antagonist.

Although not his first movie, it's the first movie Wil Wheaton had done that most people are likely to remember. It was Jerry O'Connell's first movie. Corey Feldman had already done a slew of movies, including Bad News Bears and The Goonies. It was one of Kiefer Sutherland's first movies. Richard Dreyfuss introduces the show and ends it, playing the part of Wil Wheaton's character, now grown up.

If you haven't seen it, the plot has to do with four twelve year-old kids, the summer after elementary school, who are walking to see the dead body of a boy who had been hit by a train. That might sound kind of ugly, but the movie is really about the end of childhood, and the body is the excuse for the trip there.

It's a great movie, and one that demonstrates Stephen King's ability to remember what it was like to be twelve. The sound track is good, too. Probably, it mostly appeals to someone who was once a 12 year-old boy, though.

Another is Kramer versus Kramer, a 1979 movie with Dustin Hoffman and Meryl Streep, about a custody fight. Having gone through something similar, that too, probably has special meaning for me. Perhaps that's what it takes for a move to be worth watching over and over.

There are television series like that, too. Ones that I know I'll watch repeatedly, I am willing buy on DVD. I have seen every episode of Little House on the Prairie and the movies based on the same book series several times. This is true of the early seasons of The Waltons too, but I did lose interest in that one after the kids grew up, and the original characters began leaving the show or dying. Maverick is another.

There are more, but I'd hate to use them all up in one post.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  2. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Kramer vs Kramer was a really good movie Ken. And I am a big fan of Little House on the Prairie and The Waltons too. I even agree with you that I liked the Waltons shows much better as they were all growing up in the same house and not as much when they had homes and families of their own...I think that is because I just didn't like to see them go off and start living separate lives.

Since I'm a big romantic these are some of the movies I could and do watch over and over again. Gone With The Wind, Pearl Harbor, Titantic, Dances With Wolves, StepMom, Ghost, The Patriot, and for some reason Dante's Peak and Pretty Woman.

In fact the movies I keep in my movie Library (a separate bookshelf) are all movies that I won't let go of whether they are on VCR or DVD....because I do watch them over and over again. Sometimes I have a movie marathon day and just watch as many of my favorite movies as I can.

As long as a movie can still make me feel the emotions, etc. that is a movie I can watch repeatedly. I'm sure I will think of many more but these come to mind right away. :)

Ken Anderson likes this.
  3. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

My husband will watch repeats of John Wayne and Clint Eastwood westerns all day long, if I'm not sitting next to him. I once though about buying those DVD collection sets but he wouldn't bother with them and it would be a waste of money. I think when cable/satellite viewing and the infamous remote came along those were his ticket down memory lane.:cool:

On the other side, I'm not much for watching the older TV shows as reruns or adding any to my library but I won't rule them out completely. I just watched the remake of Lost in Space and I think I'll try and find that.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

My late husband could watch those over and over also, I don't like westerns but at least Clint Eastwood ones were a little different.

I'm not a fan of watching anything more than once, not to say I haven't but it's not something I do on purpose.

Missy Lee likes this.
  5. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

I also will watch 'Stand by Me' when it airs.
    One of the better Stephen King movies along with 'Shawshank Redemption'.

My list is very long of movies I will watch over and over.
    Most are black and white ones from the 'Golden Age' of Hollywood.

But I have to admit, everytime I watch 'Stand By Me' now, I think
    of the Sheldon vs Wil Wheaton feud...

6. Doc James

Doc James Veteran Member
    Registered

I would have to say I could definitely watch the movie Life is beautiful over and over again. It is a foreign film about what Jews have gone through in concentration camps and how a father would do anything to keep his child safe.

Aniri Ciocan likes this.
  7. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

The Body Guard, Erin Brockovich, and You've Got Mail are also movies that I do watch repeatedly.

Aniri Ciocan likes this.
  8. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I don't think I've seen that one. I'll have to look it up.

Doc James likes this.
  9. Doc James

Doc James Veteran Member
    Registered

Anothwr movie that kept me hooked is "Something the Lord Made". as a medi al practitioner, it will always be an influential film for me. It keeps reminding me why I became a doctor in the first place. I hope you all will have a chance to watch it.

Ken Anderson and Babs Hunt like this.
  10. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Last Saturday, we watched, again, Two Mules For Sister Sara. It's hilarious when Clint Eastwood sees all the different things that Shirley MacLaine does that a nun typically would not do. And, when he finds out that she is a prostitute (better word than what was in the movie) and not a nun, his reaction.

Other movies we watch numerous times: Weekend At Bernie's, Get Smart, Last Stand, Blended, Dave, Grownups and others.

11. Augusta Heathbourne

Augusta Heathbourne Veteran Member
    Registered

I rarely watch a film more than once, but O Brother Where Art Thou calls to me once every few years and never ceases to give me great pleasure. Gone With the Wind is a favorite that I have watched repeatedly throughout my life. In Brugge was amazing and I still want to see it again, having already seen it two or three times already. I loved The Piano, as one of the weirder movies to come out of New Zealand. I have lost count of the number of times I have watched Crocodile Dundee! Paul Hogan was priceless in that, and I always enjoy revisiting it. Bergman's The Seventh Seal used to be my all-time favorite but the last time I saw it I figured it could be for the last time, not sure why. Ghost and Sister Act always make me laugh.

12. Missy Lee

Missy Lee Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm not a big tv fan to begin with so watching a movie more than once is not something I would do. The only exception might be Gone With The Wind or something with Bette Davis.

Maryt Hope and Chrissy Cross like this.
  13. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Aah yes - Bette Davis, seen her movies many times :)
    @Missy Lee

14. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

This is another older movie; but one that I seem to enjoy watching even though I know the whole movie. I think that this was the first movie that I had seen Jeff bridges in, and he became one of my favorite actors after watching this movie, "Starman". He was just so perfect for the part that he played.
    I imagine that everyone has probably seen this movie, but if not, it is a good one to watch, and if you have seen it, then maybe it is a good one to watch again.

Babs Hunt and Maryt Hope like this.
  15. Gary Ridenour

Gary Ridenour Veteran Member
    Registered

most of my John Wayne collection and some war movies ive collected over the year. MASH which is back on