My Recent Online Purchases - What Were Yours?

Discussion in 'Shopping & Sales' started by Lon Tanner, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

We had to order a replacement weir for the pool. (The weir is the swinging flap located inside the skimmer mouth and will pivot with the flow of the water. Its main purpose is to prevent skimmed debris from escaping back into the pool.) It is a piece of thin flat plastic about the size of a piece of notebook paper and maybe 1/8" thick. The pool store priced it at $65. :eek:

Amazon to the rescue. Genuine Pentair replacement part, $25. Still a ripoff, but there you have it.

Mary Stetler and Yvonne Smith like this.
  2. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Waiting for a bra, some laundry sheets, their new, and wanted to try them .. household stuff, tissue, paper towels, and a few other mundane things.

3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Wife ordered some hair stuff from Ultra. We ordered a Backup Camera and Magnet for our Durango, that has it's own WiFi and is used with an App on our iPhone. It will make backing up to our boat a whole lot easier! From Amazon, ordered some FOL White T-Shirts for me. Since I've lost some 20 pounds, my 2X t-shirts are too big.

IOW, we love Amazon and have ordered a LOT from them!

Hedi Mitchell and Mary Stetler like this.
  4. Beth Gallagher

Registered

It's summertime again... fly season!! It seems like every time our back door is opened, a fly (or two) get inside the house. :mad: I really hate flies and feel that they are nasty little buggers. I imagine them flying to a fresh pile of dog poop and directly into my dinner plate, similar to the "Do you wash your hands?" thread. :D So I ordered one of these from Amazon...

upload_2023-5-23_10-55-58.png

It plugs in and looks like a nightlight. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09T3T1FYN?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

It works GREAT. I plugged it in yesterday and today I have about a dozen fruit flies stuck to the pad. So far no houseflies but I haven't seen any flying around. If you have a fly problem in your kitchen I highly recommend this gadget.

5. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That's interesting. Can you get replacement pads? I've used flypaper before...man, is it sticky.

And I agree about flies. Your poop-to-food concerns are not unfounded.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  6. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Yes, replacement pads are available. It comes with two, which should last a while unless a person is infested with flies. :D It's supposed to be installed away from other light sources which was a challenge in my kitchen.

I also saw some sticky stuff that applies directly to a window, but I don't think I want to look at a bunch of fly carcasses while I gaze into the backyard.

Mary Stetler and John Brunner like this.
  7. John Brunner

For being in the country, I really don't get flies. But for some reason, every spring a few wasps make their way into my house. My real seasonal issue is Asian ladybugs...but the Shop Vac takes care of those.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  8. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Here are the window things; I might order these and see how they work. Houseflies seem to go straight to my kitchen window. CLICKETY!!

John Brunner likes this.
  9. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Got the Backup Camera & Magnet in yesterday. Believe it or not, it was ordered from an RV & Trailer Store, but came from a city in China. The app, can be got on either Apple App Store of Google App Store, but I got it on the Google Store. After spending a couple of hours trying to figure out how to match the Backup Camera with the App, I finally done it. Their instructions were'n't that good, but I finally got the camera to match the iPhone App.

Bought a magnet to with the camera, so, hopefully, we won't have to install camera with screws, but don't know yet.

Also bought a Blink Outdoor Security Camera for our front door. We have received a couple of e-mails from complex manager about packages being delivered to wrong apartment and package/packages not being given to office by resident that got the delivery. So, with that, we decided to get the Blink Camera. We've only had one order, from Walmart, that we never got. We will use the camera on the door of our next apartment. We already have an indoor Blink Camera that, if set thru my iPhone Blink App, will either take a picture of video if someone comes thru the front door when we're not at home. We've set it, forgot to shut off when we got home, came in the door and it took a video of us coming in.

John Brunner likes this.
  10. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I'm still knee-deep in Aerogardens and hydroponics and have had problems finding Kratky jar tops for regular mouth mason jars. I decided to check Etsy and hit pay dirt. Found the Kratky covers and also these toppers for Aerogarden seed pods (the make-your-own type). They replace those annoying little paper stickers on top of the plastic pod...

upload_2023-5-27_13-6-22.png

They were $10.99 for a pack of 24.

Yvonne Smith and Mary Stetler like this.
  11. Beth Gallagher

Registered

OMG, if you have fruit flies this summer, you must get one of these things. This is after 4 days...:eek::eek:

upload_2023-5-27_14-2-20.png

12. John Brunner

Considering where I live, I have very few insect issues. Seasonal ants are the worse. Homemade borax poisons and traps do no good, so I just live with it.

13. John Brunner

So you'll put the backup camera on when you're backing up the boat, use your phone to see what you're doing, then take the camera off when you're done?

14. Beth Gallagher

Registered

We usually don't have insect problems, but summertime brings those annoying fruit flies that must ride in with my groceries, plus an occasional housefly which makes me crazy(er). I'm honestly shocked that the plug in trap thing has caught so many fruit flies...I hadn't even noticed them much at all.

15. Vada Bloom

Vada Bloom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Speaking of insects we always get a spring invasion of moths commonly called Millers. They are the army cutworm moth and they migrate to the mountains. They've been around for the last few weeks and the migration is almost finished now.

https://extension.colostate.edu/topic-areas/insects/miller-moths-5-597/

They are pesky things. No matter what you do they manage to get in the house and hang out high on a wall. At night they will circle a lamp or any light and they drive cats crazy. Our younger cat is convinced he can fly when he sees one and he's taken a couple of pretty good tumbles.

Not sure that this belongs in this thread but you all were talking about bugs so here it.is. :rolleyes: