My Interesting Jobs & One I Really Liked

Discussion in 'Jobs I Have Had' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

My first job, after getting out of the Navy in Long Beach, CA, was taking on a job at Knott's Berry Farm in Buena Park, CA. I worked in the stables, taking care of the horses used on the stagecoach.........which included quite a bit of "poop" shoveling. The pay wasn't great, but made enough to eat on, had a room at the downtown YMCA Hotel and gas for an old 1962 Ford Falcon I had. Also dressed up in some Western attire and felt sort of important when I walked around the Park with my name badge on, looking like a cowboy.

After being with Knott's for some months, I left and got a job in a Regional Park as a Horseback Trail Guide. After a few months of that, I decided I wanted some "excitement" in my life. Well, my next jobs definitely gave me that "excitement" I wanted!

My intro into EMS. Ambulance Services weren't called that back then (mid 1970's), but I like the name. During training, I rode with two guys and took First Aid courses in a company-owned house by the beach. Went on a few Code-3/Emergency calls and that was definitely exciting. One of the fun parts of the job, was when we would be on "Standby" in the Unit by the Huntington Beach Pier on a Sunday afternoon. Girl's and bathing suits talking to us in our uniforms......quite cool! Don't remember why I left that job, but ended up getting hired by an even larger company. I was called an Ambulance Attendant, but had the knowledge of an EMT. Worked Los Angeles, Torrance, Compton, Watts and South Central. One thing I found out extremely fast, just how BUSY L.A. County General Hospital ER could be on Friday and Saturday nights! Seemed like all I ever heard the Dispatcher say is "this call is a Code-3 (Emergency)". Lights, sirens and off we went! After a year or so of working those areas, I decided to move into Orange County, quit the company and got hired by yet another Ambulance Service. For around 3 years I was in EMS, but got tired of the blood and not having the whole weekend off, so got an OJT working in Shipping/Receiving for a manufacturing company. Yes, back there were companies that did OJT (On The Job Training).

Now, finally, the very best job I ever had........Materials Coordinator (Purchasing and Inventory Management) for a healthcare company. After numerous years of working my butt off on a forklift, making pallets and stacking items on pallets, I finally got my BIG BREAK! Got my own office, phone, computer and Business Cards. Talking about "one happy dude"! I had worked with a Purchasing and Inventory Managers before and my computer skills were pretty darn good. No "hunt and peck" on the keyboard for this guy! Best salary ever and a great Materials Dept. Director/Supervisor to boot.

Boy, just thinking back to those old days of using a gas forklift, filling out a UPS Book, inventory on 3 x 5 cards and hand-writing a BOL...........no computer for me until 1989!

2. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I asked you in Conversation what your job was in the military and you never answered.

3. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Storekeeper. Today the rate is known as, and changed to, a Logistics Clerk. Of course, when I was in, there were no women onboard ships and no computers. Inventory was done with 3 x 5 cards, just like I used when I got out and was a civilian. Purchase Orders were typed out on an electric typewriter and turned into a local Base warehouse. Since, back then, I could type fairly good, type out purchase orders was easy for me. For the last three jobs I had, before Early Retirement, using a computer accounting software, that included purchasing and inventory programs, was very, very easy for me to do. The very first software I ever used, in a electronics stockroom, was Basic 4. After that, it was in-house program Platinum, then MAS 90 and finally Solomon.

Actually, I had a choice of rates right before I graduated out of Navy Basic Training in Great Lakes, IL.

4. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

Thanks for the reply.As a storekeeper there is no way of course to claim a service connected hearing loss for disability.

5. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Not sure about that. My GQ station was Pointer for the forward gun mount. Even with my ship's headphones/radio on, I could still hear the men below me loading ammo into the breach and could hear the gun being fired by the FT's (Fire Control Techs). But, no, no service-connected anything.

6. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Unless you are on the board reviewing military medical claims, you have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about.

How about sticking to your cat’s nails.

Cody Fousnaugh likes this.
  7. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

^^^^^ Personal attack? ^^^^^:eek: