Never Binge Again!

Discussion in 'Diets & Dieting' started by Yvonne Smith, Jan 31, 2018.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I discovered this website when the ebook turned up on my Bookbub (or maybe it was Book Gorilla ?) list for the day, and since it was free and sounded interesting, I got it from the Kindle Store and downloaded it to my Kindle Fire to read.
    This book is NOT a diet plan, by any means. The author does not recommend any specific diets, or foods to eat or not eat; he simply puts forth an interesting idea to help anyone stop bingeing on foods and take back control of their eating habits.

Without trying to describe the book, I will try and give a short explanation of his ideas, and plan to stop binge eating.
    Apparently, the inner motivation for binge-eating comes from what is called the lizard/reptile part of our brain, which only relates to eating, killing, or mating with anything it sees, and when it sees food, it wants to eat ALL of it.
    Accompany that with most of our modern foods, which are designed to stimulate the pleasure centers of our brains , and you have a brain and body that is primed to binge on foods that stimulate the pleasure centers of the brain.
    By separating this “Pig” part of your brain from the “You” part of your brain, you can learn to keep the pig in his cage and eat the things that you know are healthy food choices.

This guy is a great writer, and it is an interesting book to read (and don’t forget FREE !) and the plan works with any kind of diet, so it does not matter if you are a carnivore, omnivore, vegetarian, or vegan.
    You can also sign up for emails that help explain the book in even more detail.
    I have been reading the book, and am now working on getting the parameters set up for what kind of eating plan will work best for me, and that I can follow without a lot of stress.

https://www.neverbingeagain.com/MobileHome.php

2. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

It sounds something like "Overeaters Anonymous" which uses the 12 step program..
    again that system works very well providing one follow the steps properly....

3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I have binge eating problems but I don't want to read the book...can you give a quick tip on how not to binge and retrain my brain?

The reptile/lizard brain mention turned me off unfortunately:)

4. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I like to binge once in a while especially on a bag of white cheddar popcorn. :)

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  5. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I make my own popcorn in a microwave popper so it's low calorie and low sodium....but too much popcorn can make my stomach hurt.

6. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I love popcorn and it's good fiber for me too...even so I don't binge often on it...and when I do it's gotta be the white cheddar popcorn. :)

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  7. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I was just reading today that Apple Corporation will be giving away 1,000 Apple Watches to a company that is doing a study about binge eating.
    I have the information , and all you need to do is go to the website, call them, and see about signing up for the research study.
    When I called, I got an answering machine and just left a short message and phone number.
    To be in the study, you have to have an iPhone, at least a generation 5, so that it can pair with an Apple Watch. The first link explains about the program, and the second link is for the research center that is doing the actual study.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/14/app...es-for-a-new-study-to-track-binge-eating.html

https://www.med.unc.edu/psych/eatingdisorders/research/participate-in-a-study/begin-study/

8. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I only binge on occasion and usually potato chips but Ive never purged so I don't think I'd qualify as a true binger.

In 67 years I think Ive only thrown up twice. I'm not even sure about that, just guessing I did as a child when sick.

Never as an adult, never even while pregnant.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  9. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

haha, good - people do not have a reptile/lizard metabolism nor part of their brain - that is a made up social construct for sales of products.... like alligator purses and shoes ? :) haha

That's not "unfortunately" that you did not like that mention - I think it is good you saw that and don't like it.

Later you mention not binge eating much , and usually on potato chips ? That is so common (my son and I do that with some things, some times)..... it may be caused by a particular or a general deficiency - a need for something, just like when salt is needed, the body knows it, and sometimes the brain knows it too ....

The oldest simplest help though, even when not binge eating involved, just for general life purposes, is

to take a teaspoonful or tablespoonful of fresh lemon in a glass or half a glass full of distilled water, most common with meals, but if it is easy on the stomach then anytime is good - besides qwelling the appetite, it helps the liver more than any other 'food' I know of.... which then helps the rest of the body since the liver controls and does so much....