My Garden

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Kate Ellery, Apr 7, 2022.

1. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

I thought I’d share a photo of one of my very expensive plants …now I’m bragging:):D

I bought this a year ago for $300 ..on leaf on a stick that looked dead ….

Now if I was to put this on eBay I’d have no trouble getting $2.000 + for it
    It’s called Monstera Albo ….or Swiss cheese plant…it’s common to find a green one like this
    However it’s nature that makes ….very few of there’s turn variegated so the only way you can get this plant is by buying a cutting
    9C7C65E9-BC81-466C-95F8-02D421490B12.jpeg

2. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

It is a nice looking plant but costly.

3. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Still, it might be a good investment. When it gets larger, one little snippet of it will sell for $$$$$$$$$. :eek:

Mary Stetler and Kate Ellery like this.
  4. Kate Ellery

Registered

That’s what allot do with rare plants ..wait till it grows ..then get their initial investment cost back ++++

This is my other variegated monstera .,sorta the same plant …However the difference being this ONE is breed to be variegated ( so it’s a cheaper plant)

The one I posted up here ^^ which is a freak of nature it turns out variegated…. ( not breed) And it can decide to turn green by only producing only green foliage ..making it worthless so it’s the risk buyers take by paying big money for them.

Opps forget photo of Thai consultation plant …will post soon have to edit

Last edited: Apr 7, 2022
    John Brunner and Marie Mallery like this.
  5. Kate Ellery

Registered

Yes I say it depends on your interests and of course….. I’ve always had gardening in my blood so to speak
    I’ve been interested in more “ unusual”/ rare plants most of my life in doing so collected allot of rare begonias over the years which I’ve downsized on now days , I still have about 30+ just nice amount.

I’ll take a few photos latter so I can keep them all together and don’t have to go hunting for where I posted them
    @Marie Mallery

Don Alaska likes this.
  6. Kate Ellery

Registered

My Thai Consolation variegated monstera …this is a cheaper plant to buy ..however I’d expect to get about
    $800- $900 if i was to sell it DA8C9A4D-921B-4DD6-8D96-B6850F82E07E.jpeg

It’s waiting to go into a new pot ….it’s not going anywhere so it will wait

7. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

I need to get back to the garden too. We just have a few veggie plants other than perennials in unkept flower beds.

8. Kate Ellery

Registered

Gardens take keeping up @Marie Mallery that’s why I choose mainly container gardening now days.

The raised garden bed is much easier on the back and legs ,and besides you have your days full caring for your fur
    kids which sounds like it’s the first time in their lives they have had someone to LOVE and take care of them.
    I hate to see any animals neglected / starved of food and attention

Last edited: Apr 9, 2022
  9. Kate Ellery

Registered

My eggplant should be just about finished as we go into cooler months of the year ..but they have heaps of flowers appearing.
    I usually only grow Silver Beet in winter ( like Spinach only larger leaves) but I’ve just planted what we call
    Swiss chard for a change, actually my silver beet didn’t shoot up to seed this summer cause we hardly had a summer think we had the air con on twice all summer

08DF5FFE-2A3D-4F4D-923F-C8A48DFB2709.jpeg

Yvonne Smith and Don Alaska like this.
  10. Kate Ellery

Registered

It’s stage how well the eggplant has preformed and yet I had endless trouble with the tomatoes which I eventually pulled out ..I was sick of spending money on tomato with no rewards.

I’ve got a winter variety tomato in now ( bounty ) ..they are a bit straggly but will pick up

Yvonne Smith likes this.