N F L Greed

Discussion in 'Sports & Recreation' started by Richard Whiting, Dec 4, 2022.

1. Richard Whiting

Richard Whiting Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Every year that passes, the NFL takes tighter and tighter financial control of which games are seen only by paying. When i was younger, all games were free on TV. Remember those great games on Monday Night Football ? Long since passed. Now we must pay to see MNF. The same goes for Thursday Night Football.

Not so long ago, there were two Sunday games, first thing in the morning. Followed later by 2 more games.
    Now, first thing on Sunday, there is only one game (am). Not only that but the worst games are shown on TV.

I predict that soon we will have to pay to watch ANY game.

The NFL owners are constantly looking for any way to make ever more money. A few years back, the stadiums had names such as 3 Rivers Stadium or Astro Dome or Super Dome. Now, they have names such as Mercedes Benz Stadium and Levi's Stadium or AT&T Stadium. Everything is for sale. Greed. Ever more greed.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2022
    Bobby Cole and Marie Mallery like this.
  2. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Times they are a changing. Many corporations are going down now because of radicalism or greed.
    Find something you can enjoy and try to be as content as possible,thats all I can say.
    Personally, after the first bent knee I'd been done with sports, but then I still listen to music, and they aren't exactly 'saints' so guess I'm hard up for entertainment too.
    Sorry one of Americas most entertaining revenues had to go WOKE, CRONEY and soon BROKE.
    I can't even imagine how I'd feel if I were young today. That is who I feel for. We oldsters had it all.
    That doesn't mean we should give up.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2022
  3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I totally agree. My husband and I were having this exact conversation recently. Taxpayers PAID FOR THOSE STADIUMS yet can't watch a game on OTA TV. How absurd is that??

I'm happy to say that three or so years ago when the NFL "took a knee," we have not watched a game since. They need to stay the hell out of political/social commentary and just do what they are overpaid to do. Anyhow, we haven't missed them at all and are watching more ice hockey and basketball these days.

4. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I stopped watching when it became political as well, and, although I believe that American and Canadian Football are the perfect sport, I now find I cannot watch an entire game even if I want to do so, even college games that I used to love.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  5. Beth Gallagher

Registered

My husband was a Cowboys' fan for over 50 years but he turned them off without a backward glance. He does enjoy college games, though... we were glued to GA/LSU yesterday. (Go DAWGS!!)

Bobby Cole and Don Alaska like this.
  6. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, we don't let the old "bent knees" stop us from watching NFL games on Sunday and Monday. Thursday game we don't get anymore, but........"that's just the way it is". As far as the cost goes, today's salaries are very different (higher) than yesteryears. We have a friend who (retired now) was an Engineer for Ford Motor Company and his two sons make a much higher salary than he ever did and they are Engineers also.

7. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Those NFL players that are allowed to kneel during the anthem are essentially turning their backs on those who gave them the freedom to take that knee so in return, I have turned my back on the whole bunch of overpaid insignificant whiners.

Other than a few noteworthy players, most of those concussion prone millionaires wouldn’t give the time of day to person, family or a bonafide charity in need. If it wasn’t for getting a tax break, the only thing they’d think about is getting rich and getting those material things that riches can get.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2022
    Yvonne Smith and Don Alaska like this.
  8. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I haven't watched a football game since they started taking a knee. But then, I never watched a football game before they took a knee, either.

Don Alaska likes this.
  9. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, Bobby, many people will say "Living in America, we can protest whatever and however." And, for you information, in case you didn't know this, NFL teams/players are always giving money and time to different things. When watching an NFL game, that is shown during 1/2 time or before the game starts.

10. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I recently posted a thread about the USA Women's Soccer players getting half of the earnings of the men's team when the men's team won the World's Cup. That is greed. That is entitlement. At least the NFL provides a service that people may choose to buy...or not. What women's soccer players do is outright theft...for doing nothing!

11. Beth Gallagher

Registered

It is not theft at all. It was a collective bargaining AGREEMENT. I don't believe it's right, but they didn't ask me. Just the grown up version of "everyone gets a trophy."

12. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I really wish you’d read my posts completely Cody.
    I did specify that there are a few noteworthy players and added that some players use charities as a tax break.

Now, added to that tax break is a lot of PR that goes on which paints those players as being literal saints among men.
    When a good person is found out to be a philanthropist, it is because other people who have benefitted from that philanthropy are speaking up, not a player’s PR team at half time.

All that said, I’m not in any way telling other people (or you) they shouldn’t watch NFL games or whatever makes them feel entertained but for me, if I wish to watch a political protest, I won’t be watching some whiny millionaire football players doing it.

Don Alaska likes this.
  13. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Ok, took you wrong. Actually, I never gave the "tax break" a thought, but you are right. I remember when Opray Winfrey gave away fantastic gifts to her studio audience. And, Ellen DeGeneres done the same thing. There was a lady that lived in Hawaii that asked her boss for time off to fly to the Opray Show for the Christmas giveaway. Her boss told her "sorry, no", so she quit the job and went.

14. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Actually, Oprah just took credit for the "giveaways." I remember when "she" gave away the cars; they were actually provided by Pontiac... not Oprah.

Bobby Cole and Don Alaska like this.
  15. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Exactly! GM donated the cars and Oprah took the credit. I had never really liked her, but that was the beginning of the research where I found what a fraud she really was. She was pimping out girls in Africa and telling everybody what a wonderful person she was...and many people still admire that woman.

Bobby Cole and Beth Gallagher like this.