My Weird Job

Discussion in 'Jobs I Have Had' started by Steve North, Nov 25, 2015.

1. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

When I was just finished High School and before I went to University, I had a job that will beat any...
    I was a draftsman making plans for different organisations..
    One of the first jobs was as a draftsman working for a company called "Dominion blast and fallout shelters" designing fallout shelters for residential use....
    In those days, there was the threat of a nuclear attack in Montreal and some idiot went ahead and opened up a company selling these items.. They wound be built in the basement of the house or underground from the house.. So many people had their foundation broken up to put one of these things in.. They were big enough to lodge a family for several weeks..
    They were not cheap either...
    I was pair extremely well to make the blue prints of each project he sold, and he sold MANY !!!!!

Eventually the public realised it was a joke that we would not be attacked by a nuclear bomb in Montreal.. The company then closed and I moved on to another job as a draftsman..

Terry Page likes this.
  2. Cheryl Torrie

Cheryl Torrie Veteran Member
    Registered

It's funny that you wrote about your weirdest job being a draftsman when my first thought about my weirdest job was working as a copy and file clerk for draftsmen. They weren't designing bomb shelters :) but they were designing gear boxes for paper mills and large manufacturing companies. The weird thing about my job there was that I didn't have a clue what was on the drawings so none of the work was stimulating. I found my own way to stay mentally challenged while running the plotter and working with drawings that were hieroglyphics to me. I wrote a mental play. I created a plot, characters and a story line that I envisioned each time I went there. Weird thing is I find myself working on that same plot when ever I am filing and this is over twenty five years later.

Ike Willis likes this.