My Recent Experience With Diabetes, Metformin And Youtube

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Thomas Windom, Dec 13, 2022.

1. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I was on another forum and a guy into fitness told me about this short YouTube video. I thought it was going to be some musclehead promoting his latest fad. Instead, he is discussing a recent scientific publication and what he recommended doing based on it. It’s simplicity itself so my wife and I both started doing it about 2+ months ago.

Below is my historical A1C graph showing the biggest drop in my A1C since they started monitoring it. I just wanted to share this video in case there are other diabetic or pre-diabetics that might benefit. I just can’t envision his recommendation causing any kind of harm so that’s why we gave it a try. Disclaimer, I am no doctor. Listen and evaluate for yourselves.

Attached Files:

2. Alan Sidlo

Alan Sidlo Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

very good advice and surprisingly simple solution(s.) thank you for sharing.

Marie Mallery and Thomas Windom like this.
  3. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

Hi, I had a friend with Type 2 and went thru the ups and downs with all her drugs including Metformin.... I didn't stick with the whole video so maybe they discussed Berberine, don't know.

Here is my recent story on taking Berberine when I found my glucose was too high for my liking. In the year I took Berberine I was able to drop 36 pts off glucose.

http://www.seniorsonly.club/threads/berberine-a-novel-approach-to-lowering-cholesterol.21077/

Personally I work to stay off the pharma drugs if at all possible.

Marie Mallery and Alan Sidlo like this.
  4. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

Since the Berberine did such a good job for me, I no longer take it, but switched to
    Blood Sugar Manager by Nature's Way, usually every other day..

Marie Mallery likes this.
  5. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

So, I just got back from my annual wellness visit to my doc. I told them about my experience with the above mentioned guy’s simple recommendation. They were impressed enough with my results in such a short period of time that they searched for the video while I was there to watch it at their leaisure. They told me to keep it up, curious to see if there is additional improvement next visit.

One of the nurses there thought it was significant that the walks were after meals, thinking that it might switch the body into more active metabolism of digesting foods rather than storage. Whatever, we’ll both keep it up. Too simple not to do so.

6. Alan Sidlo

Alan Sidlo Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

it used to amaze me how fit the octogenarians were who lived up in the hills. didn't take me long to follow their example and started walking on the regular. figured that they must be doin' something right.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2022
  7. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Surprising that medical professionals are not aware of the effect of exercise on glucose levels. About 20 years ago I had an annual physical that showed my A1C in the "pre-diabetic" level. I joined an active Diabetes forum and found a wealth of information from actual diabetics, many of whom were figuring out ways to handle their glucose levels without drugs. The 10-15 minute brisk walk after eating was a big topic back then, and I found it worked as verified by taking glucose readings with my meter.

After cutting all "white" foods from my diet (sugar, flour, rice, etc.) and upping my activity level I brought my A1C back into normal ranges where it has remained ever since. I have added most of the high carb foods back into my diet as well.

8. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I would mention the total safety and effectiveness of chlorophylls, leveling the numbers dramatically , but don't want the fda to ban it.

Marie Mallery and Alan Sidlo like this.
  9. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I do not have diabetes, and I do not want to get it; so I watched the video as kind of a preventative idea. My Apple Watch alerts me to walk each hour anyway, so I am starting to walk longer each hour when it alerts me. If I do 10 “laps” back and forth through the house, it takes me almost 10 minutes to do this, and it is really helping my step count for the day, without wearing me out like a longer walk would do.

We have a new doctor, and he is doing a complete lab panel for both Bobby and I , and it will include our A1c, so we will know how we are doing as far as being pre-diabetic. We do labs the end of this month, and see him early in January.
    My last doctor , when I asked her about including this in the labs, said since I didn’t have diabetes, she didn’t need to do that test. If they do not do the test, how do they even know I didn’t have diabetes ……… it made me mad !

10. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

With and I are both Diabetic II and take 1000mg Metformin AM/PM. I also take a 5mg Glipizide with my Metformin and my wife's doctor just added a "Glipizide" type medication (1mg) for her to take in the AM with her Metformin. My VA doctor likes my blood glucose readings, by my wife's was just too high for her doctor's liking.

We can get plenty of exercise during summer months, but during winter, we have to rely on our Wii Game for exercise. And, sometimes, the Wii Game isn't even enough, but we sure aren't going to go outside and walk in 24 degree weather.

So, bottom line is..............we gotta do what we gotta do! IOW, medications. Medications for both Diabetes and high blood pressure.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  11. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The difference between us, @Cody Fousnaugh , is that you are perfectly happy to control your health issues with a medication “bandaid” rather than take proactive steps to actually change your health.
    Any person who can walk through their house can walk more steps if they want to. With my bad balance, walking outside is not safe for me; but in the house I am fine, and can sit and rest if I need to do that.

I have to take meds for my heart because of the heart failure, but I am also making exercise and diet changes to help heal my body as well , and not just take the meds, which are almost all bad for our liver and kidneys.
    Not suggesting how anyone else should live, just explaining how I decide what is right for me to do.

12. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Your absolutely right, Yvonne. There are things we just don't want to cut out of our diet and, during the Christmas season, we will buy some marshmallow/chocolate candy, but watch closely how much we eat at one time. We are now on our second batch of cookies we bought at store and baked in oven. We both like a good margarita once in awhile as well as a Bud Light on NFL Sunday. Sometimes I like a Bloody Mary (Vodka type) and wife will have a Gin & Tonic.

I just now told my wife "we need to play our Wii Game more" and we really do. Haven't played in quite a while and she is great at bowling. We aren't really the "exercising" type, but that old Wii Game can get us going.

Appreciate your reply to me here.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  13. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

For years after the A1c test was developed, both the ADA and the AMA discouraged using it as a screening test for diabetes. I have never known why. There are two other tests that represent glucose levels over shorted intervals--fructosamine and glycated albumin--and they are still not used much as far as I know. It seems they would be a good tool for monitoring folks who are already diagnosed. It seems that both an A1c and a vitamin D level would be good to include in every annual lab panel.

14. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

We both tested our BG this morning and my was 106, which my VA doctor would consider wonderful and my wife's was 137, which compared to her 168 was really nice. Don't know how long my "106" will hold out, but.

Bandage or no bandage, my Diabetic medicine is definitely working for me!

Marie Mallery and Don Alaska like this.
  15. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Don, if I recall correctly (and chances are excellent that I do not), my PCP told me that they use the A1C as a first screening. If those results are suspicious then they do the short-term testing (fasting plasma glucose) to see how the body reacts before a final "diabetes" diagnosis.