My Russian Experiences

Discussion in 'Travel & Vacation' started by Terry Page, Oct 25, 2015.

1. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

5.JPG 10.JPG 4.JPG 7.jpg 6.JPG 2.JPG 9.JPG 8.jpg As I have spent almost half my life with my Russian partner in St.Petersburg Russia over the past 12 years, I thought I would post some photo's of my times there.
    The first ones are of Staraya Ladoga a small town in the north.

Staraya Ladoga (Russian: Ста́рая Ла́дога); Finnish: Vanha Laatokka or the Aldeigjuborg of Norse sagas, is a rural locality (a selo) in Volkhovsky District of Leningrad Oblast, Russia, located on the Volkhov River near Lake Ladoga, 8 kilometers (5.0 mi) north of the town of Volkhov, the administrative center of the district.

It used to be a prosperous trading outpost in the 8th and 9th centuries. A multi-ethnic settlement, it was dominated by Scandinavians who were called by the name of Rus'. For that reason, it is sometimes called the first capital of Russia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staraya_Ladoga

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Great Photos, Terry....keep them coming! I know you are a world traveler and have been to many exotic places.

3. Terry Page

Registered

4. Terry Page

Registered

A few winter photos of St.Petersburg

Picture1.jpg Picture2.jpg Picture3.jpg Picture4.jpg Picture6.JPG Picture8.jpg Picture9.jpg Picture10.jpg Picture11.jpg

5. Chrissy Cross

Registered

You are a lucky man Terry....from the UK ...most of Europe is doable for you! And also your exotic destinations are closer too...like Bali, etc.

Terry Page likes this.
  6. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

Great photos. Always had an interest in Russia. Thanks.

Terry Page likes this.
  7. Terry Page

Registered

Thanks Ike I was always fascinated by Russia as a child, but never imagined I would end up spending so much time there. I love the people and the way of life so unlike the stereotypical image we get in the West.

Yvonne Smith and Ike Willis like this.
  8. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

That makes me nostalgic for that wonderful and splendidly-named restaurant, The Idiot, in St Petersburg. I know it's not the restaurant in the photo, which looks a little like that other place of the odd name, Meathead. Unless there's a Dostoevsky novel of that name that I've missed out on...

I always enjoy looking at Orthodox churches, purely from an artistic point of view. The iconostases are invariably magnificent.

9. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Wish I would have gone when I had the chance the 6 years I lived in Hungary!

My husband went a few times on business but I stayed home (Budapest) then. :(

But who knows...I may still go one day...I have so many places on my Bucket List...starting with ones right here in the states. The North East in the fall for starters.

10. Terry Page

Registered

A few photos of the stunning Church of Our Saviour on Spilled Blood:

r2.JPG R1.JPG r3.JPG r4.JPG

The decision was taken to build a church on the spot where the Emperor was mortally wounded. The church was built between 1883 and 1907 and was officially called the Resurrection of Christ Church (a.k.a. The Church of Our Savior on Spilled Blood ). The construction of the church was almost entirely funded by the Imperial family and thousands of private donators. Both the interior and exterior of the church is decorated with incredibly detailed mosaics, designed and created by the most prominent Russian artists of the day (V.M. Vasnetsov, M.V. Nesterov and M.A. Vrubel). Interestingly, despite the church's very obviously Russian aspect, its principle architect, A. Parland, was not even Russian by birth.

The church was closed for services in the 1930s, when the Bolsheviks went on an offensive against religion and destroyed churches all over the country. It remained closed and under restoration for over 30 years and was finally re-opened in 1997 in all its dazzling former glory. The view of the church from Nevsky Prospekt is absolutely breathtaking.

NOTE: Translations of the church's name vary between guidebooks and include The Church of the Savior on Blood, The Resurrection Church and The Church of the Resurrection of Christ.

Location: Naberezhnaia Kanala Griboedova. Reopened in late August 1997 after almost 30 years of restoration.

11. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

Welcome @Terry Page, you must be related to Chrissy Page by different parents. I'm sure you have great memories. I would like to hear about some of the misconception that most of us grew up with.

Terry Page likes this.
  12. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Lol Ina..we are very good friends but not married, he has a lovely girlfriend In Russia!

Dont know why I chose that last name...when I joined here awhile back..we joined around the same time and he suggested it...its his fault!

We also have a Josiah Page on here....no relation. :)

Terry Page likes this.
  13. Terry Page

Registered

Yes Ina I own up it was my fault, I thought it would be fun to be seen as husband and wife, I never grew up really lol

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  14. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Thanks for all your wonderful photos, Terry! This one is my favorite.;)
    [​IMG]

Terry Page likes this.
  15. Terry Page

Registered

I grew up in the UK with the ideas around Russians being hard drinkers, never laughing and being generally unfriendly. Yes some do drink but they are very fun loving people and kind and helpful, they don't smile at strangers as they feel that would not be genuine, but do when they know you. They are basically the same as us all, which is what I keep finding as I travel, we all just want to get on with or lives and enjoy
    Thanks Joe I like that one and several others of the same scene, it has a monochrome quality and I can feel the cold I experienced that day looking at the photo now.

Joe Riley likes this.