My Thoughts On Supplements

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Lon Tanner, Dec 24, 2020.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

Much is said and written about the Greedy Big Pharma and the people that promote their products and most of it ain't good. How about the Goody Two Shoes Supplement companies and their brain washed minions ?
    Granted--most supplements will not hurt you, but it's questionable if they will truly help you. I have symptoms from several medical conditions that are irritating, uncomfortable and cannot be cured, but no real pain as of yet. I have tried a number of different supplements over the past few years to alleviate or lessen those symptoms. I am of proper weight and have no cholesterol or blood pressure problems and eat a very good diet with all the essential vitamins that supplements supposedly have.

2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I've commented before that I've been on a mega-supplement program before. I stopped because most things I read said that if you are deficient in a given vitamin or mineral, you will notice a difference when you start taking it. I never noticed a difference so I stopped.

I eat a varied diet. I eat one salad a day (when I was working I ate two), always eat fruit, rarely eat fast food, etc. But I still hedge my bets and take a supplement. Probably doesn't provide any benefit.

I have high cholesterol that early on was able to control with a radical diet change (no meat, lots of beans & whole grains & rice), but I could not maintain that lifestyle long-term. If I go off my statins, it skyrockets. Blood pressure has always been very low.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  3. Trevalius Guyus

Trevalius Guyus Veteran Member
    Registered

My Dad turned me on to Red Yeast Rice, a natural statin, about twenty years ago. I cut my trigs in half, in a month. My MD, at the time, had his nurse call me to let me know that he would never doubt me, again. He suggests RYR to his patients, now.

Glucosamine definitely keeps my arthritis at bay. Without it, my fingers can barely bend without pain.

When my Dad was "diagnosed" with prostate cancer, I had a feeling that was nonsense. I told him to start taking Turmeric. Six months later, his urologist was scratching his head wondering where the tumor had gone. He told my Dad to keep doing what he was doing.

I take other supplements, but have no "difference between day and night" experiences with those.

The costs of supplements are rocketing up, these days. I spend about $600/yr. on them. I have zero doubt about their effectiveness. I'm a believer!

4. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

For someone who has a decent diet and lives a sedentary life then I can’t see the need for most supplements. In my book, vitamin C is a no contest as far as the greater need and D3 isn’t far behind but again, if the person isn’t very active then it doesn’t take much to stay reasonably well.

That said, I do not live a sedentary life and in most ways, a very unusual life for someone my age so what I take are highly needed. It’s a given that there are times when I do not need as much as other times but instead of having to restart a loading process I stay consistent with my intake.
    Do note: There is no such diet that I or any other person who is concerned with building clean muscle mass can go on that would have enough nutrients that would properly feed all the necessary parameters that my body needs.

Trevalius Guyus likes this.
  5. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Why do you believe much is said and written about greedy companies ? (drug companies, food industry, supplements, cosmetics, doctors, hospitals, schools at all levels, politicians, hollywood/ churches/ / broadcasting/ computers/ phones/ etcv etc etc )

6. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

There are a lot of supplements out there that will not be noticeable but are highly needed as we grow older.
    As an example, Boron is a trace mineral found in some meats and veggies like broccoli but the problem is, the soil is so worn out that a person would have to eat some major pounds of broccoli to get enough boron to do any good.
    What’s it good for? Mental acuity / clarity and it is a major player in building bone mass. It also helps regulate the production of estrogen and testosterone.
    It’s a given that as we grow older we lose a considerable amount of bone mass so by taking a boron supplement the loss is not only curtailed but reversed.
    Now, when a doctor finds a loss of bone mass or osteoporosis, out comes the prescription pad and the patient starts medicating when the chances are, all that is truly needed is a natural substitute that costs so little and does so much,

Granted, there are a lot of products out there that are only needed by a specific group of people but are touted as being great for all. I mean, telling the public that they need not exercise but instead, take a supplement to lose weight and build muscle is absurd. But still, when folks don’t bother to do the research they buy products that they either do not need or do not work as advertised.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2020
    Jeff Elohim likes this.
  7. John Brunner

THAT statement contributed to my taking supplements in the first place. But I have no way to measure it.

Sunny Bonet and Bobby Cole like this.
  8. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

That’s where the rubber meets the road John. Great comment.
    When I write, “do the research” I mean to leave no stone unturned. When I get my blood tested every 6 months, I have them do a hormone panel and like my wife, get a read out so I can look at ALL the results. When they ask if I want a bone density test, yup, do it. I want to know.

Now, things like melatonin go unchallenged because as we age our pituitary gland slows down on the production of it and all but stops after about 50 years old. We need it so I take 10mg a night and sleep well. It’s a lot cheaper than a lot of market supplements that have side effects included and all I am doing is replacing what my body should be producing naturally.

It’s harsh but the folks who do not do the research deserve what they get. I know. When I first started bodybuilding I snatched everything that I could afford to make working out more productive. Then, one by one I started doing what I should have done to begin with (research) and found out that half of what I was using didn’t mean beans or I wasn’t using them properly but it took a lot of study.
    Now, I know what I need to know about my body chemistry, how things work and what my body needs to accomplish the goals I am shooting for.
    And, as a side note, I know and do what my body needs in order to give my body more than a fighting chance to ward off disease.

Sunny Bonet likes this.
  9. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't know a problem that the body is not trying to repair . There is things like a cataract that if catch early can be reversed but later needs surgery. Supplements are necessary, you supplement plants called fertilizer, look at any pet food and see how many minerals are added even farmers put out a salt block [mineral block] for their animals. If you think people are so special eating foods that do not have the nourishment that the foods 100 years ago had. Than you will have problems that the medical system says they can not cure.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  10. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

We take supplements. My wife takes RYR every morning. We both take B12, D3, K2 and Krll Oil every morning. Every-other day, we take a digestive supplement at night. My wife takes Turmeric every morning, but I don't anymore. It doesn't get along with the Omeprazole I take first thing in the morning for stomach acid. If I don't take my Omeprazole in the morning, and have a cup or two of coffee, I'm pretty guaranteed that I'll be chewing up a few Tums during the day.

We both take a "Senior" type multivitamin daily, along with the above supplements............and they all seem to work. Whatever "work" means. LOL

11. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

If you don't know what works then why take them?

12. Jeff Elohim

Registered

Possibly true. For now.

Would you like a way to "measure" / test the effects of food, drink, supplement, and so on ?

Sunny Bonet likes this.
  13. Jeff Elohim

Registered

A lot of people die taking medicine that is known to cause severe problems ..... instead of taking food source items that have no known bad effects...

Why take the medicines that cause suffering and death ?

14. Jeff Elohim

Registered

Some of the members apparently do "research" (at least one other one noted today) to find out what they can.

Everyone who "researches" antacids , as far as I am aware for over twenty years, stops taking them. (and does better doing so - as found by their own "research" or self- testing) ...

15. John Brunner

Of course I would.

Lots of micro-nutrients you assume must be present in order for the plant to grow...but of course, that's an invalid assumption.

Sunny Bonet likes this.