My Favorite, Black Squirrels !

Discussion in 'Pets & Critters' started by Mary Stetler, Apr 26, 2023.

1. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

When I lived in NY as a kid, my favorite wild critters were black squirrels. They were beautiful and about 50% of the squirrel population--the rest were grey.
    A friend who lives in Oshkosh, WI said they had them there. But I never saw one around here until today. Even my challenged daughter was thrilled to see it. There are a few mutations but not pure black, here. Until today.
    Kinda like a furry tailed mink.
    Natural GMO.:rolleyes:

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I had never even heard of a black squirrel, so I had to look it up and find pictures, @Mary Stetler . They are definitely both unique and beautiful !
    When I lived in north Idaho, we only found squirrels deep into the forests; not like here in Alabama where they live on your doorstep and beg for treats.
    When we went fishing and camping back when I was growing up, we often saw chipmunks, and they were fairly friendly and would come up for bits of bread, but I do not remember seeing squirrels then either.

Here is a picture I found online of a black squirrel. In case other people have never seen one either, and the chipmunk picture is one my son took of the chipmunks on his back deck.

IMG_5060.jpeg IMG_2747.jpeg

Krystal Shay and Faye Fox like this.
  3. Mary Stetler

Registered

Thank you!
    I think chipmunks are very cute. But I still don't like them ever since they started filling my riding boots with seeds from feed bags.:mad:
    We have many varieties of squirrels here.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

When I was on the NIH campus in Bethesda, MD, I would always see lots of them. They seemed to far outnumber the grey squirrels in that area. I have no idea if they’re common throughout Bethesda or if it’s just the NIH main campus area.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  5. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

Never saw a black squirrel here but I have seen a cross between red squirrels and grey.

6. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

The Kent State University campus is famous for those black squirrels. There is even a black squirrel day celebration every year.

"Black squirrels were brought to Kent State University from Ontario, Canada, in 1961 by Larry Wooddell, who was the grounds superintendent, and “Biff” Staples, a retired Davey Tree employee. They called the mission “Operation Black Squirrel”."

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. Mary Stetler

Registered

Uh oh. I didn't realize they were an invasive species.:rolleyes: